Author Topic: [SUG] Talismans for "max N skill types"  (Read 5843 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG] Talismans for "max N skill types"
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Possible idea:

Use the "three panels" idea, but instead of blank, put a questionmark on each one. Then, replace the one for "total skills" with a new icon - a single panel with an asterisk on it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM »
I think that would be confusing and doesn't do much to help the player understand the distinction between the two. It's true that no suggestion so far is really good and clear, but at the very least, I think "skill types" and "total skills" should not have icons that are too similar. Also, I really like the crosshairs icon for "total skills" -- that one is good and clear, and shouldn't be changed.

My favourite suggestion so far for "skill types" is the three blank panels. No question mark or asterisk; those could lead to confusion or wrong interpretation.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
Implemented in commit 8cc7fc2, with a further fix in 985b5cd.

Leaving this open because:
a) not yet properly tested
b) still need to add editor support
c) a better idea for an icon could still come up
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:04:24 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
Further to this, because it will be very little additional work on top of this, and quite useful, I'm going to also add "fewest skill types" to the records that NeoLemmix tracks. One line I am drawing on that though: It will purely track quantity only, not which combination(s) were used to achieve it.

EDIT: Implemented in commit 333ef40.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:17:05 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 09:01:49 AM »
Maybe replace the != in Simon's proposal with the word max, or perhaps <= instead?

EDIT: Didn't see the second page of replies. Anyway, just throwing the suggestion out there. This isn't intended to express an opinion regarding which proposed option is the best.