Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Hotkeys for min and max release rate  (Read 1333 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Hotkeys for min and max release rate
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
We have the ability to instantly flick to the minimum or maximum release rate by right-clicking on the buttons, but it would be convenient to be able to do the same with hotkeys.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Hotkeys for min and max release rate
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
I agree with the idea itself, but I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is:

a) A "modifier" key that when pressed together with the normal hotkey, acts as an insta-max / insta-min? This could of course be a general "modifier" that has effects with other hotkeys too (eg. for timeskips, perhaps it multiplies their duration by 10?). Downside: Could be tricky implementation-wise; can be hard to discover for new users.

b) A "gesture" type setup - if you hold one release rate hotkey then press the other, it instantly goes to min / max (I feel that "hold the direction you want to go, then push the other" is more natural, but others might disagree here). Downside: Might be awkward to some people; isn't quite "instant" if the game isn't paused.

c) Double-press to min / max? The downside is of course, you might just genuinely want to make several successive small adjustments; as well as that this too isn't quite instant.

d) Implement a "increase faster when key is held". Eg. perhaps it goes up by RR1 per frame at first, but after it's gone up by 10 it starts jumping up by RR10 at a time? (This is a common setup I've seen where + / - buttons for a value exist, both in games and in app UI. I don't know if there's an actual name for it.) This is probably a nice idea in general actually, but doesn't truly solve the problem, just makes hotkeying to min / max less inconvenient.

e) Just go the simple way - have "minimum RR" and "maximum RR" hotkeys, separate from the "increase" / "decrease". This is by far the easiest way to implement, but we've got a LOT of hotkey functions these days - to the point that no layout has a default assigned key for everything (eg. slow-motion is not by default included in either layout).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Hotkeys for min and max release rate
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 04:16:33 AM »
Implemented as a simple "seperate key altogether" in ecddfe7, backported to 12.8 in d5b3cbd.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)