Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] User interface and neutrals  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[DISCUSSION] User interface and neutrals
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Thinking about the recent discussion of nuking and neutrals, I realised there is a problem to be solved concerning the user interface.

At the moment, three values are displayed: (1) lemmings still in hatch; (2) total lemmings alive, including hatch; (3) lemmings saved minus the save requirement.

(3) is unproblematic; and if neutral hatches exist, the purpose of displaying (1) is so the player knows when the last lemming comes out, so clearly the right call is to make this value include neutrals.

The difficulty comes with (2). If it doesn't include neutrals, then you can't compare (2) and (3) to know whether you are in an unwinnable state. If it does include neutrals, then there's nothing in the UI specifying the number of active lemmings available, and in particular, nothing that points out when you have no more active lemmings.

Maybe (2) should be replaced by two separate indicators, for the number of active lemmings remaining and the number of neutrals remaining (including hatch in both)?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] User interface and neutrals
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
I think there are easier solutions than 2 seperate indicators, which would be additional clutter on the UI:

First of all, I think the number should include neutrals.

Idea: Colors with active count.

"Green" (for example) if there are still controllable lemmings out there.

Turning to "yellow" (for example) if there are only neutral lemmings left alive.

Optional: An additional color for the situation neutrals+controllable. So that only neutrals, only controllable and the mixed state have their own color.

This would show you immidiatly if there are still controllable lemmings out there, but wouldn't call out the exact current number of controllable lemmings though.

If this should also be fixed:
The exact current number of controllable lemmings (only if neutrals are present) could be displayed in brackets next to it. Yes, this is technically an additional number, but would need an extra symbol and therefore less space.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »
I might have missed something. What are 'neutrals'?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
Lemmings that can't be assigned skills, but move and interact with objects as normal, and count towards the save requirement when they exit. It's a planned feature that is likely to be added pretty soon.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
I think there are easier solutions than 2 seperate indicators, which would be additional clutter on the UI:

First of all, I think the number should include neutrals.

Idea: Colors with active count.

"Green" (for example) if there are still controllable lemmings out there.

Turning to "yellow" (for example) if there are only neutral lemmings left alive.

Optional: An additional color for the situation neutrals+controllable. So that only neutrals, only controllable and the mixed state have their own color.

This would show you immidiatly if there are still controllable lemmings out there, but wouldn't call out the exact current number of controllable lemmings though.

This sounds good to me. Unless we replace the current action text with graphical icons, there is not enough room to fit yet another number on the panel; but recoloring sounds feasible.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
Sounds like a good solution to me.

What about also turning the "lemmings remaining" number red when it falls below the number needed to meet the save requirement? There used to be a "blink" option for this, and I'm not entirely sure why that got removed, but a red number would be a less obtrusive way to indicate this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 09:28:19 PM »
Commit 5892892 implements the recoloring for neutrals. When no neutrals exist, the lemming count is green. When only neutrals exist, the lemming count is yellow. When both exist, it's cyan.

I have not implemented a "not enough remain to complete the level" at this stage. Let's make that a separate topic, and I'll most likely consider it for V12.8.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)