Author Topic: Your first Lemmings experience?  (Read 13972 times)

Deathman48

Re: Your first Lemmings experience?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 05:00:14 PM »
I mean don't get me wrong, I know each person is going to find some levels harder than others and that we're all going to find different levels hard, but even so there's no escaping the fact that on a level where the exit is in the other direction and the only tool you have is one blocker, it doesn't take a genius to work out how to solve it. But some 3 levels prior to that one (Present level 4) you've got to navigate around various traps and whatnot. Levels 27-29 on Sunsoft were probably the 3 hardest levels I've ever done, but the last level was simple for me. It was just frustrating to get stuck on a random level, then pass the next 5 in a flash.

Edit - Sorry, I meant Sunsoft 27-29, not Present 27-29.

tseug

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 08:03:31 PM »
Present 29 and Sunsoft 29 are some of the hardest levels in the game (still haven't passed them, mybe I'm just scared of precision), while present 30 and sunsoft 30 were easy (for me, don't know about anyone else). At least in present the last few levels are hard and the rest are easy, but in sunsoft it seems almost random (what was with 21??????).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »
Well, I know different people find different levels hard, but I am very surprised that anyone should have problems with Present 27. And that's not considering the ridiculous backroutes (find two different ways to pass the level with no builders.......)

I still haven't solved Present 30, but then, I haven't had time to look at it since I got back from Australia.

What was with Sunsoft 21, tseug? For me that was one of the hardest in the Sunsoft category, right up there with Sunsoft 9 and 30.

tseug

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 09:03:57 PM »
Sunsoft 9 gave me some trouble, but Sunsoft 30 was only moderate difficulty to me, maybe because it's just my kind of level. I found present 30 even easier, it just looked forboding with all those fire traps. I thought present 27 was a nice level, but certainly not difficult.

EDIT: I've been trying present 29. My best so far is 19/20, because ONE LEMMING fell off the screen! This is getting annoying! :P

EDIT2: I got it! Now I wonder how other people did it, that seemed too hard, even for a 29th level.

Deathman48

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »
Oops. I meant Sunsoft 27-29, not Present 27-29. >_< Though present 29 did give me some problems. Sunsoft 29 has got to be probably the most precise level I've ever done, I'm not even going to try and attempt the 100% solution that tseug hinted at in another thread even though it's been proven possible.
Quote from: tseug link=1132002904/30#33 date=1132434237
EDIT: I've been trying present 29. My best so far is 19/20, because ONE LEMMING fell off the screen! This is getting annoying! :P

A Lemmings fell off the screen? =/ Where the hell did that happen? I can barely see anywhere where a Lemming can actually fall off the map save for the gap you're supposed to build over. If you mean he fell out of the cell then I can understand that though.

As for the other levels mentioned, ccexplore had to help me with Sunsoft 9, in the end it was a stupid thing I hadn't seen. And oh my God, Sunsoft 21 gave me a hell of a lot of problems. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to beat it myself but recently I was doing a walkthrough for this game (mentioned some of you guys and this site at the bottom of it as I'd never have beaten some levels without the people here ^^) and I had extreme difficulties executing a solution for Sunsoft 21 just to make sure it was correct. >_< Sunsoft 30 was ok for me.

I'm curious though, what are people's solutions for Sunsoft 28, The Gate Trap Lemmings? I can't even remember my original solution for that and the one I put in my Walkthrough just barely works. I think of all the 120 levels in the Mega Drive version of this game, I'm most proud of the fact I beat that level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2005, 12:10:18 AM »
Quote from: Deathman48 link=1132002904/30#34 date=1132439768
I'm curious though, what are people's solutions for Sunsoft 28, The Gate Trap Lemmings?
It's a while ago now and I don't remember exactly how I did it, but from looking at the diagram, something like this should work:

Make the first lemming from the right group block before the edge. Make the *last* lemming from the left group dig down the left edge of the one-way wall, then bash when he reaches the part with right-facing arrows. Build a landing platform for the right lemmings, then dig and bash under the blocker. Release the left lemmings by bashing left, then turn one round on the "step" just before the exit so he can bash to release the others.

EDIT: just tried it and it works fine. I was extra-cautious and used three builders for the landing platform (starting from the middle of the ledge before the gap) but possibly you could get away with two. You would then finish with two builders and one basher left, as well as, of course, the floater and bomber.

tseug

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2005, 12:19:46 AM »
The lemming fell off the screen, down past the bottom edge, down the gap that you have to build over. When I actually did the level it was still pretty close. So, how did other people do the level?

Deathman48

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2005, 12:53:32 AM »
Are you still talking about Present 29 there? The way I did it was have the first Lemming dig down the right pillar, he'll hit the steel and leave him there. With the next Lemming, dig through the beam pretty far right, then dig and put each Lemming in turn in each of the little square cells starting with the left one. With the final Lemming, there's an icicle dangling down to the left of the trap, dig above that and he'll survive the fall. Then he'll walk into the wall and turn around, then he can build over the gap and bash to the exit. Dig to release each Lemming from the square cell in turn, making sure not to break the wall to the next one, and then when they're all down, bash left to get them under the steel wall. You shouldn't be trying to get Lemmings over the gap before the bridge is built, which is why I'm having trouble seeing how you're losing a Lemming anywhere.

Quote from: Ahribar link=1132002904/30#35 date=1132445418
Make the first lemming from the right group block before the edge. Make the *last* lemming from the left group dig down the left edge of the one-way wall, then bash when he reaches the part with right-facing arrows. Build a landing platform for the right lemmings, then dig and bash under the blocker. Release the left lemmings by bashing left, then turn one round on the "step" just before the exit so he can bash to release the others.

Ah, nice. My solution was way more complicated. XD I bashed dug/mined (can't remember which now) and bashed with the left Lemmings. I used the last Lemming from there to build to turn around, bashed right and build over to make the platform. I contained the right Lemmings by digging a pit and letting one Lemming bash away the wooden step so that the Lemmings could survive the fall. Can I steal your solution for my walkthrough please? XD

I take my earlier comment back by the way. Mayhem 19, "Time to get up!" is the hardest, most annoying level in the game. Having to time those 2 bombers to perfection without a save state would be so unbelievably annoying. >_<

tseug

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2005, 02:14:49 AM »
This is a saved state near the end. It doesn't show everything that happened but it should give you a pretty good idea. It fits with my tradition of finding crazy backroutes instead of what was intended.

Deathman48

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2005, 02:48:24 AM »
Damn, how did you get the Lemmings to the bottom without them going splat? =/

Did you follow what I meant by my method? I can take a screenshot if you like. I think you might have to try and do it the intended way, or at least a semi intended way because I've not seen anyone ever mention a backroute for this level.

tseug

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2005, 05:59:03 AM »
Your method makes sense, and seems like it was intended. Mine is evidently a crazy backroute. You can look at the whole level by scrolling, and you should see a path that lets them survive.

For those who want a challenge, try doing present 29 using no more than 10 diggers. (The savestate gives it away, so don't look if you want to figure it out for yourself)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2005, 12:01:40 PM »
Quote from: Deathman48 link=1132002904/30#37 date=1132448012
Can I steal your solution for my walkthrough please? XD
Make it simpler still by combining our solutions -- my blocker trick plus your way of dealing with the left side.

Deathman48

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2005, 03:27:21 PM »
Thanks, I'll credit you for it in there. ^^ If anyone wants to see and/or critique them then let me know. =P

Quote from: tseug link=1132002904/30#40 date=1132466343
Your method makes sense, and seems like it was intended. Mine is evidently a crazy backroute. You can look at the whole level by scrolling, and you should see a path that lets them survive.

Yeah, looks like it because there's just enough holding cells for everyone to allow the other 2 Lemmings to do the other work. Also seems like you got your way to work as well, which is pretty impressive. I still can't see how you were able to make all the Lemmings survive the fall, but it's still impressive.

Edit - No wait, I can see how you did it. That is impressive, I don't think I ever even saw the potential for that in the entire level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »
Quote from: Deathman48 link=1132002904/30#42 date=1132500441
Thanks, I'll credit you for it in there. ^^ If anyone wants to see and/or critique them then let me know. =P
If you want to give me credit (which I don't insist on), my name is Michael S. Repton. And yes, I'd be very interested to see them!

Deathman48

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »
Ooh right, I credited you as your Username here because I link to the forum in my walkthrough because of the help I got here. Here they are, working on one for Taxing/Mayhem levels now which is half done. Bear in mind I don't have the knowledge of most people here so where some levels may have easy backroutes, a lot of them I probably don't know about, so most of them probably aren't listed. It's more a walkthrough for just beating the game, not saving the maximum amount of Lemmings all the time. Comments are welcome, in PM or at either of my emails is probably best.

I was drawn to Lemmings by the simplicity of the early levels and the nice colours, but damn, the later levels really had me stumped when I was much younger, I look at them in a different way now and between 10 years old and 19 (which I am now) your brain develops quite a bit. I could have looked at some of these levels forever and not got the solution when I was younger. =/