Author Topic: Your first Lemmings experience?  (Read 13977 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Lemmings experience?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »
I'm already doing this, I just used WinLem when I didn't know about DosBox.

Prince of Persia was/is also one of my favourite games, and I have to agree again, I prefer playing more simple games.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 06:47:42 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover link=1132002904/0#14 date=1132086827
Geoo: A little council: Play Lemmings and Oh no! More Lemmings under Dosbox using the corrected versions of the game. These are better than WinLemm, in my opinion.
Really? &#A0;I never played WinLemm, but it does have the hi-resolution graphics. &#A0;Then again, I suppose that can count as a con, since the hi-res can conceivably make it a little harder to do precision moves.

Winlemm

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 07:04:28 PM »
Yup , Lem1 and 2 are the best.Dragonlovers right. I find l2 better than l1 though ;) :) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8-) :-? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'( i have gone insane with smilys :exclamation :exclamation :exclamation :exclamation

Jazzem

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 07:55:56 PM »
Lemmings does work best on the old computers if the Archimedies is anything to go by. I've got a thriving temptation to get one again... It won't take up much space either, since I can use my current monitor with it.

You prefer 2 Winlemm? I like it, but I don't really like the choice you get with the levels. It results in a very wobbly difficulity curve. There's far too many new skills too. Still a great game though, I own the SNES version of it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 08:39:53 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132002904/15#18 date=1132170956
It results in a very wobbly difficulity curve. There's far too many new skills too. Still a great game though, I own the SNES version of it.
Wow, if you think the difficulty curve is wobbly in the SNES version......

Many levels were highly watered down in the SNES version, so the difficulty curve would be downright drunk in the more original versions like the Amiga, PC or Genesis/Megadrive.

Jazzem

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 09:12:40 PM »
Really? How bizarre. There's only 40 lemmings instead of the usual 60 too...

Aren't they aware that SNES players liked playing R Type III and Super Mario Kart 150cc?

Leviathan

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 10:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Conway link=1132002904/0#13 date=1132086783
Leviathan, I've always used a backroute in 'Race Against the Cliches'. I never touched the ceiling.

Could you PM me a detailed solution on that?
I've been stuck on this level for years...

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 03:39:14 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132002904/15#16 date=1132166862
Really?  I never played WinLemm, but it does have the hi-resolution graphics.  Then again, I suppose that can count as a con, since the hi-res can conceivably make it a little harder to do precision moves.
Well, to give some aspects of things I dislike at WinLem:
- If you want to select a skill to any lemming using WinLem, there's a delay of about two or three frames until the lemming is starting executing the skill.
- Zoom is only 1:1, 1:2 or 1:4. But IMO 1:3 would be the best since 1:2 is too small and 1:4 is too large.
- To scroll through the level, you have to use a scrollbar.
- There are a few differences in the game mechanics, e.g. an exploder turns everytime lemmings around, the causes another way possible to solve five alive; that means it makes it less compatible for playing CustLemm levels.
I btw never knew about the high-res graphics until it was mentioned in some relation to 0xdeadbeef's project since low-res is set default.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »
I agree with geoo. And also, climbers pass through the top of the level instead of falling back down.

Only the High-Res, the easy compatibility and the Speed Up button are good for Lemmings95. Lemmings Dos is better and is more "original"! ;)
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »
Back in 1994/95 when I was 7, me and my friend from Spain who was staying for the year in Britain found Lemmings and got a bit obsessed and I never really looked back. I got quite famous for it: even 4 years later one guy was still telling me how if I got a Playstation I could get Lemmings 3D (and I did, eventually, but much much more recently, and only by chance when I found it in a car boot sale). Similarly I've always had an obsession with Tintin, for even longer, and all my classmates have known about that. Even now my flatmates at university know that I like Tintin, because it's easier to show that I do...

Anyway, I digress.... yes.... first thing about Lemmings I ever saw was actually the gamebook in a book sale at my school, but my dad found a demo of the game at basically the same time, on a MacFormat floppy disc or something. What's more, it was an exclusive demo (I found it again more recently and it says that it was made especially), which contained the levels Only Floaters Can Survive This, They Just Keep On Coming, Lend A Helping Hand..., and And Then There Were Four.... . Me and my dad basically learnt Lemmings on that second, although by hesitant experimentation only. Floaters were already pretty obvious from the first level, and blockers and exploders had obvious uses. Miners were fairly self-evident as well, and I must have worked out climbers too. Builders, diggers and bashers took a bit longer: diggers again I must have just worked out. Builders were a source of amazement when we first actually tried them, for I had thought that they were wearing a stop sign, which couldn't be good. Finer points like the fact that you could build twice to get a longer bridge took a wee bit longer. Bashers took quite a bit longer because it's more difficult to time them properly if you don't know what you're doing, making it seem like the skill does nothing, so we used to try and use a complicated system of miners, which was impractical.
And once we'd got that the remaining levels were, while of harder difficulty, a lot easier to work out.
I played this over and over for quite a while because my dad wouldn't get the game immediately.
Me and my aforementioned Spanish friend read the gamebooks avidly, as well. They didn't make much sense at all at first because the storyline is heavily based around the storyline of The Tribes, especially in the first, although the second wasn't even out at the time. Avidly to the extent that we practically had contests over it and things like that. There were other things like how I eventually worked out a quick way of doing the shadow maze, and he practically refused to believe me. He also had Christmas Lemmings on his computer later on, but I never got to play it in the end, basically because his dad didn't really like computer games, except "educational ones". (who says lemmings isn't educational, eh? ::) :P) I also once got my teacher to read it to us in class, but that fell through after a few days iirc.
And I think it was for a Christmas (possibly birthday, but I doubt it because that's too close to the start of the school year) present that my dad got me the Lemmings/ONML combo boxset thingie for the mac. Never looked back. Amazing game ever since.

Other Lemmings escapades.... hmm....
I did design my own levels at some points in my life but they've almost all disappeared except ones I've done more recently. I made a couple with screenshots and "Fine Artist", which was a paint program for children, quite a few years later so maybe at the age of 12-14, even with Lemmings walking about on them and stuff, but only in the sand tileset. It was also fairly obvious that the game was made of tiles, even at the age of <10, and a couple of times I imagined what a new tileset might look like; one idea was some kind of flat-roofed house, a bit like one from Sim City 2000 (but let's not go there!).
Another fun thing I once did was with another friend, who I first met when I was 8, so it must have been that year, or the one after, but he had an Atari, and a copy of Lemmings for that (though he didn't play it as much as me). One time we played the two player version, which was simply amazing, as far as I was concerned. He never let me play it again though, even though I asked him he would just say I was obsessed or something (well fair enough). I don't think he enjoyed it as much (though he did); I remember he quit when we got to the last level; partly because it was too hard--I think I did both players for that level or something.
I only finally found out how to edit levels a couple of years ago, at least, but not more than 4 years ago. I don't think it was that long ago though. I think it was when the Lemmings Universe board was still around, and I definitely joined that board. I think I was jealous of people who had Lemedit, so I got ResEdit out and experimented with the code to work out how it worked. It had a convenient template, as I said somewhere else, so it wasn't toooo difficult, but it did take ages. And since then I've designed a lot more levels, but only a few are still around, and only a few have been implemented. I feel like I ought to do a couple more now given that Lemedit works now, and Cheapo when I'm at home.

And that brings me up to the present. My life story, ladies and gentlemen. ;) There's a few other unimportant details that I've left out, partly because I've now run out of space. This limit sucks, Andy. :P

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 07:09:30 PM »
What an amazing adventure Finlay! ;D

Heh! I just remembered something really stupid that I did one time: In a PC Magazine some years ago, there was Lemmings Paintball and I really really wanted it. So, I wrote in a birthday card (because it was near the birthday of my father) a little note about that I wanted it! What a good message for a Happy Birthday isn't it? ;D

Today, I still didn't know why I did that! I always considered that I was stupid in that time. Probably... :-[
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 07:59:50 PM »
I remember getting Lemmings on PC a while back. Maybe I was 8 or 9. Can't remember exactly. I remember playing for a while, then I had obscene problems passing Taxing 13 and Mayhem 9 (Very bizarre levels to be stuck on, in retrospect...) and quit for about 3 years, came back, and passed those and beat the game with few problems (Mayhem 20, basically).

I found out that I had ONML on the same disc before I gave up on Taxing 13/Mayhem 9 the first time. Played that for a while, and was discouraged at the huge difficulty swing from Tame to Crazy. In fact, I passed Havoc 1 before Crazy 2 or Wild or Wicked 1, all of which I got stuck on at that age (Never passed Havoc 2 at that age, though) and ignored it until I came back to the game. Levels I remember having problems with on ONML were Crazy 7 (if only for the precision), Crazy 10 (I passed Wild in its entirety and Wicked up until 10 before this one... and I STILL think it should be at least two whole sets higher in the game's ordering), Wicked 1/2/3/5 (Turned my away from the set for quite a while... I still say that these are four of the hardest 6 or 7 levels in Wicked), Wicked 10 (First time in my life I ever literally beat myself up over not being able to pass a level. Really), Havoc 4 (Yes, the race against cliches was very, very hard for me, also. I can't think of a way that DOESN'T use the ceiling here... but I think it was a massive oversight placing this so early in the set), Havoc 10 (A massive head-slap when I figured this out), Havoc 14 (I think the level I failed the most at in any Lemmings game), and Havoc 18 (Which, in my mind, is the hardest level in ONML. Most of you will disagree, but for my playing style, it's the worst level for me).

I only ever rented Lemmings 2, for SNES. I was proud of being able to pass everything with one lemming (At that age, I didn't realise the goal was to save the most possible lemmings in a tribe... and also had loads of problems with that one level in teh Classic set that needs a blocker to turn something). Didn't grasp that game too well.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »
Here's the levels I remember either myself or my dad getting stuck on when we played Lemmings together:

Lemmings
Tricky 19 - It took us a few days to figure it out.
Taxing 11 - My dad never did figure this one out, so I ended up beating it for him.
Taxing 15 - Only later did I realize that you can build over all of those spikes
Taxing 23 - Kept running out of builders
Taxing 29 - I had forgotten the climber/miner trick, and kept running out of builders.
Mayhem 5 - I figured out what to do pretty quickly. &#A0;Executing it was another matter.
Mayhem 7 - This is probably the best story of all the levels we got stuck on. &#A0;We saw that there were seven columns, but only four bashers, and we had no idea how to proceed. &#A0;At one point, I mentioned that I was able to save one lemming, and my dad asked how I did it. &#A0;I told him that I sent a climber up, and he climbed all of the towers and built to the exit. &#A0;My dad then beat the level shortly afterward, saying that my use of the climber gave him the idea to dig through the poles.
Mayhem 28 - This one took about three weeks before we found a solution that doesn't run out of builders.

ONML
Wicked 2 - It took us a while to find a way to keep the final builder from hitting his head.I never did get the "back door" approach (the one that uses the cavity on the right side of the level) to work. &#A0;I have the right amount of skills, but I always run out of time.
Wicked 9 - For some reason (I don't know why), my dad just gave up on this one. &#A0;It took me only a few minutes to beat it for him.
Wicked 10 - After beating Wicked 9 while my dad was at work, I tried the next level. &#A0;I eventually beat it, but the backroute solution I had found required pixel-perfect timing in about three places. &#A0;I never did find the intended solution until a couple of years ago.
Wicked 18 - My dad spent hours trying to navigate through the icicles and the trap underneath the big iceberg. &#A0;I found the "over the top" route several years later.
Havoc 19 - This one took several weeks to figure out. &#A0;Today, I am much more experienced, and I once beat it using only three(!) builders.
Havoc 20 - Bomber timing -- ugh. &#A0;Usually, it doesn't bother me too much, but when you need to be almost perfect, and one mistake makes you have to start over, it is just nasty.

Deathman48

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132002904/15#19 date=1132173593
Many levels were highly watered down in the SNES version, so the difficulty curve would be downright drunk in the more original versions like the Amiga, PC or Genesis/Megadrive.

The difficulty curve on the Present/Sunsoft levels on the Mega Drive version was ridiculous. You could be going along fine and then suddenly hit an impossible level, before finding that the next one was dead simple. =/

My first Lemmings experience was probably when I was about 9 years old and played the PC version of Lemmings. I've also got a distinct memory of never being able to do the Superlemming level from ONML. I can pass it now, I just vividly remember being stuck at the end when I was younger. =P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 11:18:27 AM »
Quote from: Deathman48 link=1132002904/15#28 date=1132352152
The difficulty curve on the Present/Sunsoft levels on the Mega Drive version was ridiculous. You could be going along fine and then suddenly hit an impossible level, before finding that the next one was dead simple. =/
All the difficult sets (Taxing, Mayhem, and ONML excluding Tame) were like that, though. I remember being stuck on Mayhem 26 for so long I decided I might as well use the codes I'd found in a magazine to look at what the next level was like, and it turned out to be Just a Minute (Part Two)!!!

And then, the levels are as difficult as you find them, and some players might find one level really difficult that others find easy. I got completely stuck on Mayhem 21 -- couldn't figure it out at all. Yet it's actually really simple, especially compared to Mayhem 20, which involves a completely new and unexpected trick -- and I got past that with no problem whatever.