Author Topic: [WIP] L3DEdit: Lemmings 3D Level Editor - Development Topic  (Read 18903 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [WIP] L3DEdit: Lemmings 3D Level Editor - Development Topic
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:26 AM »
Here's up-to-date screenshots of the same levels I've posted earlier in the topic - look at the differences! :D

Take A Dive hasn't changed too much from the recent ones, though look at the area near the exit.

Family Tree also hasn't really changed much; just some textures that are correct that weren't before.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
There's probably nothing to be found here, but just in case - if anyone feels like doing something tedious and boring, extract this to your Lemmings 3D LEVELS folder, then let me know if any level between Fun 1 and Tricky 12 can be played without L3D crashing (and which one(s)).

Not looking into this myself because I feel other stuff is more promising, but it's here in case anyone else wants to try.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
I've gone through the test levels, and here's my findings.

All levels crashed (Error: A block definition has more than 8 points) except the following:
Code: [Select]
   Fun 06  Loaded and playable
   Fun 10  Loaded and playable
   Fun 16  Loaded and playable
   Fun 18  Loaded and playable
   Fun 20  Loaded, playable, but crashes on restart

Tricky 02  Loaded and playable
Tricky 04  Loaded, hangs on preview, hangs on gameplay at certain viewing angles
Tricky 06  Loaded and playable
Tricky 09  Loaded, playable, game hangs at very particular viewing angles (much easier to reproduce using preview)
Tricky 12  Loaded, playable, but crashes on restart if test block has been observed

None of these levels produced a good block.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
These correspond to:

Block type 0x0E / Slices b0101
Block type 0x0E / Slices b1001
Block type 0x0E / Slices b1111
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0001
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0011
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0101
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0111
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1001
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1100
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1111

I notice several of the ones that work have invalid slice values. :O
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
These correspond to:

Block type 0x0E / Slices b0101
Block type 0x0E / Slices b1001
Block type 0x0E / Slices b1111
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0001
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0011
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0101
Block type 0x0F / Slices b0111
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1001
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1100
Block type 0x0F / Slices b1111

I notice several of the ones that work have invalid slice values. :O

The reason the slice value bits have to be consecutive is because it's the only way you are able to prevent more than 8 points (or vertices) from being used to create a standard three-dimensional shape. Block types 0x0E and 0x0F are undefined, so weird things are happening here.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
Here's a few new screenshots. If you squint really hard, you might notice a difference from earlier ones (other than just that these are mostly different levels).
My Lemmings projects

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
I've never played Lemmings 3D myself, once this project is playable, it may be my first chance to play the game. I even like looking at the renders themselves, they're chonky but as such remind me of low-poly 3D stuff like Quake, Crash Bandicoot and Silent Hill.
Good luck with the project!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
I've never played Lemmings 3D myself, once this project is playable, it may be my first chance to play the game.

Um, this is just a level editor though, not a level player.  You still need Lemmings 3D to actually play levels.  You can probably find a copy of that anyway on the Internet, you don't need to wait for a completed editor to play the official Lemmings 3D levels. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
I've never played Lemmings 3D myself, once this project is playable, it may be my first chance to play the game.

Um, this is just a level editor though, not a level player.  You still need Lemmings 3D to actually play levels.  You can probably find a copy of that anyway on the Internet, you don't need to wait for a completed editor to play the official Lemmings 3D levels. ;)

If the version you acquire has the terrain on Tricky 10, Tricky 14, Tricky 20 and Mayhem 5 blacked out, let us know. Many abandonware sites have copies with a corrupted TEXTURE.000 file (only used by these four levels); simply replacing it with a good copy resolves the issue, and we can easily provide that.

You'll also need DOSBox to play it. If the copy you "acquire" is the CD version, note that the CD version will refuse to run unless (it thinks) a CD drive exists. This is weird, because it doesn't actually care whether the Lemmings 3D disc is in the drive (or even if any disc is at all), just that a CD drive exists. The floppy version does not have this issue, but cannot play CD audio (it can, however, play the CD animations, if you copy them across from a CD copy).

You'll probably need to get the PC version working one way or another if you want to make or play custom levels - if the editor works as-is with the Playstation and/or Saturn versions, cool, but at this point I have zero intention of specifically trying to make it compatible (my first priority is getting it working 100% with the full version of L3D, and then after that the demos and Winterland - and once that's done, chances are my next focus will be making some levels). At the very least, it'll probably require a copy of the graphic files from the PC version. If you just want to play the original game though, the Playstation version may be the easiest way to do this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:45:46 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 01:32:33 AM »
I only have the PlayStation version of the game myself, I guess it never occurred to me that I'd have to acquire the PC version of the game myself. It's a good job you pointed this out.

But yeah if you have a PlayStation, PS2 or PS3 then they will all be able to play the PSX 3D Lemmings (In fact my YouTube LP was recorded on a PS3 if I recall)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
All "objects" (as in, the pieces for which the data is stored between 0x8200 and 0x101FF in the level file) except for so-called "walls" are now rendered. The rendering is somewhat weird in some cases, but for now my focus is on making it all work - I'm going to come back and tidy up the rendering later.
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »
This is very cool!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Now hang on a second... I'm sure I don't recognize this level. ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
While there's still some bugs (not to mention a lot of not-yet-supported features; I did have to do some things like setting the cameras via a hex editor, and the BLK file is just taken from an official level with some slight (hex-edited) modifications), L3DEdit has just produced its first custom level!

I haven't tested this too thoroughly. I've confirmed the intended solution is possible and not too tricky to execute, but I haven't made much effort in the way of de-backrouting.

Please use the "SpaceStation-CD.zip" version if you use CD music, and "SpaceStation-Midi.zip" if you use midi (or soundcard) audio. The two versions are identical except for a music-related setting.

EDIT: Removed; see next post for an updated version.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:17:36 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects