Author Topic: Secondary animations for triggered objects: Experimental version available  (Read 13776 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fwdCxnmOc

EDIT: Better video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNiNPHUSwM

EDIT: Most up-to-date video: https://youtu.be/wutmgNuo-90

A long overdue feature. I just finished implementing it.

This allows objects like traps, teleporters, locked exits to have a constantly-animating component alongside the triggered animation. The constant component can either stop animating while the object is triggered, or continue regardless - this is a per-object setting. The animation always stops, in the case of a trap, if the trap is disarmed.

Uses for this include:
- Making traps stand out more
- Identifying disarmed traps without relying on clear physics mode
- Combining locked exits and exit decoration flames / lights into a single object
- Probably various artistic uses

The implementation is functionally 100% backwards-compatible. In terms of visuals, it may have oddities on older NL versions but will still be recognizable (unless the object's dual-animation design is really complex, perhaps). If an object with a secondary animation - even one that appears outside the object's original frame borders - is used in an older NL version that doesn't support secondary animations, the secondary animation simply isn't displayed. The primary animation still works fine, and the object will not be repositioned.

The attached experimental version will allow you to see this feature for yourself, as well as get an idea of how it's implemented for your own styles' usage. This experimental also contains several of the other recent fixes / changes, including the Shimmier skill.

To use this experimental build, first, set up a normal copy of (stable) NeoLemmix. Then, extract the contents of this ZIP over the top of it, overwriting any files if prompted. This includes some levels (under the "Single Levels" pack) which demonstrate these new animations.

It includes such animations for traps and locked exits in all official styles (including Sega), as well as all of my styles.

For those preparing their own styles - please see this post for information. Secondary animations are now supported with all visible-in-game object types, but some of the trigger conditions are only supported on certain animation types. Also note that masks are now replaced with secondary animations (which yes, can have the mask-like recoloring property); see default:owa_#### and default:pickup for examples.

Secondaries do not have to be the same size or have the same number of frames as the primary animation, and the primary can have a horizontal strip while the secondary has a vertical one (or vice versa).

As usual, no guarantees that any features in this experimental will remain as-is. I don't see the need for any further changes, though it's not exclusively up to me to make the final call on this. If you like the current state of this feature, make sure to express this, so that the development team as a whole know it's desired.

There is an experimental editor included as well. Please note - it's completely normal for this editor to take a long time to load the first time it runs, if NeoLemmix is also present - it's getting NeoLemmix to pre-render the combined graphic of any objects that have secondary animations.

If you add / remove / modify an object with secondary animations (or with recoloring on the primary animation), the editor does not automatically detect this and request a re-render of the graphic. The easiest way to get a re-render is to exit the editor, delete the "render" folder inside the "editor" folder, then run the editor - this will cause it to request re-rendering of all pieces it needs it for. Alternatively, for advanced users, you can use the command line arguments: "NeoLemmix.exe render -editor <style name> <style name> ...". These will make NeoLemmix re-render all objects in the specified style(s).

Remember, as is often the case: With great power, comes great responsibility. Use this feature in ways that produce neat artistic effects. Use this feature in ways that help clarify exactly what a trap or other object is or isn't doing. Don't use this feature in ways that are intended to be deceptive.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:54:40 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Secondary animations for triggered objects
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »
The trouble with the example video shown is that it looks like the flashing light is just a second object behind the bear trap.  If it, say, turns off when the trap is disarmed, then it's a little more convincing.

One thing I wondered if was possible is to have a fire trap that only animates if a lemming is being fried by it.  For example, an innocuous nozzle (no animation, or extremely basic) that suddenly emits a menacing blue and green gas flame (think a gas cooker) when a lemming walks on it, without switching off until there are no more lemmings.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:55 PM »
The trouble with the example video shown is that it looks like the flashing light is just a second object behind the bear trap.  If it, say, turns off when the trap is disarmed, then it's a little more convincing.

It does. See the second video I've added. :)

Also, look closely at the animation when the trap is in use vs when it's idle - it doesn't blink green when the trap is busy. Of course, for some objects / animations it makes more sense if the animation does continue - so see how the boulder trap works in the new video. In both cases, the animation stops if the trap is disarmed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:03 PM »
Looks really good this does namida :)

I'm excited to make use of this feature in my Sonic tilesets, is there anything I can do to prepare my tilesets for this feature. Like how would I make the image strip now with respect to these changes?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »
Looks really good this does namida :)

I'm excited to make use of this feature in my Sonic tilesets, is there anything I can do to prepare my tilesets for this feature. Like how would I make the image strip now with respect to these changes?

Create the graphic strips as if you were creating two objects that always get placed together. They don't have to be the same size or have the same number of frames, but the relative position needs to always be the same - eg, the second one could be placed at an offset of 10 to the right and 5 down from the first one, as long as it's always placed at that offset (or the flipped / inverted / rotated equivalents, where applicable). The second one can either appear in front of or behind the first one; the way this feature works allows for either, at the object creator's choice.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:40:50 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've added the experimental version, so you can see how it works in practice, prepare your own styles, report bugs, etc.

Suggestions are still welcome, but keep in mind this isn't intended to do really complicated fancy stuff - you'll still need multiple objects for that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:23:20 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This looks awesome! :thumbsup:

For the L2/L3 tilesets I would request external help though as I don't have time, motivation and nerves to completely draw these from scratch.

I may have some ideas like the cavelem eyes gloing a bit already, but getting ideas and the execution would take a ton of time.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
This is very good to distinguish traps from terrain.

The backwards compatibility to single-animation is a respectable and correct decision: It must be easy to design new tiles, a minimal number of files must suffice, to encourage creativity.

Primary/secondary are bad names, unspecific, is primary the idle animation because levels always start with traps idle, or is primary the busy animation because, as a relic of implementation history, Lemmings 1 had only the busy animation?

Consider idle and busy/activated/... as names.

Be careful to not paint yourself into a corner by restricting the number of possible animations to 2. Triggered traps already have 3 states: idle, busy, and disarmed. You've already seen in Lemmings 1 that it's bad to lump two states into the same animation.

It's fine if the disarmed animation is a single frame, at least it's far less of a problem than with idle traps.

You can even consider (a separate animation/state) (the process of getting disarmed), and after that a loop of the disarmed animation. Doesn't matter if this further separation is practical -- the gist is to not repeat a mistake of history (and maybe in Lix) and restrict number of animations. Otherwise, you'll end with nasty hacks to support future extra states.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:40:48 PM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Regarding the above: Yeah, I thought about that regarding multiple animations - I realised it would be potentially useful for limited-lemming-count entrances and exits, which especially the latter is a highly-requested feature - so I'm now working on code to allow for any number of additional animations. Even if these never get used, at least they're there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:28:22 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
With regards to how the animations are actually stored, which layout is preferred?

For this, we'll use an example object that has:

a) A metainfo file, of course (the .nxmo file).
b) A main animation, which we'll call "busy".
c) A secondary animation, which we'll call "idle".
d) A mask (like the default pickup skills do), which we'll call "test_mask".

We'll call this object "namida_example:example_object". (Not sure if this notation is often used publicly; it means graphic set "namida_example", piece "example_object". Internally in NeoLemmix's workings, this notation is often used to specify the combination of graphic set and piece. Whether it refers to a terrain, an object or a background is inferred from context.)

Current setup in stable NL
a) The metainfo file is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object.nxmo"
b) The main animation is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object.png"
c) Secondary animations are not currently supported
d) The mask is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object_mask_test_mask.png"

Option 1 - Subfolder for entire object
a) The metainfo file is stored as either "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object.nxmo" or "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object/<some fixed filename>.nxmo"
b) The main animation is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object/busy.png"
c) The secondary animation is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object/idle.png"
d) The mask is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object/masks/test_mask.png" (Or perhaps the filename is prefixed with "mask", rather than in a "masks" subfolder)

Older pieces would need specific backwards-compatibility code in NeoLemmix to handle them - but this wouldn't be hard to do.

Option 2 - Prefixed filenames
a) The metainfo file is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object.nxmo"
b) The main animation is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object.png" (or "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object_busy.png")
c) The secondary animation is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object_idle.png"
d) The mask is stored as "styles/namida_example/objects/example_object_mask_test_mask.png"

If the alternate name under B isn't used, this is backwards / forwards compatible for the player. The editor has minor issues with the extra images, as it appears to find objects by looking for PNG files, rather than by looking for NXMO files, so new pieces won't work properly in old editor versions.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Option 2 - Prefixed filenames would be my choice.

I hate having too many folders. I rather have more files - even more if the pairs of 2-4 have fitting names. :P

I think this is much easier for tileset maintenance.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I hate having too many folders. I rather have more files - even more if the pairs of 2-4 have fitting names. :P

Yes, they would. All files relating to an object would have filenames starting with the object's name. In the example above, all objects filenames would start with "example_object".
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Both options 1 or 2 look reasonable, it depends on personal liking. Yeah, the heavy lifters of our maintenance camp should pick. 8-)

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've come up with a more final - and far more powerful - implementation. It uses option 2 in regards to file naming, and allows for... not quite "anything you can imagine", but it's quite flexible. Multiple animations are supported, which can have different (and customizable) conditions. For example, you could have a trap with the normal main animation, a secondary animation that stops (or even disappears - or loops back to frame zero, then stops or disappears) when the trap is in use, another secondary animation that only plays while the trap is in use but continues until reaching frame 0 when the trap finishes... it's probably far more powerful than it needs to be, but it works well.

Currently, it supports telling the animation, based on the supported conditions, to pause, stop (differentiated by that stop also returns to frame 0), return to frame 0 then pause, play, or display the same frame as the primary animation (can be useful eg. for pickup skills). It can also show or hide the animation again based on these conditions - if the animation is told to hide, it remains visible until paused, allowing this to be combined with the "return to frame 0 then pause" feature.

I've decided to keep whatever animation would already currently exist, being defined as the "primary" one. The logic here - the primary one is the one that actually relates directly to physics. To use a trap as an example - how many frames the idling animation has is irrelevant to physics, but how many frames the active animation has is not. Therefore, it should be the primary one. Of course, backwards compatibility is another good reason for this.

The supported conditions, currently, are:
- Primary animation is on frame zero. This is supported on object types where frame zero is significant, eg. traps (including single-use), teleporters.
- Primary animation is on frame one. This is supported on object types where frame one is significant, eg. single-use traps, locked exits.
- Busy. This is supported on traps, teleporters and receivers. A teleporter or receiver will register as busy whenever the pair, as a whole, is in use.
- Triggered. This is supported on all object types that can, but don't always, animate (so it includes eg. entrances, locked exits, etc). The object will register as triggered while the primary animation is animating. Teleporters and receivers are NOT linked for the purpose of this one.
- Disabled. This is supported on traps (including single use, but a used single-use trap does not register as disabled - only a disarmed one does), teleporters and receivers (where it would register if no paired teleporter / receiver exists).

This is quite powerful, and can theoretically get very complex, but the vast majority of real-world use cases would simply need to copy / paste less than 10 lines from a default object that has similar secondary animation behaviour.

This does mean, secondary animation metainfo files from the earlier experimental, won't work as-is (though they're generally very easy to convert). Image files, on the other hand, can most certainly be used as-is under the new system - I didn't have to make a single change to any images I made for the earlier system.

Usage guide for current system (click to show/hide)

As a side effect of these changes, objects with recoloring masks (which are now implemented as recolored secondary animations) are now slightly more efficient. Previously, these were reloaded any time a new level was loaded, unless the new level used the same theme as the previously loaded level. Now, the "keep existing copy" test is based on the specific color rather than the theme (so two different themes with the same color = no reload), and the unmasked image is kept in memory with the image just being re-masked rather than the entire object reloaded from disk.

On top of that, I added another nice feature for resizable objects - you can now have a "nine-slice" type resize, which recognizes corners and edges. I'm not sure of the normal term for this or how to describe it, so here's an image - notice the lack of the usual roughness updrafts have when resized vertically?

(The squasher trap does indeed lack a secondary animation at this point. The other trap, however, has one - it's just not noticable in a screenshot. The wheel always rotates, unless the trap has been deactivated.)

I have uploaded a new experimental build that includes both these features. Another thing to check out - try using clear physics mode in the new experimental build. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:55:40 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Here's a new video, showing secondary animations in all the official graphic sets, and talking a bit about how they work. It shows off a nice selection of (though not even close to all of) the possibilities the new system has.

https://youtu.be/wutmgNuo-90

If anyone wants to request additional conditions / operations / etc (as long as they're not particularly complex), feel free to ask (though I make no promises) - I would like to hear proposed use cases, so I can consider how worthwhile any ideas are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:42:27 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects