Other Lemmings Projects > Levels for other engines

[Lemmings 2] Lemmings ... In Space!

(1/2) > >>

kieranmillar:
Lemmings ... In Space!

After the highly experimental Fun With Blockers I wanted to make a more traditional set of puzzles instead of the "interaction exploration" that Fun With Blockers focuses on. However I had no ideas for any sort of theming or mechanical restrictions, so I did what all good designers do when they have no ideas, and gave this level pack a theme where it takes place in space!

This pack contains 10 levels for the Space Tribe. To install, you need to download the attached zip file and then either:

* Backup your Lemmings 2 LEVELS folder and overwrite the files with the contents of the zip, which will permanently replace the levels with these ones.
* Copy your Lemmings 2 game into a new folder and then overwrite the contents of the LEVELS folder of the copy with the contents of the zip file, and point DosBox to the new copy of the game.
This is a save everyone pack, with one exception, as always this one level has the number of lemmings you can lose stated in the level title. Hint: it's the one that has the Exploder skill in it.

Because it's impossible to properly talk about a Lemmings 2 pack without warnings about execution requirements, I've come up with the following difficulty categories that I'm going to use to describe all my L2 packs going forward, based on my own testing:

Puzzle Difficulty - Medium to High. Never reaches the heights of Quest From Kieran 2 but levels always try to do something interesting. Good understanding of general Lemmings 1 gameplay will help here more than all my other Lemmings 2 packs.
Game Mechanic Knowledge - Only one obscure interaction: Sand poured on a flat surface does not turn the lemming if they are a Climber. Otherwise nothing beyond basic understanding of skill fundamentals like how Glue Pourers and Rock Climbers work. This pack is very low on "skill interaction tricks".
Precision Execution - Skill assignments are only precise where it is impossible to avoid, of which there are some. Otherwise every care has been taken to reduce precision where possible.
Fan Execution - Only one instance: very easy ballooning.
Timing Execution - Use of the pause key for rapid-fire skill assignment might be needed in 3 of the levels.
Crowd Execution - Big messy crowds of lemmings can accumulate in a number of levels. In one excess skills to free the crowd are provided because it doesn't break the puzzle, in others mashing the pause key waiting for a good gap in the crowd has never failed me during my testing.
Other Lemmings 2 Annoyances - The Magno Booter can sometimes detach itself in places where the player alters the terrain, and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. Sorry!

Level 5: Constructing a Starport

I'm super happy with how this pack has turned out and I hope you enjoy it too.

exit:
I played through the levels and I liked them a lot! :)

In general I think the puzzles were pretty good difficulty, and the execution was what's pretty normal for Lemmings 2. I got the intended solution on most of the levels, but I did find a few backroutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Level 1: This one was pretty simple, and straightforward, but nice to play.
Level 2: I actually really liked this one. At first I tried to get something going in the left half of the level until I realized the correct route was going around the right side and coming up with the laser blaster. The way the basher makes the perfect glueing platform is really nice.
Level 3: This one's pretty simple once you realize that you can't get over the block without the roper.
Level 4: I think I got the intended solution on this one, but I did save a sand pourer and magno booter.
Level 5: This one was pretty straightforward.
Level 6: This was a pretty nice puzzle! At first glance it looks simpler than it really is. This one should be possible with 3 sand pourers, but I think adding one or two more would make the execution a bit easier without changing anything.
Level 7: I liked this one a lot. Great puzzle that feels like a good Lemmings 2 level, and plays well.
Level 8: Pretty sure I backrouted this one. My solution was extremely straightforward and didn't use the teleporters at all. I was able to let only one lemming slip past the miner by using a platformer, then made that lemming slide down and platform, and cancelled the platformer with the other miner. I guess I used most of the skills, but it doesn't feel like the right solution.
Level 9: I might've backrouted this one. I saved the laser blaster, a climber, and a floater, but the solution doesn't feel wrong, really. I'm guessing I took the same route as was intended, just saved a few skills along the way.
Level 10: I liked this one quite a bit. Once you realize the magno booter has to go around the solution falls into place. I did find a backroute which saves a stomper and the sand pourer: after you bridge to the exit you use the stacker and build back to the steel. The lemmings will easily survive both falls.

Overall I really liked this pack. Liked you said, it wasn't too difficult, but I think it had the right amount of challenge to be fun. :thumbsup:

kieranmillar:
exit, thanks a ton for playing and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I have uploaded a version 2, attached to the opening post, to fix some backroutes. I'd really appreciate if you could try levels 8 and 9 again.

v2 changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* 6 - Asteroid Station - Added an extra Sand Pourer to be nice. Have slight concern this could open up a backroute, but hopefully this concern is misplaced.
* 8 - Hyperspace Loop - Moved the Entrance + very minor terrain tweaks to accomodate this.
* 9 - Prepare for Re-Entry - Terrain tweaks + Substantial increase to release rate + added a Floater.
* 10 - Boarding the Mothership - Level is substantially taller + extremely minor terrain tweak to improve execution.
Some comments on your comments:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* Level 4 - I can imagine the solution is fine, those two skills let you send two lemmings out to the initial platform if you prefer and shallower angle for the archer, but it's not required.
* Level 8 - This is certainly a backroute, and I've made a fairly unorthodox change to try and fix it. I have a suspicion that this level will prove to be riddled with backroutes, it was tough to get everything to work right in the first place.
* Level 9 - This is definitely a backroute but I'm struggling to think of what you did in your route to save the skills that you did. Still, I've made some changes in the hope that as least one of them prevented your break.
* Level 10 - An easy fix.

exit:
Today I was only able to take a real quick look at the two levels you updated. I was able to mess around for a bit but didn't have enough time to really sit down and solve them. They look like they're going to be interesting, though! I'll try and play them as soon as I have time.

kieranmillar:
Sorry if I implied any sort of urgency in asking you to take a look, take as long as you need. There is absolutely no rush.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version