Author Topic: [Bug][Player] Missing preassigned skills after level select  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
[Bug][Player] Missing preassigned skills after level select
« on: December 29, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Steps to reproduce this bug:
1) Start a level with a hatch, that has preassigned skills.
2) Observe that the lemmings have the correct permanant skills assigned to them, when they drop out of the hatch.
3) Optional: Do some terrain modification, like digging or bashing somwhere
4) Open the in-game level selection menu (usually F2) and press "Cancel" to continue the current game
5) Optional: First notice that your terrain modifications are gone.
6) Then notice that the lemmings spawning now do no longer have the preassigned skills. Alternatively it may rarely happen that all objects turn invisible and that the lemmings now spawn as swimming-floating-gliding zombies. :lem-shocked:
7) If you use some backwards frame-steps, your terrain modifications will reappear (as the save-states do have the correct information)
8) But even if you framestep back to the beginning of the level, the preassignments never reappear.

Exiting the level and starting it new fixes all the problems.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Re: [Bug][Player] Missing preassigned skills after level select
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »
Oh my. That's... quite the thing. ???

Some additional information: I was having trouble reproducing this at first because I had another command mapped to F2 (load state, which was likely a default as I never used it). Only by unassigning this command could I open the level menu while playing to reproduce the glitch.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Bug][Player] Missing preassigned skills after level select
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
I'll check if this was ever fixed. If not, I'll likely just disable the level select menu while in-game, unless a fix is fairly simple.

EDIT: This occurs because the selected level in the menu gets loaded into memory. Even if it's the same level, parts of the data likely get loaded in a different location. Solution: Either rewrite how the level select menu works, or - much more simple - just don't allow opening it while in-game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:25:31 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)