Poll

What's your thoughts?

No limit, a level should be able to use every type of skill simultaneously
3 (30%)
The limit should be greatly increased (~16 or so)
1 (10%)
The limit should be slightly increased (~10 or so)
6 (60%)
The limit should stay as it is (8 skill types)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: [SUG/DISCUSSION][PLAYER] Expand number of skill types allowed in a level  (Read 7406 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think this looks great! :thumbsup: 

I would prefer the bottom one as it still has all the functionality and I think this is still ok in terms of too many buttons.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Yep, bottom idea looks best!

-- Simon

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Agreed! :thumbsup: The rewind-, replay- and by extension also the true physics-button didn't need to be as large as they have been until now anyway, at least for me personally, because I always use the keyboard for those things.

Now I just hope enough people who voted for Neutral Lemmings to be introduced first change their vote to expand the skillset, because while I do admit that Neutral Lemmings provide more potential than I thought at first, simply having more degrees of freedom with regard to skill combinations is obviously going to blow the doors open much wider on new level-design possibilities... ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I would prefer the bottom one as it still has all the functionality and I think this is still ok in terms of too many buttons.

The first one was never the final plan, it was a work-in-progress shot.

Now I just hope enough people who voted for Neutral Lemmings to be introduced first change their vote to expand the skillset, because while I do admit that Neutral Lemmings provide more potential than I thought at first, simply having more degrees of freedom with regard to skill combinations is obviously going to blow the doors open much wider on new level-design possibilities... ;)

It's entirely possible this feature will make it in first regardless of votes, simply because it needs far less testing than neutral lemmings do - we pretty much already know, between running into the skill limit as an obstacle and seeing levels from Lix, that an increased skill limit will be beneficial, so we don't really need much testing for usefulness; and in terms of bug testing, it's a much simpler feature than neutral lemmings (although on the other hand - this is brand new territory, whereas on a technical level neutral lemmings are basically just partial zombies) - indeed, I would already be 95% confident about the current implementation. I don't believe we've got editor support yet (unless Nepster's done it), but if I'm not mistaken, the editor doesn't enforce the 8 skill limit when saving a level anyway; it just complains in the Level Validation tool if you've got more than 8 skills, and this is probably a matter of changing a single constant or conditional in the code. EDIT: Confirmed, this is indeed the case.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:15:38 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG/DISCUSSION][PLAYER] Expand number of skill types allowed in a level
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:40 AM »
As you've likely seen, this feature is confirmed to be coming in V12.6.0. If you discover any issues with it, please post about them in the V12.6.0 experimental topic (or if you're reading this much later, after V12.6.0 has had a stable release, please create a new bug report / suggestion topic).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)