Author Topic: [Bug][Player/Toolkit] Inconsistent display of pack author info  (Read 2311 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[Bug][Player/Toolkit] Inconsistent display of pack author info
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
Today we've got a bit of nitpicking. ;)

The pack toolkit suggests under Title (second line):

"by Unknown Author"

In the main menu screen of the pack it is correctly displayed:

"by Unknown Author"

The level select screen however adds another "By" if you click on the pack there:

"By by Unknown Author"

So either:

- Remove the auto addition of the extra "By" in the level select screen. So users can put "by username" in the secondary title field as it is currently displayed.

- Add the addition of the extra "By" in the main menu screen as well. So users can put "username" in the secondary title field. The default display of "by Unknown Author" would need to change to "Unknown Author" then as well.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [Bug][Player/Toolkit] Inconsistent display of pack author info
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
Easy fix: I removed the "By" from the level select screen. It seemed preferrable to me to have no "by" in the author field compared to having two of them.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
Easy fix: I removed the "By" from the level select screen. It seemed preferrable to me to have no "by" in the author field compared to having two of them.

What do you expect users to put into the field now? With or without "by"?

I push for:
Tell authors to have only "Hans", not "by Hans", in author field.
Title/preview screen should silently discard "by "/"By " at beginning of author string.
Title/preview screen could then prefix the result with "By " if they want.
Remove "by Unknown Author" and add "Unknown Author" as the template entry.

Reasoning:
1. After all, the field is called author. "Hans" is an author, "By Hans" is not.
2. If something is mandatory, don't design the data such that the dat allows for violation of the requirement (no leading "By ").
3. Given that the preview screen has inserted "By " up to NL 12.04, I suppose many people will have put "Hans" into the field anyway, not "By Hans".
4. Avoid language dependency in data wherever avoidable ("by" is English).

I probably should have posted earlier.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:14:03 AM by Simon »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
3. Given that the preview screen has inserted "By " up to NL 12.04, I suppose many people will have put "Hans" into the field anyway, not "By Hans".

Well, it's the other way around. :P

As the toolkit had "by Hans" in the author field, people added the "by".

So most packs have "By by Hans" now in the level select screen and "by Hans" in the main menu. Preview screen is uneffected.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
All right, I trust Icho about this prevalence of "by Hans" in the data, then the fix is more understandable and produces not as much harm as I expected. But at least Clammings already violates this convention to add "by " manually; its author fields say only "Clam".

I still believe that letting people add "By " is conceptually bad. I still recommend everything from my reply #2, including the silent autoremoval of "by "/"By " when author string is parsed.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:22:09 AM »
The author field for a pack and the author field for a level are two seperate fields. This issue applies only to the pack author; there is no problem with level authors (where the data rarely, if ever, contains "by").
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Ah, the pack field is "Title (2nd line)" and is not a dedicated author field. Some people put versioning here.

Then keep Nepster's fix from reply #1. I was confused from the wording:

Quote from: Thread title
pack author info
Quote from: Nepster
the author field

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:59:27 AM by Simon »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 04:14:15 AM »
If you were to silently autoremove by/By it would probably be wise to create some test levels with some strings such as "Byron" or "Kirby Is Amazing" for author, as improper implementation would result in letters being stripped and could potentially go undetected until someone with the string "by" or "By" in their author name tries to put their name in the author field and finds part of it mysteriously missing.

It is, of course, a trivial problem to solve, but I've seen a lot of crappy filters out there. It is, of course, a cl***ic mistake.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:19:58 AM by Dullstar »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
Right, had we decided to auto-cut anything, it should be as unintrusively as possible: "by<whitespace>" and "By<whitespace>" at beginning of line. People would have to have first name exactly "By" to experience harm.

s/^[Bb]y\s\s*//

-- Simon