Author Topic: Sad Puppy Lemmings (2017, mobile)  (Read 12788 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Sad Puppy Lemmings (iOS)
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 06:29:06 AM »
Yeah, from the sounds of things I don't think I'm even going to try this one. C'mon Sony, you can do better than this.

I wasn't even a huge fan of Lemmings Touch, to be honest. Not to the extent that I regret buying it or such, but it definitely wasn't particularly impressive.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: Sad Puppy Lemmings (2017, mobile)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
I'm going to try it out for myself, but...
You have an energy meter of 60 and you use 1 energy for each skill use so 60 skill uses before you have to recharge.
It's a mobile game alright, but I'm still not happy about these forced microtransaction things. Let me guess, there are also ads every time you clear a level?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:25:41 AM by Simon »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »
I'm going to try it out for myself, but...
You have an energy meter of 60 and you use 1 energy for each skill use so 60 skill uses before you have to recharge.
It's a mobile game alright, but I'm still not happy about these forced microtransaction things. Let me guess, there are also ads every time you clear a level?

There was no ads when I played.

I agree, I think these microtransactions came out to play on people's impatience not to truly work towards earning things or waiting time to play the game again. I think those younger than us tend to be more prone to them, tends to be a generation who must have everything right now and cannot wait for things.

Offline Lehnah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
I actually just wrote a review of the game HERE if anyone wants to take a look (would appreciate it).

I really enjoy the game. Sure, it's different to the original, but the world is not the same as it was in 1991. I'm all for updating games as long as they don't lose their soul, which I don't think happens here. I reckon this game is well worth checking out.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
Your review link is broken.

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 05:36:20 AM »
I decided to try Sad Puppy's Lemmings and have been playing it for a week.  If you want a classic lemmings puzzle experience this won't even come close.  However if you just want to take a quick mental jog and save a few lemmings on a break at work then this Lemmings game will do just that.

I think the gameplay of the individual levels is pretty good considering that you are playing on a 3 inch touchscreen with your fingers.  However, ads and monetization are almost everywhere outside of the levels themselves.

I can see the potential that this Lemmings has to be a good game but like almost every game you can get on your smartphone it just had to be monetized.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
Thought I'd post in here again to state that I'm still playing this game on a regular basis.

The game has adopted a Seasons model with the collectible tribe eggs (this game's version of a loot crate, what you get in the egg is random and you can get duplicates), and I think the developers of this mobile game are doing a good job at making great Lemming designs. It's well worth a look if you're looking for inspiration for new tilesets because we're getting to the stage where we are getting Lemmings whom look like Eurovision contest winners "Lordi" and Punk Lemmings with mohawks :)

I made this list of the tribes which exist so far, I am able to see the tribes from Seasons 1 and 5 but not the ones from Seasons 2-4 because the game messed up with telling me there was an update until recently, by the time I had updated I had missed Seasons 2, 3 and 4 and there is no way to obtain them. If anyone who is still playing has any information about the tribes from these seasons, it would be helpful :)

Season 1: Beach, Space, Medieval, Polar, Prehistoric, Highland
Season 2: Lunar, Aquatic, Fast Food, Starstruck, Pigskin, Island, Heartbreakers, Sweet Shop
Season 3: Museum, Craic, Gem, Carnival, Spring, Holi, Sushi
Season 4: Eggheads, Heroes, Lionheart, Faeries, Science, Hip Hop, Circus, Weather
Season 5 (current): Safari, Euro Stars, Nautical, Raceway, Punk, Robot, Norse, Half Baked

There are also regular Tournaments on this game, you compete against 9 other players and try to save more Lemmings than them over a 3 day period (sadly Double Lemming multipliers or Lemmings given as rewards for watching ads don't count towards your total, they have to be actually saved on a level to count). You have to get in the top 3 to get promoted to the next tier usually, it can be top 2 in the higher tiers, if you get 9th or 10th you will go down a tier though :(.

The tiers are named after the difficulty ranks but only Fun and Tricky exist at the moment, hopefully a Taxing and Mayhem league exist soon. There are 5 tiers within the difficulty leagues. You start out in Fun Tier 1, if you get promoted you will go up to Fun Tier 2 and so on up to Tier 5. After Fun Tier 5, you go up to Tricky Tier 1 and so on.
It's quite addictive because it keeps you coming back to save the most Lemmings but sadly those who pay to play this game will have a massive advantage here, it's still fun to try and beat the paying customers and I'm currently in Fun Tier 4!

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »
I’ve played the game it’s not that hard and doesn’t exactly work like lemmings right from the get-go I was weirded out by the square grid and how that you can plan way ahead and immediately complete a level my just simply putting the skills on the right grid squares. I’m not that big of a fan of games that use energy either.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Thanks for the detailed post, Flopsy! Interesting to hear that this is still going, and seemingly going fairly strong.
Isn't this a good thing, though? :P
(sadly Double Lemming multipliers or Lemmings given as rewards for watching ads don't count towards your total, they have to be actually saved on a level to count)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »
I've found a new gimmick in this mobile game which has never been used in any Lemmings game or NeoLemmix for that matter.

Once you get to World 11 (Hot Chocolate), there are multiple exits in the level but each exit will only allow 50% of the total Lemmings for that level enter.
For example, if there are 40 Lemmings, then each exit will only allow 20 Lemmings in the exit before it crumbles and ceases to be an exit.

I feel that this is an interesting feature that could be placed in NeoLemmix.

Isn't this a good thing, though?

Not when you consider the fact that the Lemming doublers are buffs which they are technically charging money for in the form of microtransactions. You do get them occasionally for free but they are rare, it's just nice if they actually helped in tournament Lemming counts. I just don't see any use for the Lemmings doublers if they cannot be used to buff numbers in tournament play.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 12:12:49 AM »
I feel that [limited count exits] is an interesting feature that could be placed in NeoLemmix.

This has been a planned feature for a while now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
Not when you consider the fact that the Lemming doublers are buffs which they are technically charging money for in the form of microtransactions. You do get them occasionally for free but they are rare, it's just nice if they actually helped in tournament Lemming counts. I just don't see any use for the Lemmings doublers if they cannot be used to buff numbers in tournament play.
Well, it might not earn the developers more money then, but I would prefer games that aren't pay-to-win.
The limited exit is an interesting idea, I wonder what you could do with that!

Offline jamesleemorgan

• "Little Jim - Lemming Game Contender"
  • This is a ongoing story of True Victory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »
Well, another game and my wallet is not looking forward to filling out the TribeDex.

Everything about this latest game is akin to that of Hogwarts Mystery, The microtransactions being what got me to that conclusion. The energy meter is not your friend. If you don't have enough money to buy the "2-hour Energy" every time you play then you are going to have to tough it out.

And of course there's the loot boxes. I know that this is what I'm not looking forward to when I say I want to complete the TribeDex. I know that documenting the tribes will be a expensive endeavor because there will always be more tribes being added to the game.

To say I am not looking forward to one hundred percenting the whole thing is an understatement.
Soon, your levels will be a part of the story. A story of Lemming Game Victory! But the Road will be long.

Coming Soon to be Recorded
"Lemming Team's LEM-OUT!!"
Starring "Little Jim" and his built in experience coach "Lomax Louis."

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 11:59:20 PM »
Personally I've stopped playing this game now, when you get to World 10 and beyond there is a massive increase in trap gauntlet type levels where you have a whole row of falling rock traps and they more or less go off at the same time, you are forced to send all of the lemmings through these traps and hence it is luck based whether you save enough or not.
This means you have to time the crowd near enough perfect and one level was just too much for me in the end and I thought to myself that if this is the lengths that Sad Puppy are willing to go to in order to squeeze microtransactions out of people then I'd rather stay out of it.

Personally the £5.49 price tag for 2 hours of unlimited energy is an insult because it is rather an expensive price for just 2 hours, I got that power up for free one time for completing a tribe and it is a nice power up because then it actually started to feel like Lemmings again in the way that you weren't limited.
Talking of tribes, if you haven't been playing the game since day one, you won't 100% the tribes because the tribes are in Season 5 now, nearly Season 6 even.

Offline jamesleemorgan

• "Little Jim - Lemming Game Contender"
  • This is a ongoing story of True Victory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 12:47:56 AM »
Wow Flopsy. I didn't realize how underhanded the whole thing actually is. I just started playing but I guess I would have to bail on that game. Even if they cycle through the tribes, it's far too late for me to 100 percent the whole thing. Sony & Sad Puppy are essentially companies of con artists.
Soon, your levels will be a part of the story. A story of Lemming Game Victory! But the Road will be long.

Coming Soon to be Recorded
"Lemming Team's LEM-OUT!!"
Starring "Little Jim" and his built in experience coach "Lomax Louis."