Author Topic: An idea for a competition..  (Read 14982 times)

Jazzem

An idea for a competition..
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:35:12 PM »
This is something I've conjured. Of course, nothing's been materialised yet, but I'd like to see what you all think of the idea.

Basically, it's all about art. You'd create five or so levels in Lemedit, each with the aim to simply look good. How you do this is up to you. Perhaps it's the way you use the terrain to create pictures? Or maybe it's the formation the lemmings walk in? It would simply be up to you and your imagination. The levels wouldn't need a solution (Perhaps not even an exit, there's always SKIPLEVELS), but you could perhaps give the player insturctions on skills to use to give the desired effect.

So who would be interested? And who would compete?

JM

Re: An idea for a competition..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
I could make levels for the competition :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 09:01:34 AM »
Would the use of myvgaspec be allowed, or must it be made purely from the standard graphics sets?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 02:05:31 PM »
In my new levels (many of which are old levels redone in my new styles) I'm taking a lot more care over appearance than I ever did before; so if this was for Cheapo I could simply submit a level that I've done but haven't released yet, such as "The Land of Nightmares" or "Just a Minute (Part Five)"..... I think that would be cheating, though :P

drumnbach

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »
I'm up for this.

If special_gunpowder still posted here, he'd win this competition without trying.

Conway

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:20:52 PM »
Sounds good, but I think we should still aim to make each level passable, possibly involving the artistic formation it was chosen for.

Anatol

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 05:38:38 PM »
I agree with Conway. Making the level passable would be part of the challenge. :-)

drumnbach

Conway

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 09:18:14 PM »
Passed 'em! The first was tricky. I was just about to give up when I figured it out. And it's fun to try for 100% in level 2.

I still have no idea what I'm going to do for this competition.

Jazzem

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 09:48:17 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1129934112/0#2 date=1129971694
Would the use of myvgaspec be allowed, or must it be made purely from the standard graphics sets?

Apologies, but only the standard graphics. Perhaps we could have another competition involving custom ones though!

Seeing how the passable thing seems to be wanted, I'll add it to the rules. Of course, the main aim would still be to create something artistic, but you'd still get marked for the challenge of the level. So don't sacrifice substance for style!

I'll have to think about the scoring system, the rules and the prizes etc. but hjopefully this should be up in a week or so. And if you don't wish to participate, you could always be a judge.

Conway

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »
Perhaps for scoring you could simply start a poll and we could all vote for our favourite. That's what we do for most competitions.

Jazzem

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 11:39:42 PM »
What I initially planned was everyone would submit their work, and after the announcement of the winners they'd all be revealed so everyone could play them. If what you say is what the forum wants though, then I'll be happy to do it.

JM

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:26 AM »
What type of levels can I make for this competition Jazzem?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Teaser.gif

That's if I'm allowed to submit an existing level. If not, just tell me and I'll have a go at doing a new one. (But then, if drumnbach can submit two levels anyway.......)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »
Not a bad idea for a competition...

I think I might give it a go.