Author Topic: An idea for a competition..  (Read 15046 times)

Jazzem

An idea for a competition..
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:35:12 PM »
This is something I've conjured. Of course, nothing's been materialised yet, but I'd like to see what you all think of the idea.

Basically, it's all about art. You'd create five or so levels in Lemedit, each with the aim to simply look good. How you do this is up to you. Perhaps it's the way you use the terrain to create pictures? Or maybe it's the formation the lemmings walk in? It would simply be up to you and your imagination. The levels wouldn't need a solution (Perhaps not even an exit, there's always SKIPLEVELS), but you could perhaps give the player insturctions on skills to use to give the desired effect.

So who would be interested? And who would compete?

JM

Re: An idea for a competition..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
I could make levels for the competition :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 09:01:34 AM »
Would the use of myvgaspec be allowed, or must it be made purely from the standard graphics sets?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 02:05:31 PM »
In my new levels (many of which are old levels redone in my new styles) I'm taking a lot more care over appearance than I ever did before; so if this was for Cheapo I could simply submit a level that I've done but haven't released yet, such as "The Land of Nightmares" or "Just a Minute (Part Five)"..... I think that would be cheating, though :P

drumnbach

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »
I'm up for this.

If special_gunpowder still posted here, he'd win this competition without trying.

Conway

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:20:52 PM »
Sounds good, but I think we should still aim to make each level passable, possibly involving the artistic formation it was chosen for.

Anatol

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 05:38:38 PM »
I agree with Conway. Making the level passable would be part of the challenge. :-)

drumnbach

Conway

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 09:18:14 PM »
Passed 'em! The first was tricky. I was just about to give up when I figured it out. And it's fun to try for 100% in level 2.

I still have no idea what I'm going to do for this competition.

Jazzem

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 09:48:17 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1129934112/0#2 date=1129971694
Would the use of myvgaspec be allowed, or must it be made purely from the standard graphics sets?

Apologies, but only the standard graphics. Perhaps we could have another competition involving custom ones though!

Seeing how the passable thing seems to be wanted, I'll add it to the rules. Of course, the main aim would still be to create something artistic, but you'd still get marked for the challenge of the level. So don't sacrifice substance for style!

I'll have to think about the scoring system, the rules and the prizes etc. but hjopefully this should be up in a week or so. And if you don't wish to participate, you could always be a judge.

Conway

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »
Perhaps for scoring you could simply start a poll and we could all vote for our favourite. That's what we do for most competitions.

Jazzem

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 11:39:42 PM »
What I initially planned was everyone would submit their work, and after the announcement of the winners they'd all be revealed so everyone could play them. If what you say is what the forum wants though, then I'll be happy to do it.

JM

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:26 AM »
What type of levels can I make for this competition Jazzem?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Teaser.gif

That's if I'm allowed to submit an existing level. If not, just tell me and I'll have a go at doing a new one. (But then, if drumnbach can submit two levels anyway.......)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »
Not a bad idea for a competition...

I think I might give it a go.

Conway

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:26:05 PM »
It's your competition, Jazzem. I don't mind how the scoring is done.

Ahribar, you've only linked to the preview of your level.

drumnbach

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 05:15:32 PM »
Ahribar titled his "teaser.gif" so it must've been intentional.

Great design, Ahr :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 07:31:23 PM »
No, it's part of the title of the level: "Twenty Second Teaser". (Actually, I have three levels that use that layout.)

And I linked to the gif because I already had it online. I'll put the level itself up some time (together of course with the style).

Jazzem

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
Quote from: JM  link=1129934112/0#12 date=1130062886
What type of levels can I make for this competition Jazzem?

Just normal Lemdit ones, make your main aim to dazzle us with the aesthtics of it, but make it fun to play too! I wil;l do a few examples in the offical topic of the competition (which will have the rules, deadline etc), so you can get a jist of what's wanted :)

And Ahribar, I'd prefer it if all your levels were brand new, but I don't mind you submitting an old one (I'll want five levels in all, and I'll make a limit to how many already-made ones you can put in). I have to say though, that is brilliant! How long did that take you?

It's your competition, Jazzem. I don't mind how the scoring is done.

Ok then, I appreciate that :D. I imagine each level will get marked out of a certain number, and that number will be divided into marks out of a fixed number, each mark depending on a certain aspect (Looks, puzzle etc.).

I'm happy with the response this is getting, I guess I'd better get to work on making some prizes!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 01:50:28 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem  link=1129934112/15#18 date=1130150631
And Ahribar, I'd prefer it if all your levels were brand new, but I don't mind you submitting an old one (I'll want five levels in all, and I'll make a limit to how many already-made ones you can put in). I have to say though, that is brilliant! How long did that take you?

That's cool, but I'd like it if you'd tell me what that limit will be so that I can get to deciding about my submission. Also, if the deadline is any earlier than the start of the Christmas period, I probably won't have time to make too many new levels. (I'm extremely busy at the moment, sadly......)

The Teaser is an old level of mine, so when I redid it I already had the basic layout (the bit right in the middle). Adding the decorative parts took a good few hours, I think. Certainly enough time that I didn't work on any other levels that day.

Then after I'd done the decorative terrain I worked out how I could make a third level with the identical layout that actually used some of it.  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 07:51:58 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1129934112/15#17 date=1130095883
I'll put the level itself up some time (together of course with the style).

Actually, I think you need to put out all your styles that are remakes of Lemming's graphic sets, no later than when the competition starts.

Jazzem seems to have intended this to be a LemEdit competition not Cheapo, especially since he banned the use of myvgaspec.

But since you can define your own styles in Cheapo but not LemEdit, it is unfair to allow any Cheapo levels that doesn't use the styles that are equivalent to the build-in graphics in Lemmings/LemEdit.  But Ahribar's styles are the only thing that come close in terms of being equivalent to the LemEdit graphics sets.  So until they are available, the competition would effectively only be opened to LemEdit levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »
That's a good point, actually......... so now all I need is to find 20MB of webspace somewhere  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 11:29:05 PM »
Check with Mindless to see if his web portal hsa enough space for this......

(And is it really 20 MB?!?  There are only 9 graphics sets in Lemmings + ONML + Xmas Lemmings, so unless your styles on average are bigger than 2 MBs (20/9=2.222...)......!  And remember, only the graphics matters since music is greatly limited (if not nonexistent) in LemEdit levels.)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:08 AM »
Yeah, I've got space... but because of the limitations of PHP, you won't be able to upload a 20mB file to the portal... I'll check around to see what I can find...

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 09:04:47 AM »
Well, I could upload that but it would take almost half of my webspace.
How about me taking half of the styles (~10MB) and someone else takes the rest?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 10:39:37 AM »
I'll get back to you guys on Friday, which is the next time I'll have a decent enough chunk of time and access to the computer with my styles on.

ccexplore is right, of course; I only actually need to upload half of the styles for this. (But I will eventually need to find webspace for all of them.) The point is, there are 10 styles (the tenth is the special graphics one) but I have two versions of each, with different sets of music. But the music isn't important for the purposes of this contest.

drumnbach

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »
Regarding LemEdit; my laptop is configured in such a way as to not allow me to test LemEdit levels. So although I'd be able to create LemEdit levels, I wouldn't be able to test them...

...unless I buy a new computer next week. Which is what I'm doing... man I can't wait :D:D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 06:49:03 PM »
Quote from: drumnbach  link=1129934112/15#26 date=1130262767
Regarding LemEdit; my laptop is configured in such a way as to not allow me to test LemEdit levels.

How odd, generally it's LemEdit not CustLemm that gives people so much trouble, not the other way around.

Well anyway, enjoy your new computer!

Jazzem

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2005, 10:08:01 AM »
Hiya. Apologies I haven't replied sooner, but I'll be getting my new computer next week (To coincide with drumnbach's next week!), so I'll sort the banner, prizes rules etc.

I was planning the deadline to be before Christmas, but if that's awkward for some it can easily be shifted after it. If it's only you who cannot make it though Ahribar, then you may submit old levels (Although you may want to tweak them slightly if you get any time, just to make them that bit better!). Otherwise though, the limit for submitting old levels is two.

And yeah, Lemedit only please. I apologise to those who are more comfortable with Cheapo, but it's just to make things easier for now. If there's the demand though, there will be a similarly-themed Cheapo competition in the future.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
Quote from: Jazzem  link=1129934112/15#28 date=1130321281
And yeah, Lemedit only please. I apologise to those who are more comfortable with Cheapo, but it's just to make things easier for now. If there's the demand though, there will be a similarly-themed Cheapo competition in the future.

Ah well; that rules me out anyway, so you don't need to worry about my scheduling problems!  :P

Jazzem

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 10:52:51 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1129934112/15#29 date=1130322811
Ah well; that rules me out anyway, so you don't need to worry about my scheduling problems!  :P

Aha. Sorry to hear it :-(.

JM

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 10:59:54 AM »
I'll get a set of 10 levels for the competition done when I have time :)

Jazzem

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 11:06:01 AM »
Good to hear JM, but the minimum/maximum is five levels, I don't want to put pressure on everyone with the Before-Christmas deadline (and me when i come to mark the levels!)

JM

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2005, 11:30:35 AM »
In one Competition there were a few good levels but each level only had 1 lemming. There was a level called "The Sword". Who made it?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2005, 08:11:49 PM »
I think Timballisto made it. He created a poll in the LUDB about it if I remember correctly.

For me, I probably won't take part in the competition.
First thing is, design is actually not a point I'm so good at, and second, I think five levels is a bit too many for me.
I could maybe come up with ideas for one or two level designs, but not more if I want to keep the designs interesting.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 05:09:54 AM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1129934112/15#23 date=1130206508
Yeah, I've got space... but because of the limitations of PHP, you won't be able to upload a 20mB file to the portal... I'll check around to see what I can find...
FTP uploading (please use only for large files)
ftp: ftp.lemmings.gwgaming.net
user: anonymous@lemmings.gwgaming.net
(yes, the anonymous login is that long)

upload to the "incoming" directory
i will move files from the incoming directory to a directory accessable via http

Edit: FTP no longer accessable.  :-[

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »
Thanks, Mindless; but since the competition has been closed to Cheapo entries I don't think I want to upload my styles just yet; I can wait for the music to be finished.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2005, 10:33:43 AM »
If I had any time for level designing I'd do this. It sounds fun...

Jazzem

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 04:38:12 PM »
Right, I now have my new PC, so hopefully I'll start everything this weekend.

Since many people are having time problems, I've decided to delay the competition deadline until after Christmas (Somewhere in January).

Jazzem

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
For those still interested, I have decided to delay to competition until after Christmas. It's a busy time of the year, so it's not effectively a good idea for something that requries so much effort.

No worries though, it *will* be going ahead!

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »
It has to be in Custlemm? And it has to be hard?  [smiley=mikesad.gif]

*crawls into corner and sulks*

Jazzem

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »
:o I completely forgot about this! (Might wanna check the date chmera =P) So much for my *will* then :-/

Would anyone be interested if it still went on? I doubt I could give any decent prizes, but it would be a bit of  (Late <_< >_>) fun.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
I'd be interested if Cheapo was allowed and the deadline was later than next week (since I have to be busy with an essay). Otherwise I won't be able to contribute; sorry.