Author Topic: [Suggestion][Editor] Use NeoLemmix ordering of skills, not L1 order + extras.  (Read 2502 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
In the editor's skillset panel, the skills are ordered by placing the L1 skills first (in the traditional order), followed by the NL skills (in the order they appear on the skill panel, except with Fencer moved to the start of the NL section).

I propose this should be changed to instead reflect the order they would appear in the NL skill panel: Walker, Climber, Swimmer, Floater, Glider, Disarmer, Bomber, Stoner, Blocker, Platformer, Builder, Stacker, Basher, Fencer, Miner, Digger, Cloner. If some users prefer that the L1 skills have attention drawn to them, this could be achieved by bolding or coloring the label. (Side note: I wrote this out from memory. I'm not 100% sure if I got Bomber and Stoner the right way around, but the rest is definitely correct.)

Minor issue overall. But it could be more convenient for some users, given that it groups similar skills together (ie: Walker, permanent skills, self-destructive skills, Blocker, remaining constructive skills, remaining destructive skills, Cloner).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
I like this idea. I sometimes like to give skills in some sort of pattern (3,1,3,1 for example) and this change would make it easier to do that.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I can understand the demand for this, but it would be nice if it were an option, so that those who use L1 skills only can keep the present order :P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
The reason for the ordering is pretty simple: When I coded the editor as my private one (not intending to release it), I found that with the current ordering, I could find the desired skills much faster.

Having an option would mean quite a bit more of coding, because at the moment the skill selection form is hard-coded. So rearranging it is possible, but nontrivial (with all the minor details like ensuring that tabbing doesn't jump around too wildly, ...)

But before I reorder everything in the editor, I would like to have a general consensus about the desired order of the skills (because it's not yet perfect in my opinion). For this I started a new discussion thread on the general skill order. When we reached a consensus there, I would apply that order to both the editor and the NeoLemmix player.