Author Topic: [Fixed][Suggestion][Editor] Hotkey for ON/OFF toggling of the grid  (Read 1504 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The most speed increasing thing in the new editor (I am sure) is the grid. Even more in combination with "times 8" tilesets.  (L2, L3 as examples)

But often I encounter cases where I want to turn off the grid for 1 or a few things and after that turn it right on again.

A hotkey for ON/OFF toggling of the grid would be a great acceleration for level creation speed.

I might even argue about moving the grid option from "Settings" menu to the "Global" tab so that it is instantly avialable at all time, as I change the grid quite frequently (2,4,8,16 being the most common settings).

Yes, thinking more about it: A dedicated Hotkey + having the grid setting in the "Globals" tab would both be very beneficial. Even if it isn't a level variable.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:04:28 PM by Nepster »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion][Editor] Hotkey for ON/OFF toggling of the grid
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
I agree, and I've said this before. A hotkey for grid on/off would be an enormous time-saver.

A related request: currently when the grid is off, ctrl-arrow moves a piece by 8. When the grid is on, ctrl-arrow moves a piece by 8 times the grid size. Much more useful would be, in the latter case, to move a piece by 1.

This would deal with some of the same use cases as the on/off hotkey and would make it less urgent, but I believe it would still be very beneficial to have both.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
A related request: currently when the grid is off, ctrl-arrow moves a piece by 8. When the grid is on, ctrl-arrow moves a piece by 8 times the grid size. Much more useful would be, in the latter case, to move a piece by 1.

This would deal with some of the same use cases as the on/off hotkey and would make it less urgent, but I believe it would still be very beneficial to have both.

I agree on everything. :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »
Ok, you will get F9 for toggling the grid usage. It's not much of an improvement over the existing "F10 then click on one checkbox", but well...
And I have implemented the changed behavior of Ctrl when using the grid: It now allows moving pieces by just one pixel.

EDIT: I did not add a shortcut for changing the grid value, as I deem "F10 and then enter it" fast enough.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:04:14 PM by Nepster »