Author Topic: Really stuck now (Genesis Version)  (Read 15257 times)

Deathman48

Really stuck now (Genesis Version)
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:06:38 AM »
Ok, I've now come to an absolute halt on the Genesis version of Lemmings. I must have less than 20 levels left (and I know I can do some of the later ones) but in terms of doing it properly and not skipping levels, I really am stuck now.

Present Level 29 - Private Room Available

The 40 diggers seem to suggest that you need to dig a lot. The only way Lemmings can survive the drop is if they dig on one of the threads dangling off the boxes. If they don't, then they die from the fall. But even grouping up Lemmings I can't see how to get it to work because the thread hanging off is so thin that some Lemmings will fall further and die when the digger breaks through the floor.

Present Level 30 - Final Impediment

I'm not there yet, but omgwtf! I think this is a case of a Hero Lemming where you contain the rest and let one Lemming do the work. I can contain everyone and have one Lemming go off on his own, but the flames bursting out of each side of the center of the map really put a damper on any plan I can come up with. Skills seem to be a bit short for building up to the height of the exit unless I'm using too many to contain the Lemmings over on the right.

Edit - Scratch that last one for anyone who saw it, I saw how to modify my solution for Sunsoft 12 and I've now passed it.

Conway

Re: Really stuck now (Genesis Version)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:31:52 AM »
Hint: For Private Room Available, do what you were saying wouldn't work, but the complete opposite. Notice the number of lemmings you have?

Deathman48

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:43:49 AM »
Yeah, 20 Lemmings and 40 diggers. But the "obvious" way means that I need to dig once to get them down to the lower level, meaning 2x digging for each Lemming falls one short. Is this level just a case of annoying pixel precise digging? >_<

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 02:11:13 AM »
No, it isn't precision, and it isn't grouping.  It's been a while since I solved the level, but if my memory isn't faulty or confused different levels, here's a hint:

Although most lemmings do what is obvious, some do other things.

Deathman48

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:31:38 AM »
Due to simple counting problems, it turns out there aren't enough cells for all the Lemmings. I thought digging down the column on the right would help, get that Lemming to make the trail the rest would follow but I needed a basher to stop him digging all the way through. I end up with 2 Lemmings in one cell which means that one will die when I remove the floor they're on with a digger.

I can't see how your hint helps.  I only have 2 bashers, one builder and one bomber to play with. You need to save 100% so the bomber is automatically useless. You need the builder to bridge the gap and a basher to bash through the diamond blocking your path. You also need a basher to get the Lemmings underneath and through the steel wall, which means I can't use one to stop my digger on the column. That only leaves me a couple of diggers to play around with and I can't see anything else to do given the terrain I have. =/

Conway

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 02:49:35 AM »
Hint: Look closely at the bottom of the column to the right.

Deathman48

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »
Hmm... I didn't notice that down there. But then if I use that Lemming to bash across and make the bridge over the gap on the left, that increases the distance the Lemmings have to fall and it will kill them all. But if I let all the Lemmings drop through first, some of them will reach the bridge before it's complete and fall off the edge and off the map.

Also, I end up with 2 Lemmings in the same compartment (as with the digger on the column I have 19 Lemmings and only 18 compartments) which means that one will always die when I start to dig through the floor. =/

Edit - Hold that thought, I've seen something which I think should work. Trying it out now.

Edit 2 - Done it. Used a digger on the left before the electrocuting thing to get a Lemming to build a bridge first. Thanks guys. ^^ Some help with Level 30 would be appreciated as I have even less idea what to do there. >_<

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »
30's the one Genesis level I've not done yet, though I admit I haven't even looked at it since I returned from my holiday.

Conway

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »
Final Impediment is fairly straight forward compared to Private Room Available. The fire is just there to scare you, to make the level look intimidating. You shouldn't need to go near the fire at all. It's just a matter of getting one lemming to make a route for the rest.

Deathman48

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Contrary to the title, I genuinely really am stuck.

I am A.T - Sunsoft Level 29

I think someone did a custom level based off this. The 40 diggers are clearly important for something, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what. You can't simply build over the gap because it's too big. You can afford to lose 20 Lemmings, or not have 20 Lemmings reach the exit but I've tried this level many, many times and can't work out what to do. =(

I know I can do the final level, which is Fall and No Life (Part 2) but I am A.T and Final Impediment I can't and I'm so close to finally beating this game too..

Conway

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »
Ooooh, are you sure you want a hint? It's very satisfying to finally figure it out by yourself!

Deathman48

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »
Oops, didn't see your previous post. If I could get up to the block on the far left then I could build back up to the exit, but I can't seem to get it to work. When building from the first block left to the second, I can't seem to start the bridge far enough over to stop the Lemmings from climbing up and falling off the edge instead of making the bridge low enough so they just turn around off the wall.

As for I am A.T. Over the last few days I've satisfied myself enormously by beating at least 6 levels that I'd previously never been able to do before even after many attempts, but this one I just don't know what to do.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 07:13:04 PM »
Quote from: Deathman48  link=1128474398/0#9 date=1128528754
I think someone did a custom level based off this.

Someone?!? I think it's best to say who hasn't done one, I can think of at least five users on this forum alone who have remade it in some way or another. I've also remade the other one you're stuck on, and I'm the only one (as far as I know) to remake Present 29 (or SUNSOFT 3 if you're on the SNES).

EDIT: Thats five users, not six. Praetor doesn't visit this forum.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 07:21:27 PM »
Who are the six? I can think of Conway, you, Special_Gunpowder and me, although my level using that device (Zorn's Lemming) hasn't been released yet so you might not even be including me in the six....

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 07:24:33 PM »
Insane Steve made one for Cheapo (I.S. 03: Chaotic - I am I.S.).
Still one missing.