Author Topic: Really stuck now (Genesis Version)  (Read 15005 times)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: Really stuck now (Genesis Version)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 07:26:02 PM »
apart from the four you mentioned, Insane Steve and Praetor, although Praetor doesn't visit this forum, so I suppose I should change it to five.

EDIT: Geoo89? where did you come from?
Btw, I've changed it to five, sorry for the confusion.

Deathman48

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 08:07:25 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1128474398/0#12 date=1128539584
Someone?!? I think it's best to say who hasn't done one

Alright then, I'll rephrase it. I have seen at least one person do a custom level based on this level. That better? You're forgetting I don't spend as much time here as you people nor have I been a member as long. I've only seen a few levels from the Custom Level List game and I recalled seeing one there. I've also not played anyone's custom levels so I can't determine necessarily from looking at the picture what tricks need to be used in what locations.

So if you would kindly cut me some slack for not being a Lemmings expert, as well as someone actually giving me a hand if so many people have done a level based on this one, I would appreciate it.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 08:20:01 PM »
....you know, I really don't think Isu meant that in a nasty or aggressive way.

Anyway, you want some hints. There are really just three tricks to this level -- one big one and two smaller ones. I really don't want to tell you the big one, because it will spoil your pleasure in solving this level; but it does use those diggers, nearly all of them. You have to think of how the lemmings on the left side can get up to the top of the wall, since you don't have enough builders to build them there.

For the second trick, I'll just say that it will make things easier if you don't start doing the actual work of the level immediately -- let the first twenty lemmings from the right trapdoor walk straight to the exit.

Deathman48

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 08:52:51 PM »
Neither was my comment, stuff I say just comes off cold sometimes, anyone who's known me for a while will tell you that. =P

Yeah, I did kind of think that some of the Lemmings on the right needed to get to the exit. I thought maybe some wall of diggers that would create a gradual slope that the Lemmings could walk up might work, I haven't been able to execute that yet though so I don't know if that's what works. Blah, I'm sure it will hit me eventually what the main trick is. >_< And with only 2 minutes I'm sure the release rate has to be put way up immediately.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »
And with only 2 minutes I'm sure the release rate has to be put way up immediately.

Yah, I forgot about that. You're right. I think around 80 is what you want.

Deathman48

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 09:01:02 PM »
Am I right in saying that you want to basically dig most of the terrain away? If that's the case I'm sure that the builder must be used for getting over the gap above the shredders and/or the bomber must be used to stop one of the diggers from going down too far.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 09:16:34 PM »
Well, not quite. There's still that little bit of metal at the end; so at some point you definitely need to get the lemmings to go up.

The bomber isn't used at all.

Conway

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 09:28:01 PM »
The builder can be used, but it's not necessary. Oh, and some of the diggers at the end can't be saved.

There. Now I think I've completely spoiled it!

Deathman48

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 09:46:16 PM »
No, you didn't spoil it. From the tools given it didn't look like you'd be able to save everyone and with only one builder which needs to be used to get up over the steel I think some of them will fall into the shredder trap, or just be wandering around aimlessly by the time 2 minutes is up. And if it's possible without the builder then my guess at having a gradual slope by getting the Lemmings up top to dig in sequence from left to right must be along the right track.

Edit - Yeah, I've got the solution. Haven't been able to execute it yet but I know it works. Now for Final Impediment.. when I'm building from the first steel box to the one to the left of it, no matter how far left I start my bridge, it always goes one step too high and the rest of the Lemmings will just walk right off the edge. Is this where the Bashers come in to slightly extend the first bridge laterally so that it doesn't go too high?

Edit 2 - Never mind all of that. I got 80 Lemmings home in I am A.T and just now I beat Final Impediment. I got over (no pun intended) the problem of Lemmings scaling the wall by digging while building my bridge, that was enough to lower it to make the gap too high. Thanks to ccexplore, guest, the guys in this thread and everyone else who helped me out on a few levels when I got stuck. ^____^

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 11:43:02 PM »
I see a solution for I am A.T. that would save 100%. The only problem is that it would be VERY hard to execute.

Deathman48

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 12:58:18 AM »
Jeez. =/ I can't even fathom how that would be possible, would you mind posting that up? In that weird unreadable font if you don't want to give anything away.

Conway

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »
Deathman, please could you post a screenshot of your solution to level 30? I don't think that's how I solved it.

Well done with the last two levels!

And Guest, I too am very curious as to a 100% solution to I am A.T. Does it involve a glitch?

Deathman48

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 01:31:06 AM »
Argh, you want me to relive the horrors of that level again? :# Lucky I had a saved state right at the crucial part. =P And thanks for the congrats, I finally beat the game so I'm pretty happy. ^^

If you see where I circled, that's where I used a digger to dig down and then I carried on building so that on the left the gap was too high for any Lemmings to climb over. Over on the far right (out of the screen) I had the trailblazer Lemming build to cover the gap. I then mine under the blocker to release everyone and because of the bridge they fall onto, none of them die. My trailblazer carries on building up to the exit and the rest of the Lemmings follow on the path. Hope that's what you wanted. ^^

Oh yeah, and I know that where I circled there's a gap in the bridge where the Lemmings will fall through, I dug down one pixel too far for this example, but I didn't do that when I actually beat the level, there were no gaps then, but you can see what I did from the screenshot anyway.

Conway

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 02:52:15 AM »
I didn't do the zig-zag, I just build straight up so the lemming came nearly under the block to the left, then when he turned back, built to the one under the group to save time, and have him build a few individual steps to connect with the stuff at the bottom of the block.

http://uk.geocities.com/benjconway79/pictures/final.png

In this screenshot, the releasing of the blocker is a bit messy, and I'm way behind schedule, but the building is about right.

Deathman48

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 02:57:56 AM »
Interesting.

Actually, originally I was wasting builders on the right trying to contain the crowd, I didn't look at the blocker because I needed 100% and the blocker didn't enable that in my newbie mindset, I forgot about the miner to release it. XD I did try your method of one large bridge but I couldn't get the bridge to actually hit the block and at the time I didn't have enough builders after the ones I'd wasted. By the time I realised you could use the blocker to hold the crowd, I was dead set on getting my zig-zag pattern to work because I knew it had to somehow. My solution went through many revisions before I actually arrived at it. ^^;

My solution uses less builders though. =P