Author Topic: What do I need to know when updating to or in the new format?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
What do I need to know when updating to or in the new format?
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:58:04 AM »
I thought of this thread for a bit and decided to ask
What should I know ahead of time and how should I get use to the new sets.

In case I can't think of anything else to ask, I'll leave this topic up to anyone who wants to ask about it and feel confused

anyways lets begin

First off, do I have to make a new folder for a newer version everytime one releases?
What I dislike about lix is the constant having to move the file then replace it with a new version and set it up again. This is why I never touch Lix that much because i do more maintaining with it than actually playing with it. This is why I haven't bothered with multiplayer releases for a long time. If it isn't there already would updates be handled like the old format where if you want to update  from a previous version, you can select the smaller download file and not have to do much or not have to set up everything from start again.

Lastly this is more of a suggestion if it wasn't one already. If possible while set addition are arounds, can it be possible to set up a system where the play would download the pieces if a level selected has missing pieces to begin with?
I say this because I don't want to constantly have to look at the forums if im missing a piece of pieces for whatever set I need to play.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: What do I need to know when updating to or in the new format?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
First off, do I have to make a new folder for a newer version everytime one releases?
What I dislike about lix is the constant having to move the file then replace it with a new version and set it up again. This is why I never touch Lix that much because i do more maintaining with it than actually playing with it. This is why I haven't bothered with multiplayer releases for a long time. If it isn't there already would updates be handled like the old format where if you want to update  from a previous version, you can select the smaller download file and not have to do much or not have to set up everything from start again.
No, you don't have to create a new folder for each update. I always release small "update" packs, that can be extracted into the existing folder. But you have to select "Yes, do merge new folders with existing ones" and "Yes, do overwrite existing files".
Similarly if you download the full version: Extract it into the existing folder and overwrite all your old files.

Lastly this is more of a suggestion if it wasn't one already. If possible while set addition are arounds, can it be possible to set up a system where the play would download the pieces if a level selected has missing pieces to begin with?
Together with the Shimmier, this is the next feature that gets implemented. I already wanted to do that for quite some time, but never got around actually adding it.