Author Topic: Mobius' Lix Levels  (Read 9530 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Mobius' Lix Levels
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
some new levels (and some old ones)
I miss the days when people made small 10 level packs and shared them quickly back and forth. So I decided to start doing something similar again.

"leftovers" are some levels that I made for the community pack which didn't make it in or may not make it in for various reasons.

"non-tutorials" are 7 brand new levels loosely based off of the L1 tutorial levels.

They probably need a lot of work. The new ones are easy to moderate difficulty.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Mobius' Lix Levels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »
Solved all of your new "non-tutorials" and attached replays.
They were quite interesting and I generally liked them but they felt sometimes quite finicky. (Maybe I was backrouting I don't know). Thanks for making these.
It's only a personal thing but for me it's helpful if it's stated that all levels are solvable or similiar. It's generally clear that the levels are tested before published but having the definite information helps me in solving levels.

Some remarks (click to show/hide)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:45:56 AM »
thank you!

yes the leftovers; some are present in my version of the community pack but I don't know if I have the current one or if they will remain there. Some are not present. These are all old ideas anyway.

Non-Tutorials:
I forgot to mention these levels are intended to have multiple solutions. Your solution to Task for Batters was very close to mine.  Some interesting solutions there!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
Solved your "leftovers" as well. These seemed rather hard levels to the most part but were interesting as well.

Some remarks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:42:42 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
thanks again! most of them were intended :thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
I solved the non-toturials (quite hard and sometimes rather finicky), and the two leftover levels that I haven't seen variations of before.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:55 AM »
thanks for playing!

Other than that the solutions were acceptable and interesting.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:22 AM »
Solved all the "leftovers" levels.

Comments (click to show/hide)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:56:32 PM »
mobius, did you ever publish "Oblique Strategy" elsewhere?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 01:08:20 AM »
mobius, did you ever publish "Oblique Strategy" elsewhere?

It was in Mobilems II, titled Obstacle One. I also have a chips challenge 1 & 2 levels titled Oblique Strategy.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
I'd like to include these levels in the Lix main download. mobius:

Okay? Are you okay to have these levels in the Lix main download?

Duplicates: Some of these levels are in lemforum/, the flagship pack. I'd keep those in lemforum/ and exclude the duplicates from your small pack here, then. If you'd like, we can go over the list and decide for each level.

Folder: Three possibilities come to mind:
  • levels/single/mobius/{leftovers, nontutorials}
    But then your 16 levels would sit alongside other large packs with over 100 levels. I'd prefer something else instead:
  • levels/single/misc/mobius/{leftovers, nontutorials}
    That seems more fitting for a small pack. xmas2018 is also a small pack, it has 24 levels, and it sits in misc/. You'll have two subfolders in your pack then. Or:
  • levels/single/misc/mobius/
    No subfolders. Your 16 levels would sit in mobius/ directly. This feels best to me, especially if we already exclude some levels from leftovers. But it's your call.
No matter how we decide, we can move the levels again if you make more levels.

Replays: I'll need a solution replay for every level. Forestidia and geoo have posted solutions that you commented. I can take all their solutions that you judged close enough to the intended solution. I'll let you know if I need more replays.

CC0: All levels in Lix have been released as CC0 so far. CC0 gives up copyright, it's essentially public domain, with a very permissible fallback license for jurisdictions lacking public domain. This means that random people from the internet could sell Lix without giving us credit. Are you okay with releasing these levels under CC0? I'll be happy to discuss here or in IRC.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:54:06 PM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 02:48:20 AM »
Sure! Whatever seems best to you is fine. Remove the duplicates.

Replays: Sorry but I'm on an older computer right now that doesn't have any of these files. I really don't have the time to look into it.

CC0: Yes I don't need or want any credit for my work. I'm new wave and I don't believe in ownership or possession :P

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 03:23:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply! :lix-grin:

I'm busy for the next days with other things, too. But once I get around to your levels, if I need help, I'll let you know.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:35:13 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 05:35:50 AM »
mobius: Please send me the intended solution to Pinnacle of Defeat. (I could cover Pinnacle of Defeat with any of the backroutes that were posted here, but it's better style to cover with the intended solution.)

That's it, everything else is covered. :lix-grin:

I've removed the following 3 levels because they're already in lemforum:

Take a Giant Nose Dive (= As Good as Dead)
Get Behind Me, Satan (= Conundrum)
Five Easy Steps (= Theresa Falls up the Stairs)

The Whispering Wind, apparently, is not Five for Fighting, but it looks like it. I feel that different levels should look different. Would you be up for redecoration of The Whispering Wind?

Your Eye of the Needle looks different than lemforum's Eye of the Needle. The main trick is identical (?), the supplement ideas are different. If the supplement is interesting by itself, let's definitely keep your version, but let's rename the level then. What would you suggest? Eye of the Short Needle? :lix-blush:

That leaves 11-13 levels and I'll put them all in a single directory levels/single/misc/mobius/. No subfolders. The leftovers will be sorted first, ordered like you had ordered them, followed by the nontutorials, ordered like you had ordered them. I've renamed the files according to the level titles without spaces.

I've covered all levels with Forestidia's replays. You judged those good except for the backroute of Pinnacle of Defeat, but Pinnacle of Defeat had only backroutes posted.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:45:39 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
I'm sorry but I cannot work on this at all right now--way too much going on.

On Pinnacle of Defeat;

edit:
I've removed the following 3 levels because they're already in lemforum:

Take a Giant Nose Dive (= As Good as Dead)
Get Behind Me, Satan (= Conundrum)
Five Easy Steps (= Theresa Falls up the Stairs)

The Whispering Wind, apparently, is not Five for Fighting, but it looks like it. I feel that different levels should look different. Would you be up for redecoration of The Whispering Wind?

Your Eye of the Needle looks different than lemforum's Eye of the Needle. The main trick is identical (?), the supplement ideas are different. If the supplement is interesting by itself, let's definitely keep your version, but let's rename the level then. What would you suggest? Eye of the Short Needle? :lix-blush:

That leaves 11-13 levels and I'll put them all in a single directory levels/single/misc/mobius/. No subfolders. The leftovers will be sorted first, ordered like you had ordered them, followed by the nontutorials, ordered like you had ordered them. I've renamed the files according to the level titles without spaces.

I've covered all levels with Forestidia's replays. You judged those good except for the backroute of Pinnacle of Defeat, but Pinnacle of Defeat had only backroutes posted.

The Whispering Wind; I feel differently; :P It's designed to be a repeat level, why must repeats be *exactly* the same?
To this and the rest of these levels: The reason I made these levels/this pack is because when working on the forum pack way back; I disagreed with the others on some matters of my own levels then decided to let everyone else do whatever they wanted to them and I stopped working on them. Later I remade many of these levels my way in Lemmini (and subsequently in NeoLemmix) and copied some of these to this small pack. So this was basically a feeble attempt to do them the quote unquote 'right way'.
Since I really don't feel like working with Lix much anymore (apart from multiplayer) it's up to you. Just don't ask me for help because my 'vision' (to sound grandiose) is quite different in some respect and I'm stubborn and don't like to compromise :P I force myself to let others decide and make decisions but I'll always have that voice in my head saying "grrrrrrrr... this is not how it's supposed to be! this is wrong!"
It's a gift/curse :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:09:17 AM by mobius »

-Hakuin Ekaku