Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Multiple of the same skills from one pickup  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] Multiple of the same skills from one pickup
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
I've been messing around with pickup skills while making some levels and have come up with an idea that could be useful:
It would be nice if you could increase the amount of skills you get from one pickup. :D

Imagine if you have about 10 or 20 Lemmings and you want to give them all a specific skill that is only unlocked via a pickup later in the level. In this case you'd have to line the pickups next to each other and that would take up a lot of space. This problem would be averted if it was possible to add more skills to one pickup.

I've also made a quick visual concept if my explanation was a bit unclear. :-[

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Multiple of the same skills from one pickup
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
This seems like a good idea. :thumbsup:
You would need to put the exact number beside the pick-up skill as you showed in the picture and I think the numbers up to 10 or maybe 20 would be enough. I had the situation once where I needed ~ 5 builders at one place to be pick-ups, but even in cases of 2 or 3 this method would be clearner and more space efficient. A box in the editor where you can select the quantity of the chosen pick-up skill would be nessesary I assume.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
One thing I've tried is to just offset all the pickups by one pixel each. It's clear that there's more than one there that way, and it honestly doesn't take all that much space. Still, your idea could make it very concise and immediately clear.
Admittedly, somebody could get rather rude with this by stacking pickups of different types behind each other so you can't clearly see which is which. Even clear physics mode wouldn't immediately reveal such treachery... :evil:

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
While were on the subject of pickup skills there's another suggestion I may add, Change the sound.
The "Boing" doesn't do it for me, I'm look for more of a "Click" or something like Collecting a ring or a coin

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
Regarding the original request, I have one question: While I can see that this might be of use in a few selected circumstances, I am not convinced that this is really useful in a lot of levels. Most of the time, you need one or two of the pick-up skills and then you can place them slightly apart.
Having said that, I have to add: I am not in any way against the suggestion. I am merely concerned that my coding time might be better spent on other features.

@GigaLem: I don't have nice sounds myself, mainly because I am not really interested in them in general. But if you have a suggestion, add the sound file here and if it meets general approval from the other forum members, I will change it.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »
Regarding the original request, I have one question: While I can see that this might be of use in a few selected circumstances, I am not convinced that this is really useful in a lot of levels. Most of the time, you need one or two of the pick-up skills and then you can place them slightly apart.
Having said that, I have to add: I am not in any way against the suggestion. I am merely concerned that my coding time might be better spent on other features.
That's undeniably true, but maybe if the feature gets added people would use the idea more? I would like to hear what oher people who make levels think of this idea. ???

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
That's undeniably true, but maybe if the feature gets added people would use the idea more? I would like to hear what oher people who make levels think of this idea. ???
its more so that we can avoid this

Stuff like this is why we need a pick up skill box
People be up for that so level horizons can be wider

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Even if it won't happen immediately because of lower priority, it's good to mention this early for better planning. Maybe the text-based formats can accept this easily now, but hardly later.

The solution to this sausage might be fewer initial lemmings. Assigning 40 climbers is painful. Can you realize the level idea with 10 lemmings instead?

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Even if it won't happen immediately because of lower priority, it's good to mention this early for better planning. Maybe the text-based formats can accept this easily now, but hardly later.
namida's design of the level files is flexible enough to easily incorporate such multi-skill pick-ups. No worries there.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
I think you don't even need the "x" in the symbol. When people see the number they should know what it means. And we don't need a "1" if there is no number present "1" should be assumed.

sausage
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
I think you don't even need the "x" in the symbol. When people see the number they should know what it means. And we don't need a "1" if there is no number present "1" should be assumed.

sausage
Agreed. The "x" just takes room from the important image that shows which skill you will get.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
I added this feature now. This will become available with the next NeoLemmix update.