Author Topic: Anyone else getting the Crash Bandicoot remakes?  (Read 7452 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Anyone else getting the Crash Bandicoot remakes?
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »
(For those who somehow didn't hear - remakes of the original three Crash Bandicoot games are coming out next Friday for PS4! From the video footage I've seen they look extremely true to the originals, although time trials have been added to the first two games.)

I've definitely been excited about these since I first heard they were coming, and finally put my preorder in yesterday. Thanks to PS4's pre-download feature I'll be able to play as soon as it releases; and thanks to the timezone here that should be among the first people in the world. :P

If I can get streaming from my PS4 working well, I'll probably stream when I play it too. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else getting the Crash Bandicoot remakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
I'll be picking it up too.

Big fan of the Crash series although Wafflem must be a bigger fan than me because he's actually put Crash music in some of the MegSEByte levels :)

That is a big thing for me, it HAS to be close mechanic wise to the originals otherwise I'll be greatly disappointed with it.

So many remakes occur these days and I think this is one of those ones which a lot of people are going to have their eyes on for being close to the original because let's face it, I think the FFVII remake is not going to be anywhere close to the original.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »
If Only I weren't so broke, because I really want to pick these up.
Looks good, seem to play well, and has all the charm of the originals

I just want. Though I do have one issue.....No CTR remake :(

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
It's releasing in about an hour here! :)
I'm going to be streaming it on Youtube, so if you're interested, here's the link:

https://gaming.youtube.com/user/jihoon4242/live
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
Must say I'm very impressed with this remake overall, I've only played Crash 2 up to final warp room and Crash 3 up to Level 8 but I'm confident that this game is going to be very fun.

I'm not so fussed about Coco being a playable character, it doesn't seem right that she can do everything crash does. She is better off staying in the levels she was playable in Crash 3 originally.

I initially started out using the analog stick but I later switched to entirely using the d pad on the PS4 controller because I didn't have dual shock controllers for my PS1 when I played this back in the day, not even sure if this game supported analog controls anyway.

I already know namida hates this feature but it's nice to have hints on the loading screens of the levels with additional gems (not the box gem) telling you how to obtain this gem. It doesn't so much as spell it out to you but it tells you what you need to look out for and as someone who never 100%'d any of the crash games on PS1, this is a welcome addition.
This is probably the only thing that is making the games easier, this time around.

I'd definitely recommend this as a must for anyone who has a PS4 and has ever enjoyed the Crash PS1 games.

Also for those who are interested in trophies, there are 3 platinums in this, one for each game. It will require 100% completion and collecting absolutely everything (maybe not every single highest ranked relic).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:03:29 AM »
Some of the original game's have analog support. Crash 1 doesn't. IIRC, Crash 2 only does in PAL regions. Crash 3 did in all regions.

Crash vs Coco is purely a cosmetic change. So aside from a few trophies that require using Coco, you can just ignore this feature anyway.

I don't hate the gem hints altogether, I just felt one specific one was too strong a hint, and that the original game provided a much better (and more subtle) hint on this one. As someone who already knew where all the gems are, the only major help these gave me was on Crash 1, because the way to get them isn't quite consistent with how you now get the clear gems in Crash 1, even though both were the same (just different levels) on the original.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
I'm putting up videos of all my platinum relic runs (there's a few I already got that I didn't video, but I'll do another run on-camera that meets the required time when I get to those - all of them are in Crash 1 anyway, and I'm doing Crash 2 first).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVWvcY0oGEFx3u-9ecwsSoE_NsJ2avYJj
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
Made quite a bit of progress on the platinum relic videos the last few days.

I now have:
Crash 1: N Sanity Beach, Jungle Rollers, The Great Gate, Boulders and Hog Wild. I also have the platinums on Boulder Dash and Whole Hog, but didn't catch those two on video (as I achieved them long before I started trying to make a platinum relics playlist). I've also made some serious attempts at Stormy Ascent's relic, but haven't even reached the end (let alone got platinum) yet. I did have one attempt that came pretty close to the end (probably about 90% of the way through the level before I died), but the time would very likely have missed the platinum requirement, although not by much (it certianly would've achieved gold).
Crash 2: All platinums in the first four warp rooms
Crash 3: All platinums in the first two warp rooms, plus Road Crash, Bye Bye Blimps, Orange Asphalt, Mad Bombers and Eggipus Rex. The racing level ones were all done without using the "wait for a minute or so before starting so you don't have to deal with the other racers" trick, too - Hog Ride was a HUGE pain to do this on, but it actually didn't make much difference for Road Crash and Orange Asphalt (probably because Hog Ride's relic comes down to "hold a wheelie for the whole race", whereas the other two actually don't have much wheelie abuse and is more just about keeping your speed up and not screwing up the tight corners).

I might livestream next time I try to make attempts at Stormy Ascent. I'm fairly certian that by this point I could do the first upwards section blindfolded, but the rest of the level is still a major challenge (and let's be fair, the first part is significantly easier than the rest of the level).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:38:00 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
Got all the platinum relics in Crash 3 now! :D Followed the same rule for Area 51 (not waiting for the other racers to finish), and got Hot Coco the legitimate way rather than using waves to jump over the nitros too - Area 51 was actually disappointingly easy given how hard I'd heard it was, but getting Hot Coco's platinum the legitimate way was a huge challenge - I very likely would have given up and used the cheap way or just settled for gold if it wasn't my favorite Crash 3 level. :P

For Crash 1, I've completed the first island, but haven't got any of the others (well, I have Boulder Dash and Whole Hog, but didn't catch them on video, so will have to redo them).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Completed the second island on Crash 1 too now. Most of it was actually pretty easy, but Road To Nowhere... ugh... that one was nasty. (Sunset Vista to some extent too, though it has a VERY lenient time - in fact, its platinum time is longer than any other level's sapphire, except for Stormy Ascent.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 12:12:34 PM »
And I've now got every platinum relic in the game - yes, including Stormy Ascent! :D

Full playlist link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHn6jtubZA&list=PLVWvcY0oGEFx3u-9ecwsSoE_NsJ2avYJj

The levels are in their in-game order, with secret / DLC levels at the end of each game's list.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
So, a new update today adds a new level, Future Tense, to Crash Bandicoot 3. Unlike Stormy Ascent (which was a well-known cut level), this one is completely original. It's also free - though you do still have to "purchase" it as DLC, it just doesn't cost anything.

It claims to be "a whole new level of difficulty". That's a lie, Stormy Ascent was way harder. It is still a very fun level though, and while it might not be the hardest level ever, it's definitely very challenging.

On a side note, the remakes are now also available on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC - or will be soon (apparently, Steam is doing their usual piss-around with new releases and it won't be actually playable for another day yet; and I've heard Xbox One is doing the same in the case of digital copies (physical is fine though); but I've heard it is already playable on Switch).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
I'm going to buy it for Switch once the physical version comes out.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »
I'm going to buy it for Switch once the physical version comes out.

Should already be out. Some people even got their hands on it a couple of days early.

So, I've completed this new level now. Of particular interest is my platinum relic run (which by the way, I've added to the playlist with all my other platinum relic videos) - I literally got exactly the required time, right down to the millisecond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqtj72SDtz4
My Lemmings projects