Author Topic: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 Development Thread  (Read 54675 times)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v28 25th Sep 2017}
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
Thanks again Nepster! Looks like I could do with making some of these levels a bit less precise or Hectic. Shouldn't be too hard. Speaking of precision I worry a bit about the new Outdoor 9 Life's Greater Porpoise, I might look to replace that one maybe.
Comments about comments (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v29 30th Sep 2017}
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
I emptied my TODO list again, as well as made some other fixes after a bit more looking over of some of my other recent changes.

v29 changelog:
  • Circus 7 Thinking Inside the Box - My ongoing blind spot for direct backroutes continues. Steeled up the middle-top of each box.
  • Highland 3 A Drop of Scotch - Added extra Attractor and delayed Lemmings from bottom trapdoor to lower execution requirements.
  • Highland 6 Highland Fling - Made minor terrain tweak and added an extra Thrower because I'm a cool dude.
  • Highland 8 Hopping Mad - Extended platform to the right a little bit, slowed down the release rate, and added more time, all so that the execution is a bit easier.
  • Highland 10 Telegraph Pole - Terrain changes, also 7 less Throwers!
  • Outdoor 9 Life's Greater Porpoise - Simplified to remove a load of precision, removed Planter, removed a frog trap, moved down a slot to position 8.
  • Space 4 Space Elevator - Added the small hole into the middle blue wall that I forgot because I'm a huge dummy.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v30 7th Oct 2017}
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
I went through the entire pack and recorded the author solution to every level, uploading them to Youtube (but currently unlisted) so when the game is released people can see what I intended for levels if they think they've found a backroute. As testing is not finished yet I expect it may be the case I may need to re-record some, but it is no big deal.

While doing this I ended wanted to make a small number of tweaks or fixes to some levels, so that's what this update is. Version 30 is available, as well as version 4 of the lost tribe. After this, all that is left is to convert NeoClassic to the new level format then wait for any further testing that I am aware of. Soon we will be getting close to the Release Candidate!

v30 changelog:
  • Beach 4 What a Scoop! moved to position 2.
  • Cavelem 2 Take a Quick Stab - Added extra time, a small mushroom and a Club Basher to remove extrmely tight multi-tasking. A 2nd slot level shouldn't need to deal with that.
  • Highland 10 Telegraph Pole - Terrain changes to fix backroute, removed both Hoppers.

Lost Tribe v04 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 5 - Beating A Dead Horse - Extra time.
  • Lost Tribe 6 - Jumping the Shark - Very minor terrain tweak to undo a mistake where a backroute fix left the level almost impossible without extreme precision (whoops!)
  • Lost Tribe 9 - The Temple of Boom - Removed a Climber, Stomper and a Platformer as I found when trying to re-solve the level that these just confused me more than not having them and it turns out they are not necessary, plus extremely minor landscape tweak to fix theoretical backroute.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:53 PM »
Playing geoo's The Diver Level made me realise one of my Lost Tribe levels was not as immune to backroutes as I thought. If anything, my backroute prevention only made things worse. So I released a quick fix.

Lost Tribe v05 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 4 The Tourist - Better backroute prevention.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
Race will start in 15 minutes (Wednesday Oct 18th) 18:00 UTC! Streams are live now!
Watch www.multitwitch.tv/simonnaar/geoouw

We'll decide whether Highland tribe or the Bonus-Egyptian tribe at the beginning of the race.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
Time for a whole bucket-load of fixes as usual after a stream.

Lost Tribe v06 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 1 Two Sides to Every Story - Layout tweaks near right-most exit to fix backroute, also moved to slot 6 as this level is pretty difficult
  • Lost Tribe 2 (was 3) Tall Tales - Removed 2 Divers, added Shimmier and Filler. Added some steel.
  • Lost Tribe 3 (was 4) The Tourist - Removed 3 Divers and a Stacker.
  • Lost Tribe 4 (was 5) Beating a Dead Horse - More steel to fix backroute.
  • Lost Tribe 5 (was 6) Jumping the Shark - More Steel
  • Lost Tribe 7 Potheads - More Steel
  • Lost Tribe 8 Secret Passage - Prevented embarassing direct backroute.
  • Lost Tribe 9 The Temple of Boom - Layout tweaks and steel added (and removed) to prevent backroutes and remove precision. Added extra Bazooka. Increased time to maximum, because why not?
  • Lost Tribe 10 The Great Hall of Egypt - Removed decorative pillar of crawler-enabling Doom.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
I have had a change of heart and decided that the backroute Simon found on Lost Tribe 7 Potheads was cool and so is now officially an alternate solution.

Lost Tribe v07 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 7 Potheads - Removed additional steel added in v06.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:57 AM »
I'd like to find the Potheads intended solution, too. Where did you put extra steel in Lost Tribe v06?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:55:07 AM by Simon »

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:11 AM »
The steel in v06 covered the surface of the floor between the first and second pot preventing you from

Your proposed idea falls down at step 8. The gap is about 3 pixels too long to rope across.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
Resolved Outdoor 8-9, and Bonus 2 and 6 for now.

Outdoor 7 attempt: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/183209854## at 11:45 (valid for another week or so)
The other levels, see attached.

btw, would you be interested if I recorded videos of my attempts with commentary?

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »
Hi geoo, sorry it's taken so long to respond. Been a busy week.

Thanks for the screenshots. I'll provide comments as usual. If it is easier for you to just record your attempts, I am more than happy to watch. Sometimes it can be just as helpful to see what people try and fail at.

Comments (click to show/hide)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »
Broken two more levels of the lost tribe. :P

Comments on comments:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2017, 04:13:36 PM »
I streamed a little bit of Shadow and sports today:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/186042808

the 1 level I solved was very fun :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
Thanks geoo and mobius. Sorry you're finding it hard mobius, but glad you're ejoying it! :thumbsup: By the way your solution to Shadow 5 Into the Hidden City was intended.

Responding to geoo:

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Lemmings 2] Quest From Kieran 2 {v31 29th Oct 2017}
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »
It's time for yet another update. One day all the small tweaks and improvements will finally end. But today is not that day.

v31 changelog:
  • Cavelem 5 Flappy Lem - Extremely minor terrain tweak to prevent the club basher from constantly failing to perform what you would think would be an extremely simple task for stupid reasons. It is a bad skill.
  • Highland 1 Introducing: Highland - It turns out the attractor was not necessary, and also it was really boring waiting ages for the very slow release rate to get everyone to the exit. Both issues now fixed.
  • Highland 8 Hopping Mad - This level was really fiddly, so I have replaced it with a new level that is a different kind of fiddly, Plot Twist. But to be fair, all Highland levels are fiddly.
  • Outdoor 8 Take A Hike - Major skill changes and minor terrain changes.

Lost Tribe v08 changelog:
  • Lost Tribe 2 Tall Tales - Raised water level ever so slightly so you can't jump over it.
  • Lost Tribe 5 Jumping the Shark - Fixed non-buggy direct route backroute with minor terrain tweaks.
  • Lost Tribe 6 Two Sides to Every Story - Removed a Spearer and the Hang Glider, added 2 Pole Vaulters. Changed landscape to accommodate this.
  • Lost Tribe 8 Secret Passage - Replaced all Sand Pourers with a Filler and 4 extra Magic Carpets, because if there's one thing this Tribe didn't have enough of, it's Magic Carpets. Also some minor terrain tweaks.