Author Topic: [suggest[player]] Rewind to last assignment  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
[suggest[player]] Rewind to last assignment
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
At the moment we have rewinds for constant amounts of time, but maybe it would be good to have a key that rewinds to the frame of the previous skill assignment.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [suggest[player]] Rewind to last assignment
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
Good idea, though I suggest a refinement. Since the most obvious use case is when you want to undo the most recent assignment, it would be good to have a hotkey that rewinds to the frame before the previous assignment.

If it's possible to press repeatedly to go back n assignments, this completely obsoletes savestates.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »
The option is a very good idea! :)

If it's possible to press repeatedly to go back n assignments, this completely obsoletes savestates.

I disagree there. The savepoint can be a lot faster if it is set several assignments back! One button press against several there. The savepoint option is a customisable flexible case of that option.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
Yeah I meant the frame before, so it's easier to reassign. And multiple presses should go to assignments before that like you suggested.
Maybe there could also be an option to go forwards to the next skill assignment in a replay too, though this would have pretty limited use.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
excellent idea!
I also don't think this would make savestates obsolete however; they have other uses as well. [like saving one type of solution while trying another, of course there is saving a replay for that but save states are quicker].
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »
they have other uses as well. [like saving one type of solution while trying another].

Yes, that's a very good point.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »
they have other uses as well. [like saving one type of solution while trying another].

It would be, if save states actually worked that way. It's actually somewhat of a misleading name - more accurate than "save state" and "load state", would be "remember current frame number" and "jump to memorized frame".

Anyway, in general, this is a good idea. I also had another somewhat similar idea: "Jump to next shrugging", which frameskips forward until a lemming becomes a shrugger. It'd be useful when building / platforming over long gaps.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
Jumping 10 seconds basically does that already I think.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Jumping 10 seconds basically does that already I think.

Yes, if you do it right after assigning a Platformer or a Builder. But for a Stacker; or if you execute the jump a bit later than the initial assignment time, it isn't so accurate.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »
Well I'm not opposed to the idea

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »

It would be, if save states actually worked that way. It's actually somewhat of a misleading name - more accurate than "save state" and "load state", would be "remember current frame number" and "jump to memorized frame".

Anyway, in general, this is a good idea. I also had another somewhat similar idea: "Jump to next shrugging", which frameskips forward until a lemming becomes a shrugger. It'd be useful when building / platforming over long gaps.

I suspected this but I guess I never tested this. So does this mean that if I save a state, then restart and doing something completely different from last play, then load state, it won't load it as it was when I saved?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Yes, that is how it works. Which somewhat made sense back in the Lemmix days when we didn't have good rewind support, but that seems pointless now... so I've changed it for the next release so it acts more like an actual save state. :) Do be aware that it still won't carry over between levels, or even between attempts if the postview screen is invoked. I'll probably improve on the latter, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »
Forgot to mention in this topic: The latest experimental release supports all of these changes (skip to last assignment, skip to next shruger, proper savestating).

If you find bugs in them or think there should be improvements to how they work, please make a new topic. :)
My Lemmings projects