Author Topic: My concern regarding the fencer  (Read 2832 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
My concern regarding the fencer
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:01 PM »
I like the addition of the fencer skill, allowing new life into level design however....
I have one concert about it, What is that?
Graphic sets
So many graphic sets will be broken because of the missing fencer in the pickup skill
This will be very exhausting considering how many I've made.
It was tiring enough making those FP tilesets, but i have to go back to every single one i've made this includes
Lix and Lemmini converted
Lemmings 3
and The christmas edits
Thats a bunch of graphic sets, that was why i was so against the new skill addition in the first place, its a huge nightmare for graphic set creators :(

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My concern regarding the fencer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
I think there won't be a big issue.

The pickup skill mask will be unified anyway (as I understood) in the future with the new format --- no need to put in extra pickup skill png's for each tileset. Until then I think namida has a workaround for this.

Also I think it would be possible to simply use tileset-mixing to get pickups skills from already updated tilesets.

So I think you should not worry too much about that, more over updating your tilesets to the new format when the time comes ;)   (this should only be a few clicks with namida's extra tool for each tileset)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »

The pickup skill mask will be unified anyway (as I understood) in the future with the new format --- no need to put in extra pickup skill png's for each tileset. Until then I think namida has a workaround for this.

Also I think it would be possible to simply use tileset-mixing to get pickups skills from already updated tilesets.

So I think you should not worry too much about that, more over updating your tilesets to the new format when the time comes ;)   (this should only be a few clicks with namida's extra tool for each tileset)
A little thing about the mixing tilesets mumbo jumbo, I've dtried doing that with Tancastle set before I Fixed it, Same error came up

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:55 AM »
No graphic set has a Fencer pickup icon. Rather, NL automatically adds one when loading the set.

If you manually add one as an 18th frame, it will work; but if this frame is missing, NL won't crash, it'll just create a Fencer icon based off the colors of the other icons.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:49:52 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:57 AM »

A little thing about the mixing tilesets mumbo jumbo, I've dtried doing that with Tancastle set before I Fixed it, Same error came up

As I've warned in the contest topic when I uploaded that set; I was not finished with it and I uploaded it mainly for that single level I made. The graphic set was not thoroughly tested so many errors (like the one that happened to Icho, Flopsy and others) and your are very possibly due to problems with that set.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
No graphic set has a Fencer pickup icon. Rather, NL automatically adds one when loading the set.

If you manually add one as an 18th frame, it will work; but if this frame is missing, NL won't crash, it'll just create a Fencer icon based off the colors of the other icons.
Holy CRAP, that is a huge relief, Makes me less nervous of the update