Author Topic: Came across something INSANE  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
Came across something INSANE
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:54:10 AM »
I've been a Lemmings fan for just about as long as I can remember. As a result, I am constantly looking at things and listening to things and thinking that they remind me of Lemmings. But today I found something extremely interesting. In my adventures across the internet, I found myself playing a game called Desktop Tower Defense (the very first one, not any of the sequels). I had my volume cranked way down, but then I noticed there were some interesting game sounds. I turned it up a bit, and noticed that at the start of each round, there was a "Let's go" sound...and it was an exact copy of the one in Lemmings (I forget which port). Then, as the "creeps" we're each killed, I noticed that the sound effect for this was the lemming "splat-noise" EXACTLY! Furthermore, when a creep made it to the "finish line," the sound effect played was the "Yippee" noise (again I forget which port). As someone who is not very well-versed in game design, I don't know if those are like the game-sound-effect equivalent of stock photos, but I have a hunch they were just stolen directly from Lemmings. (Feel free to check it out yourself, just google "Desktop Tower Defense.") Small world, isn't it?
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Came across something INSANE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »
Interesting find! Either that the designer is/was a Lemmings fan, or thought that the sound effects was just so perfect for a game like this. How it's taken so long for a current Lemmings fan to discover this and mention it on the Lemmings forum I don't know. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
Re: Came across something INSANE
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
One more discovery...a couple of the select/start buttons react with the "pause/task-select" noise (kind of a *boing*). Again, identical.
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.