Author Topic: Solutions . . .  (Read 23200 times)

DM48

Re: Solutions . . .
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
^______________^

Beat Level 30 on Mayhem just now. Finally. =D At first I didn't think to do it that way to be honest, I couldn't see it I'd tried so hard with other methods, thanks guest, you were a great help. Got Present and Sunsoft modes to do now, I'm on mission 9 and 4 respectively there but I got stuck and went back to Mayhem.

As for Just A Minute and Just A Minute Part 2, the way I did it was to have the first 4 Lemmings bash forward making sure none of them turned round, then when the 5th one arrived I turned it into a digger just behind where the 4 bashers currently are. When he's dug down far enough so that Lemmings can get back up and go into the shredder to the left of the Hatch, I get him to bash. If it's done correctly, the Lemmings will still be able to walk forward to the other 4 bashers due to the angle of the bash, but not back the other way. Crank up the release rate to 99 and it worked on both levels for me. ^^ I usually have 0 seconds to spare in that the level is already blacking out due to the time limit, but there's about a second of blacking out and that's just enough for me to get all Lemmings in.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:04:38 AM »
Well, I might just catch you up then. I've done _nearly_ all of Present and Sunsoft....... I'm leaving "Final Impediment" and "I am A.T." for a while while I tackle Mayhem.

Just beat "Just a minute" by guest's method...... many thanks! Of course I had been using the holding area but only by the more obvious means: dig down so that you can start your bash immediately (as opposed to Part Two) -- this gives you ample time to complete the level on all other versions I've played. Never thought of doing it like that!

(For some reason it seems to be much harder to find a new solution in the shock of your old one not working than to solve the same level from scratch....... as I found earlier with "Let's get together"!)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 10:24:36 AM »
That's how I always solved "Just a minute". I never used the holding area cause I found it easier to use that method, and it works on part 2 too!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:37 PM »
Sorry, I prefer guest's solution. And it can be adapted to solve Part Two:

L1 bashes. RR50 (there's just space to do this even on the Genesis, which doesn't allow RR changes while the game is paused). L2 turns and immediately digs; L3 digs just before him. L2 and L3 each bash as soon as they're deep enough to trap the lemmings -- bingo! holding area! RR99. L1 digs a couple of pixels then continues bashing. Use your last basher to release the crowd from the holding area at the right time when they will just catch up with L1 as he emerges.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:47:15 PM »
Oh that's brilliant!   B) I didn't think of creating a holding area like that for part 2.  I never saw that it can be safe to be bashing facing left if you know what you're doing.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Damn! Now I wish I hadn't told you...... I was going to make a Cheapo level based on that trick and see if anyone got it.

JM

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 07:25:14 PM »
I beat all the levels on Original Lemmings and all the levels on Oh No! More Lemmings

Took a long time but still made it  :D

the guest

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »
That's cool.  I did finish Lemmings some while ago, but as for ONML, I don't think I'm ever going to bother with ONML Havoc #20 for example.  ;)

JM

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »
The last level on ONML Havoc is impossible. I can't remember how I passed it. Did I? or did I not? hmm I can't remember

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
Yar, that's the only ONML level I haven't passed  :-(

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:56 AM »
I left it for a while too..... but it's definitely possible. I found it easier to use the miner in getting down to the exit, and used bombers to get the left lemmings out of the middle "crater".

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 12:40:56 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089510029/15#25 date=1123027676
I left it for a while too..... but it's definitely possible. I found it easier to use the miner in getting down to the exit, and used bombers to get the left lemmings out of the middle "crater".

Oh, I have no doubts that it's possible.  It's just that the level isn't too particularly inspiring me to finish it.  I mean, the level itself is not much of a puzzle, mainly all about timed bombings that's all.  But then again I guess the Lemming games have a tradition of having the second-to-last level more interesting than the last level.  :-/

Incidentally, the interesting thing about what you said above with the miner is, it is also the key to the best known-solution for that level (lose 7 I think, whatever LemSteven listed on the challenge thread.)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 03:30:37 AM »
I've never actually executed the "Lose 7" solution to Havoc 20, but I've heard of it being done before.

Here's where the lemmings are lost:
1 bomber keeps the crowd away from the lizard trap.
3 bombers to get out of the middle crater
3 bombers to clear the exit path.

If the first bomber is placed correctly, he will go off in a spot so that the climber will not climb out to the left and get eaten by the lizard.  Also, a single miner gets both sets of lemmings to meet in a "room" below and to the right of the right entrance.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to time the bombers correctly to execute "lose 7."  I usually need four bombers to get out of the crater, and four more to clear the exit path.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 06:29:54 AM »
Yeah, I know through sketching that solution is definitely possible, but like you said, it's a pain to time the bombers.  Especially the 3 to get out of the crater.  I already felt unmotivated even to just pass the level, so I'm probably not going to bother with doing the challenge on it anytime soon.  ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 08:13:41 AM »
I've only passed that level once; I lost nine, including the climber. I'm surprised that it's possible to save the climber too -- when I was playing it, it seemed to had to find a single pixel or you wouldn't stop the crowd at all -- but I'll try that again on the Mac version as soon as I get home.