Author Topic: Solutions . . .  (Read 23227 times)

Conway

Solutions . . .
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:40:29 AM »
In case you are stuck on a level from any Lemmings game, check out this site: http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solution

&#A0;The only games it doesn't cover are Lemmings 3D, Paintball and Revolution.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Solutions . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 06:11:22 AM »
It doesn't cover Lemmings 3: The Chronicles either.

And if anyone needs help on Lemmings 3D, I know the solutions to every level, although I can't remember "Castle Peralus" or "T'uther Circus Level", and some of my solutions(examples: "Tower Of Lemlab", "Final Maze") are clearly backroutes.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

DM48

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 01:30:41 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089510029/0#0 date=1089510029
In case you are stuck on a level from any Lemmings game, check out this site: http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solution

&#A0;The only games it doesn't cover are Lemmings 3D, Paintball and Revolution.

It also doesn't cover the SNES/Genesis versions either, which is damned annoying since I'm stuck on mission 29 on Mayhem and the Internet is no good because the PC level 29 on Mayhem is a totally different level. >_<

Conway

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 01:57:51 AM »
Are you referring to the level called 'No Hurry, Relax', or something like that? That one is quite tricky. Unfortunately I don't remember the solution off hand . . .

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:13:49 AM »
Quote from: DM48  link=1089510029/0#2 date=1115256641
It also doesn't cover the SNES/Genesis versions either, which is damned annoying since I'm stuck on mission 29 on Mayhem and the Internet is no good because the PC level 29 on Mayhem is a totally different level. >_<

Well, the Internet is at least good at bringing people from all over the place.

I don't have anything Genesis at hand, but based on looking at the level, I would venture the solution might be the following.  Don't get annoy at me if it doesn't work though...  (every time you read "hopefully" and it doesn't work, you can stop reading  ;))

1) first lemming athlete, try to assign the floater as close to the ground as you dare, to save some time (perhaps unnecessary but...)
2) bash to right after climbing up the steel block
3) build once across water, starting your build as close to the edge as possible.  [Hopefully building once is enough to get across the water.]
4) he'll walk around and finally approach the wall with the arrows going left, bash left
5) build once to catch incoming lemmings.  Hopefully it works and you're quick enough that no more than 17 lemmings died.  If not, stop reading because clearly my solution failed.  If that's the case you should try starting off going to the left instead.  Good luck.

6) athlete will float back down, ignore him for the moment
7) first lemming that lands on the bridge you just built, bash right to break through the ground going up and right "/"
8. then make him bash left to break thru the ground going up and left "\".  Now you get your holding place for the crowd.

9) back to the athlete, he's probably walking on the bridge that was built across water.  Before he drops off the bridge, and preferably as close to the right edge of the bridge as you dare, build a second time to the right.  Hopefully the two bridges are long enough to connect to the terrain, so that you completely cover up any path to the water.

10) Now you can bash to free the crowd from the holding area, and they will now instead congregate at the area below the entrance.

11) let the athlete climb up on the left of the pit below the entrance, and then bash left.

12) Let him walk and he will naturally turn around.

13) Make him bash to the right and head back down to the pit.

14) In the meanwhile, preferably somewhere between steps 11 and 13, have someone in the pit build to the left wall of the pit (a steel block), such that the build barely connects with the wall (to get maximum height).  Hopefully, and this is a big if, this is enough to allow the lemmings to walk up and out of the pit.  I counted and the height of the steel block is 17 pixels.  Since a build should have a height of 12 pixels, you have 5 pixels which should be low enough for a lemming to walk up directly, at least on the PC version.  Hopefully the Genesis version works similarly.

15) Now just use your final basher to clear the way to the exit.  You haven't run out of time have you?

Conway

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:10:42 PM »
You could try it in the emulator. I'm sure one was linked to in the Lemming Level List Game.

DM48

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »
Wow, replies, and when this place didn't look too active either, just as well I saved this page on my favourites. ^_^ Yes, that is indeed the level I am referring to, "No Hurry, Relax".

Guest (nice email by the way XD), whoever you are you have my sincerest thanks. I'd been building 2 bridges to start off with down at the bottom and as a result I could only ever save 81 Lemmings. I knew going left didn't work, no matter what I tried there I couldn't save enough so I knew going right was the answer, I just couldn't figure out where to save the 5 or so seconds I wasted building the second bridge early but your method does work so thank you ever so much.  :D Onto the final level now which I've also never been able to do, never found any solutions for that either. I haven't finished Taxing yet which is ironic as they should be easier though once I started making progress on Mayhem I go absorbed in that.

Thanks for your help guys, you've put an end to many an hour I spent trying the level and searching the Internet for answers for level 29.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 10:25:51 AM »
Good Luck on 'Lemmings Ark'. You'll need it! ;)

DM48

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 11:02:37 PM »
Argh. >_< I still cannot do that final level, Lemmings' Ark. I gave up and went back to Taxing where today I've done missions 2-30. 5 of them I managed to complete for the first time but I still can't do the final level on Mayhem.

That's roughly what I managed to work out so far. I know you need one bridge to bridge the gap at the top left to get to the exit, there's clearly no other way of doing that. I think you need one bridge over on the right where I've put it, to bridge that gap there. I also think you need one bridge to bridge the gap in the middle of the block like I've done. I also think (lots of thinking here) that you need to use the 2 miners more or less as I have done, to get a staircase of sorts up to the top so the Lemmings can go up and turn around. The problem is my method requires one more builder than I have. I also appear to have one basher than I can't see much of a use for unless it's bashing the wall left of where my miner currently is to allow another climber to build the bridge due to time constraints.

The problem is the digger really, but I can't see any other way to get the Lemming over to the right hand side, the gap over there is too big to simply fall down and survive. It's the one level to beat before I can consider myself as finally having beat the game (not counting Present and Sunsoft levels) so would someone please give me a hand here? ^^;

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 07:34:56 AM »
Ok, first of all, there is a full solution on GameFAQs for this one.  This level happens to be identical to the SNES version's Sunsoft 5.  The SNES Sunsoft walkthru can be found here.

(Note that there is a part of that solution which has some timing to it.  The solution there gives some precise numbers but you might need to follow different numbers for the Genesis version.)

As for hints:

1) The basher is not just there for decoration.

2) As you pointed out, the trouble is with the digger.  Think about a very difference placement of the digging that doesn't require you to use a separate builder to get over the damage the digger made.  Think about that in conjunction with hint #1.

Good luck!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 01:01:56 PM »
OK....... I'm afraid I'm not quite as far as our friend DM48.

I foolishly thought I'd try to solve all the levels in the Genesis game, not just the unique ones, and having to pass Triple Trouble all over again was a nightmare. (Though it did lead to me finding an excellent solution that's guaranteed to work every time; see the "Level Discussion" thread.)

So, now I'm on 1 Mayhem (Let's get together). [EDIT: and I've done it now, so I'm removing my request for a hint. Though ISU may be interested to know that his Cheapo recreation has a backroute, which I thought was the solution, and was very annoyed when it failed on the actual game!!! :P ]

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 06:45:45 PM »
What! a backroute! ahh shucks, I can't change it now, I deleted the Isulemms 2.lst file, ahh well.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 08:33:56 PM »
I'm up to 16 Mayhem (Just a Minute) now........

Can someone confirm that this is definitely possible on the Genesis game? No matter what clever tricks I think up to get them in as fast as possible I always seem to fall just short...... 94% is my best so far. Aaaaaaaaargh!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089510029/0#12 date=1115670836
I'm up to 16 Mayhem (Just a Minute) now........

Can someone confirm that this is definitely possible on the Genesis game? No matter what clever tricks I think up to get them in as fast as possible I always seem to fall just short...... 94% is my best so far. Aaaaaaaaargh!!!

I can't confirm anything now, but you did make use of that little holding area right?

Have one lemming bash a little ways, then dig down to the elevation of the holding area (don't break open the holding area yet), and then bash towards the exit.  Raise the release rate to 99, and at the appropriate moment, bash to break open the holding area to release the crowd.

Boy if you already have trouble with that level on the Genesis, good luck with Part 2!

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 09:07:28 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089510029/0#13 date=1115672354
Have one lemming bash a little ways, then dig down to the elevation of the holding area (don't break open the holding area yet), and then bash towards the exit. &#A0;Raise the release rate to 99, and at the appropriate moment, bash to break open the holding area to release the crowd.

That was a little misleading.  You do have someone dig so that everyone else but the basher is in the holding area.  Just make sure not to get anyone out of the holding area until the basher has bashed the appropriate distance forward.

DM48

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
^______________^

Beat Level 30 on Mayhem just now. Finally. =D At first I didn't think to do it that way to be honest, I couldn't see it I'd tried so hard with other methods, thanks guest, you were a great help. Got Present and Sunsoft modes to do now, I'm on mission 9 and 4 respectively there but I got stuck and went back to Mayhem.

As for Just A Minute and Just A Minute Part 2, the way I did it was to have the first 4 Lemmings bash forward making sure none of them turned round, then when the 5th one arrived I turned it into a digger just behind where the 4 bashers currently are. When he's dug down far enough so that Lemmings can get back up and go into the shredder to the left of the Hatch, I get him to bash. If it's done correctly, the Lemmings will still be able to walk forward to the other 4 bashers due to the angle of the bash, but not back the other way. Crank up the release rate to 99 and it worked on both levels for me. ^^ I usually have 0 seconds to spare in that the level is already blacking out due to the time limit, but there's about a second of blacking out and that's just enough for me to get all Lemmings in.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:04:38 AM »
Well, I might just catch you up then. I've done _nearly_ all of Present and Sunsoft....... I'm leaving "Final Impediment" and "I am A.T." for a while while I tackle Mayhem.

Just beat "Just a minute" by guest's method...... many thanks! Of course I had been using the holding area but only by the more obvious means: dig down so that you can start your bash immediately (as opposed to Part Two) -- this gives you ample time to complete the level on all other versions I've played. Never thought of doing it like that!

(For some reason it seems to be much harder to find a new solution in the shock of your old one not working than to solve the same level from scratch....... as I found earlier with "Let's get together"!)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 10:24:36 AM »
That's how I always solved "Just a minute". I never used the holding area cause I found it easier to use that method, and it works on part 2 too!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:37 PM »
Sorry, I prefer guest's solution. And it can be adapted to solve Part Two:

L1 bashes. RR50 (there's just space to do this even on the Genesis, which doesn't allow RR changes while the game is paused). L2 turns and immediately digs; L3 digs just before him. L2 and L3 each bash as soon as they're deep enough to trap the lemmings -- bingo! holding area! RR99. L1 digs a couple of pixels then continues bashing. Use your last basher to release the crowd from the holding area at the right time when they will just catch up with L1 as he emerges.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:47:15 PM »
Oh that's brilliant!   B) I didn't think of creating a holding area like that for part 2.  I never saw that it can be safe to be bashing facing left if you know what you're doing.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Damn! Now I wish I hadn't told you...... I was going to make a Cheapo level based on that trick and see if anyone got it.

JM

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 07:25:14 PM »
I beat all the levels on Original Lemmings and all the levels on Oh No! More Lemmings

Took a long time but still made it  :D

the guest

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »
That's cool.  I did finish Lemmings some while ago, but as for ONML, I don't think I'm ever going to bother with ONML Havoc #20 for example.  ;)

JM

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »
The last level on ONML Havoc is impossible. I can't remember how I passed it. Did I? or did I not? hmm I can't remember

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
Yar, that's the only ONML level I haven't passed  :-(

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:56 AM »
I left it for a while too..... but it's definitely possible. I found it easier to use the miner in getting down to the exit, and used bombers to get the left lemmings out of the middle "crater".

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 12:40:56 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089510029/15#25 date=1123027676
I left it for a while too..... but it's definitely possible. I found it easier to use the miner in getting down to the exit, and used bombers to get the left lemmings out of the middle "crater".

Oh, I have no doubts that it's possible.  It's just that the level isn't too particularly inspiring me to finish it.  I mean, the level itself is not much of a puzzle, mainly all about timed bombings that's all.  But then again I guess the Lemming games have a tradition of having the second-to-last level more interesting than the last level.  :-/

Incidentally, the interesting thing about what you said above with the miner is, it is also the key to the best known-solution for that level (lose 7 I think, whatever LemSteven listed on the challenge thread.)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 03:30:37 AM »
I've never actually executed the "Lose 7" solution to Havoc 20, but I've heard of it being done before.

Here's where the lemmings are lost:
1 bomber keeps the crowd away from the lizard trap.
3 bombers to get out of the middle crater
3 bombers to clear the exit path.

If the first bomber is placed correctly, he will go off in a spot so that the climber will not climb out to the left and get eaten by the lizard.  Also, a single miner gets both sets of lemmings to meet in a "room" below and to the right of the right entrance.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to time the bombers correctly to execute "lose 7."  I usually need four bombers to get out of the crater, and four more to clear the exit path.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 06:29:54 AM »
Yeah, I know through sketching that solution is definitely possible, but like you said, it's a pain to time the bombers.  Especially the 3 to get out of the crater.  I already felt unmotivated even to just pass the level, so I'm probably not going to bother with doing the challenge on it anytime soon.  ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 08:13:41 AM »
I've only passed that level once; I lost nine, including the climber. I'm surprised that it's possible to save the climber too -- when I was playing it, it seemed to had to find a single pixel or you wouldn't stop the crowd at all -- but I'll try that again on the Mac version as soon as I get home.

Leviathan

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2005, 11:21:43 AM »
I've never managed to pass "race against the cliches"...not even with the intended "the lemmings solution" solution :(

Havoc 20 is a really annoying level...I passed it once with the solution from "the lemmings solution" and never bothered to play it again...lol

I also needed many,many attempts on the "just a minute" levels...I hate those too :)

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 05:51:38 AM »
The challenge thread implies that there is a 100% solution to taxing 6. If there is, what is it?!!

the guest

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 07:57:18 AM »
http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1115438450;start=7#7

Note that while it definitely does work for the DOS version, I don't if it works for other versions.  (In the SNES for example, the lemmings seem to come out a tiny tad slower ruining the solution.)

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 11:05:57 PM »
I tried that quite a few times. It is definetly easier than the insane 17/21 on havoc 10, but hard enough to make me give up.

the guest

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 11:15:04 PM »
I don't want to promise stuff and fail to deliver later, so let's just say that someday in the semi-distant future, you might be able to see some of the solutions in action on your own computer.

(I shall have no more comments on this until I bring this up again myself.  Which may never happen, remember.)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 11:37:04 PM »
 =8O

Just the thought of it!  B)

Nobody(Guest)

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2005, 04:45:28 AM »
I guess I'm a little late with this, but here's a really easy solution for both Just A Minute levels that I didn't see posted, although someone posted a similar, albeit more complicated version.  After Lemming #1 bashes to the right, make #2 dig just before he hits the wall (he will be slightly further right than lemming #1). When the basher reaches the spot where #2 dug, this will cause him to sink a little bit but continue bashing. This means #2 can dig until the wall on the left is too steep for the lemmings to escape, yet since the path #1 is creating is now lower when you let #2 bash to stop digging he will only bash one stroke and stop.  You can repeat this process two or three more times as the original basher continues to make his way to the right, thereby decreasing the amount of distance the lemmings have to travel when they turn around.  Just make sure to increase the release rate to 99 with 35-40 seconds left and you should end up finishing the level with 10 or so seconds to go every time, no problem.

DarkSonic

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2005, 12:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Nobody(Guest) link=1089510029/30#36 date=1131857128
I guess I'm a little late with this, but here's a really easy solution for both Just A Minute levels that I didn't see posted, although someone posted a similar, albeit more complicated version. &#A0;After Lemming #1 bashes to the right, make #2 dig just before he hits the wall (he will be slightly further right than lemming #1). When the basher reaches the spot where #2 dug, this will cause him to sink a little bit but continue bashing. This means #2 can dig until the wall on the left is too steep for the lemmings to escape, yet since the path #1 is creating is now lower when you let #2 bash to stop digging he will only bash one stroke and stop. &#A0;You can repeat this process two or three more times as the original basher continues to make his way to the right, thereby decreasing the amount of distance the lemmings have to travel when they turn around. &#A0;Just make sure to increase the release rate to 99 with 35-40 seconds left and you should end up finishing the level with 10 or so seconds to go every time, no problem.
That could be a good method to complete them. But does it work for all versions? I'm having problems with Just a Minute #3(Sunsoft 27 or something) and I don't know how I need to finish it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »
I guess I'm a little late with this, but here's a really easy solution for both Just A Minute levels that I didn't see posted, although someone posted a similar, albeit more complicated version.
Funny you say that, your solution seems to be the most complicated of all the ones I've heard about. ::) ;)

Interesting concept though, no doubt someone someday will try to make a new level using that idea.

Nobody(Guest)

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 08:33:18 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1089510029/30#38 date=1131893660
I guess I'm a little late with this, but here's a really easy solution for both Just A Minute levels that I didn't see posted, although someone posted a similar, albeit more complicated version.
Funny you say that, your solution seems to be the most complicated of all the ones I've heard about. ::) ;)

Interesting concept though, no doubt someone someday will try to make a new level using that idea.

Maybe I made it sound complicated when I explained it, but it's extremely simple to execute compared to all the other solutions I've read.  All you need to do is keep making lemmings dig/bash just before they turn around. Plus it allows you to finish with 10+ seconds left, while most solutions I've seen finish with only a couple of seconds left.

Quote from: DarkSonic link=1089510029/30#37 date=1131885922
That could be a good method to complete them. But does it work for all versions? I'm having problems with Just a Minute #3(Sunsoft 27 or something) and I don't know how I need to finish it.
I didn't realize there was a Just A Minute Part 3, but it definitely works for parts 1 & 2 for the DOS, SNES, & Genesis versions. It didn't work for the Windows 95 version, though.

In other news, the Lemmings Solution page seems to be down, the link in the first post doesn't work anymore.

Nobody(Guest)

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 09:12:32 PM »
Quote from: DarkSonic link=1089510029/30#37 date=1131885922
Well I just got to and completed Just A Minute Part 3, because of the level layout and the lack of diggers and bashers you obviously can't use the same solution. Here's a hint if you're having trouble completing part 3: remember that if a lemming is on top of a one way surface and facing the opposite direction of the arrows, if you make him a miner he will turn around? You will have to use this technique twice on this level.

Deathman48

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »
That wasn't really a hint, it gave away the solution. =P With the amount of skills given I'd have thought it would have been somewhat obvious what to do. Or at least, what the climber, digger and basher was used for. =/