Author Topic: Master System Pack  (Read 4230 times)

Offline JeffCharizardFlame

• The Fire Dragon Pokémon
  • Escape Reality and Play Video Games
    • View Profile
Master System Pack
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Hey fellow Lemmings enthusiasts! While it feels weird for my first post to be in a level design thread, I saw the Genesis levels download on the SuperLemmini page and started thinking of making a level pack in the same vein featuring recreations of all the Master System versions of the levels (including the SMS exclusive levels) with a Master System tileset. Would this be worth pursuing and is there such a styleset lying around for SuperLemmini?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Master System Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
There's a copy of the SEGA tileset (but not the Sega versions of the standard tilesets) for NeoLemmix; which can fairly easily be converted to SuperLemmini. There's also remakes of the ten unique levels that are in this graphic set (as well as two other particularly unique ones - Tricky 21 and Mayhem 17, although the latter is based off the Amiga version's layout and simply uses the SMS skillset); you can see them in the "Extra Official Levels" NXP in the "Sega" rank.

One thing to keep in mind is two important differences between SMS and Genesis here:
1. SMS has fairly different physics from most L1 clones. On the other hand, Genesis's physics are almost identical to DOS / Amiga.
2. Aside from the 12 already covered in the Extra Official Levels NXP, SMS doesn't have any unique levels; it just has slightly different versions of the same levels. (However, I do believe these twelve have not been converted to SuperLemmini at any point in time.) By comparison, the Genesis version has a total of 75 levels that either don't appear in other ports or are significantly different from the other ports' versions of the levels.

I don't know how worthwhile the final product will be, seeing as many players tend to prefer NeoLemmix over SuperLemmini, and have already played the levels in question albeit in a slightly different form. Still, it will definitely be a good project to familiarize yourself with the various editing tools, so if you want to do it for that reason, or because you personally will enjoy it, go ahead - certianly, no one is saying "you aren't allowed to do this". :) And also - welcome to the forums! :D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
I never found the SEGA tileset for neolemmix. And NeoLemmix has a level editor as well, if I'm not mistaken, so if it can export to SuperLemmini I could probably just make the SEGA levels first, then pull a sprite sheet of the other master system tilesets and then convert them to a tileset of their own. Do you have an idea where the SEGA tileset is at all, by chance, Namida? ???

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
The SEGA tileset is included with the NeoLemmix Editor, and built into the NeoLemmix game.

And yes - the NeoLemmix Editor can edit SuperLemmini levels. In fact, it's the only level editor that properly supports SuperLemmini levels (other editors only support Lemmini, which SuperLemmini can load levels from).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
Alright. I'll get the Sega One level variations done first and then I'll move on to getting the other graphic sets ported over. Is there a graphic template I have to follow or is there a tool that allows me to create superlemmini/neolemmix tilesets when I get to that point?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »
There is a tool "GST" Graphic Set Tool which can create NeoLemmix tilesets and convert SuperLemmini/Lemmini tilesets to NeoLemmix.  http://www.neolemmix.com/old/gstool.html

To create Lemmini/SuperLemmini tilesets you must look into the filestructure and txt files in the folders of the already existing ones and make your new tileset based on these parameters.

EDIT: Be sure to learn the GST tool by looking into already existing tilesets as well. They are a great blueprint ;)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:15:05 AM »
While i did find the topic to the master system sets....
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1300.msg34031#msg34031
All of the links are DEAD because they led an older no longer active host
meaning no way of downloading them to make your life easier
either Adam has to update the set links or, WE'RE IN A FUBAR SITUATION for now :lix-sad:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »
Alright. I'll get the Sega One level variations done first and then I'll move on to getting the other graphic sets ported over. Is there a graphic template I have to follow or is there a tool that allows me to create superlemmini/neolemmix tilesets when I get to that point?

There's already pretty good remakes of the SEGA levels. They're made for NeoLemmix, but can be fairly easily converted to SuperLemmini once you've got the graphic set converted. (They're in the "Extra Levels" NXP; to dump them as LVL files, you can just start playing that pack and press F4 on the title screen.)

It should be noted that the NeoLemmix Graphic Set Tool can also export SuperLemmini graphic sets, you don't have to set it up manually. In the case of the Sega set, you could just open the NeoLemmix version in the tool, then export it as a SuperLemmini graphic set. Do be aware that it might need some minor touching up manually still, but this will do the bulk of the work for you.
My Lemmings projects

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
well, I found a post on SMS Power that linked to a tutorial from here on how to make Master System levels, and it turns out the converter that was linked has all the tiles I need, but the big thing is going to be reconstructing them into their required sizes since they were broken apart. I think object graphics may be left out too but I can just get those from the Sega tileset.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
In the Master System version, most object graphics are just tiles; the tiles in question are simply treated as non-solid. So just like with other parts, it's simply a matter of reconstructing them from the pieces. I believe traps might be a special case? I don't really remember.
My Lemmings projects