Author Topic: Extracting level images...  (Read 5831 times)

Mr Kiwi

Extracting level images...
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
When I see Lemming level images online are people making them via copy and pasting or are they extracting them from the game?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extracting level images...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:02:57 AM »
If you're using Lemmix (my updated versions; not the original one) or NeoLemmix, you can press I* on the preview screen (or at any time in-game, but this saves the current state of the map, not the initial one). Lix also offers a similar feature although I'm not sure off-hand how to use it.

You can also save images from the NeoLemmix Editor; just go "Save As" as usual, and select PNG format from the dropdown box. Note that saving from the engine is generally more accurate; eg. saving from the editor map render some objects that should be visible as not, won't correctly render pre-placed lemmings as blockers / zombies where applicable, etc.

Aside from doing it via the NeoLemmix Editor (or manually taking screenshots and putting them together), I don't know if there's any way to do so for Lemmini / SuperLemmini levels; you'd have to ask someone who's more familiar with those engines.

* If you've reconfigured the hotkeys in the case of NeoLemmix, it might be a different key instead. Whatever you've configured to "Save Image". I is the default key.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:50:26 AM »
To create a level screenshot in SuperLemmini, press the V key during the level, the preview, or the results screen; the image will be saved to "level.png" in the resource folder. Lemmini works the same way, except you press the S key during the level (not the preview or the results screen).

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:03:59 AM »
And in jLevelBuilder, it's :
"File > Export Level as Image..." (.gif, .png)

When taking screenshots, you probably want to hide the mini-map + on-screen text, so press F3 multiple times to loop through display modes (map, no_map, no_map+no_text, ...)

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
How about games emulated in DOS Box?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
Are you interested in images of (games running in Dosbox), or in images of (levels for (games that run in Dosbox))?

Game in Dosbox: Ctrl+F5 to take screenshot, or Ctrl+Alt+F5 to record video. Stitch together several screenshots for large views.

Level for (game that runs in Dosbox): Either run the game, and take screenshots with Dosbox. Or load the level in a separate tool that can dump entire levels to images. Many engines can load the Lemmings 1 level format.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
If you're after the official levels' images, there's copies of most (if not all) of them on the NeoLemmix website's server. All of these are generated from Lemmix (which is based off the DOS versions of the games).

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelimg/<game>/<level>.png

Where <game> is one of "orig", "ohno", "xmas", "h94", "prima", "covox" or "extra"; and <level> is in the form of the rank number and level number as two digit numbers each.
For example, for Tricky 25: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelimg/orig/0225.png

If you want the whole set, rather than a few specific images, let me know and I'll put up a zip of them.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
Hi Namida,

Yes, exactly what I am looking for. If you are willing to make a zip of all of them... that would be awesome

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
My Lemmings projects

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »
Thanks!