Author Topic: No specific topic creator in email notification of new topic  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
No specific topic creator in email notification of new topic
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »
The e-mail doesn't specify who created the new topic. For example:

Subject: New Topic: XYZ
First line of text: A new topic, 'XYZ', has been made on a board you are watching.

If e-mail notifications can tell me who specifically replied to a topic, or who sent me a PM, I don't see why the same cannot be true for people who created a new topic.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: No specific topic creator in email notification of new topic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
Fixed. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
Awesome, thanks! Though it seems kind of weird that the topic creator's name is on the left of the topic name in the subject line (e.g. in bold: New Topic: [ namida ] Lemmings Forums Level Contest #10 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)), but it's better than nothing. :thumbsup:

On a related note, can you also make the e-mail specify exactly which board the topic has been created in?

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:49:20 PM »
Awesome, thanks! Though it seems kind of weird that the topic creator's name is on the left of the topic name in the subject line (e.g. in bold: New Topic: [ namida ] Lemmings Forums Level Contest #10 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)), but it's better than nothing. :thumbsup:

On a related note, can you also make the e-mail specify exactly which board the topic has been created in?

I should be able to do that. Likewise, I can also change the positioning of where it includes the username. Let me know (perhaps we should see if other people have input too) as to what exactly should or shouldn't be in the email notifications.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:36:13 AM »
If there's no other input on this, I'm going to implement the suggested changes as Wafflem has suggested.

Also, Wafflem - can you expand on exactly how you /would/ like the topic creator to appear? Feel free to make suggestions as to changes to the other emails as well.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
A new topic, 'XYZ', has been made on a board you are watching.

The passive voice twists the sentence. Let's use the active voice:

Simon created "TopicTitle" on BoardName.

Don't put in the first line that we are watching that board. We know that, because we have set that up. If you have to remind us that we ware watching the board, put it later in the mail body.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:34:05 AM by Simon »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
Also, Wafflem - can you expand on exactly how you /would/ like the topic creator to appear? Feel free to make suggestions as to changes to the other emails as well.

Not sure why I forgot to respond to this until now. I would go with Simon's suggestion on what should be in the first line of those who create a new topic on a board I have email notifications on. I especially want the "board you are watching" part to be changed to the specific name of that board.

For Personal Messages, you could also do like what you did when people reply to a topic/make a new topic, that it shows who created/replied to a topic in the subject line (i.e. below):
New Personal Message: [ sender ] XYZ
XYZ being the subject name.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
I don't know if I can include the board name; only limited information is passed to the email composing function. But if the function that calls that one retrieves the information in some way, I can generally add extra info to what's passed. If not, it probably falls into the same boat as attachments to non-private messages and can't be done very easily. (Of course, it would be untrue to say it's literally impossible; it just involves getting deeper into SMF's code than I particularly feel comfortable doing.)

I'll take a look at these changes shortly; just running a backup at the moment.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
Okay, I've got PMs showing the sender now. Haven't done the board name thing yet, I'll look into that now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
The board name should now display in email notifications. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
Thanks! :)