Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9  (Read 5585 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
Okay so - now that LOTY2015 is over, let's have another regular contest - this time something a bit simpler.

I'm going to stick with the concept of having multiple rules, and allowing people to enter one level per rule. However, we'll go back to the usual "no loopholes", instead of "loopholing encouraged".

So basically - there's three categories provided, you may make up to one level for each. You can enter as many or as few categories as you like, but do note that there will be only one winner overall.

Rule 1
Create a level for NeoLemmix or single-player Lix, that uses only skills that were not present in L1.
For reference, these skills are:
-- NeoLemmix: Walker, Swimmer, Glider, Disarmer, Stoner, Platformer, Stacker, Cloner.
-- Lix: Walker, Jumper, Runner, Fling Exploder, Batter, Cuber, Platformer

Rule 2
Create a level for any allowed engine (Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini or single-player Lix) that has only one lemming / lix.
-- Special rule for NeoLemmix: Cloners are not allowed. This includes via the Clone On Assign gimmick or the Instant Pickup Skills gimmick with Cloner pickups.
-- To clarify, in NeoLemmix, zombies and ghosts do count as lemmings.

Rule 3
Create a level for any allowed engine that provides exactly two different types of skills (there is no limit on the quantity of skills given, except that it must be at least 1 of each).
-- Special rule: The skills must not be useless. It is fine if the solution doesn't ultimately involve one of the skills, as long as the skill could possibly serve some kind of purpose. Examples of what would break this rule - bombers / stoners / cubers on a level that requires saving every lemming; swimmers on a level with no water; etc.

For the avoidance of doubt - you do not have to submit all entries at the same time. But please state which rule you're submitting a level for, especially if submitting a level that could qualify for more than one category.

Remember, levels should be submitted via PM to me.

The deadline for entries (subject to the usual extension rule) will be the 24th of March. Extension rule: New deadline is 1:44 AM on 26th March.

Your choice for prizes are:
- $5.00 USD
- A month advertising on the forum's news ticker for a project you're involved with (Lemmings-related or not)
- Your choice for the next contest's rules
- The original (physical!) drawing of Bumpy 12 from Lemmings Plus IV

Please note that from this contest onwards, only first place gets a prize. The only exception is if I enter a level myself and it wins, in which case second-place gets the prize instead.

Entries so far: 13

Apjjm (1/3)
Colorful Arty (2/3)
Flopsy86 (1/3)
Gronkling (1/3)
IchoTolot (3/3)
mobius (2/3)
Nepster (2/3)
Rubix (1/3)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:19:54 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
Question regarding rules 1 and 3: Do the restictions apply as well to preassigned skills? What about preassigning skills to zombies and ghosts?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:01:30 AM »
Question regarding rules 1 and 3: Do the restictions apply as well to preassigned skills? What about preassigning skills to zombies and ghosts?

These are permitted as far as whether or not a level qualifies is concerned. However, as usual, if people feel it's cheap they may decide to rank such levels lower when voting; it's entirely up to them.

However, mentioning zombies and ghosts does raise another point: Since these are technically forms of lemmings, you can't have Ghosts or Zombies in the rule #2 level.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
Hold on. Since gimmicks are being culled except for Zombies, then it should be stated that people can no longer use gimmicks in their contest levels (except Zombies of course).
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
The current version of NeoLemmix still supports them, so until that changes, they're still allowed (unless a contest's rules explicitly say otherwise).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Just a reminder: You're allowed to enter one level for each rule. :) You don't have to just pick one of the three. (Of course, if you only want to enter 1 (or 2) levels, you're allowed to!)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Entries close in about 4 days (subject to usual extension rules). If you were thinking about entering but haven't yet (or if you've entered one or two levels but wanted to enter more), time is running out!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:06 AM »
Deadline has extended due to the extension rule. (1:44 AM on 26th March.)

Just to clarify on how the extension rule will work here in relation to those who have submitted entries for some rules but not others: If you submit a level to a rule you haven't previously entered, it counts towards extending the deadline. If you submit an updated version of, or even a new level, for a rule you've already submitted a level for, it will not cause the deadline to extend.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
General question which applies to all contests: What happens if, during the playing phase, I am unable to beat a level? Would it be okay if I just posted an attempt replay?

Also, I feel it would be unfair for me to vote, if I have not beaten all the levels. I feel it doesn't make sense to vote for a level that I've beaten as opposed to a level that I have not beaten, even if the other level has more interesting and unique tricks than the easy one I've voted on.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 04:16:31 PM »
General question which applies to all contests: What happens if, during the playing phase, I am unable to beat a level? Would it be okay if I just posted an attempt replay?

Also, I feel it would be unfair for me to vote, if I have not beaten all the levels. I feel it doesn't make sense to vote for a level that I've beaten as opposed to a level that I have not beaten, even if the other level has more interesting and unique tricks than the easy one I've voted on.

You should at least try to beat every level, but if you cannot solve a few levels, I think it would be way more unfair to not be able to vote.
Especially for newer people it would be a big brick wall. Maybe just upload the best attemd, or the author uploads the solution shortly before the voting phase.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 12:56:57 AM »
The voting criteria, except in rare cases when it's outright stated otherwise (which has never happened yet in any contest that went ahead), is "Which level do you like the most, based on whatever criteria you consider relevant?". So it's up to you how you handle cases where you couldn't beat the level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I think we can start the Playing Phase now, as we're past the deadline.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
It's only been half a day since the deadline. Patience, young lemming. :)
My Lemmings projects