Author Topic: [FIXED] [GLITCH] [PLAYER] Cloning Platormers after first brick leaves gap  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
I thought the glitch I reported here was fixed long ago, but somehow it still works in V1.43.

The suggested change was to clone the bricks together with the lemming, as it is done when cloning (respectively turning around) builders.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:22:29 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [GLITCH] [PLAYER] Cloning Platormers after first brick leaves gap
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
No change was ever made in regard to this. At the time, the overall thought seemed to be "wait for V2.00", then after the decision to continue slowly upgrading the current version, this issue was forgotten.

The "cloning" the brick solution does seem like the optimal one, looking at the past discussion.

One question that would stand is - in the interest of consistency, should this apply to stackers too? It's a subtle change that would rarely, if ever, have an effect (I can't think of any level so far that involves turning a lemming around mid-stack), but it's probably best to decide that before any levels relying on it appear.

EDIT: Nevermind, such a situation is impossible to achieve with stackers, since they place their brick on the very last frame of their animation loop.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:50:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:53:24 PM »
No change was ever made in regard to this. At the time, the overall thought seemed to be "wait for V2.00", then after the decision to continue slowly upgrading the current version, this issue was forgotten.

The "cloning" the brick solution does seem like the optimal one, looking at the past discussion.

One question that would stand is - in the interest of consistency, should this apply to stackers too? It's a subtle change that would rarely, if ever, have an effect (I can't think of any level so far that involves turning a lemming around mid-stack), but it's probably best to decide that before any levels relying on it appear.

About stackers: Does that mean that this won't be possible anymore? (X means stacker brick)

Cloned  Original
X           X
X           X
X           X
             X
             X

Because if so I would give a clear no!
I would count this as a logical trick (cloning a stacker mid-stack creating just the top remaining part of it) and It's already been used by Nepster and in some of my own stuff.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
No, it would just mean that if you cloned a stacker after it places a brick, but before it starts placing the next one, a brick would be placed on both sides.

But as mentioned, it appears to be impossible to do this anyway.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)