Author Topic: __ bot relays only Lix to #lix  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
__ bot relays only Lix to #lix
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
Hi,

we have separated the IRC channels #lix and #neolemmix. There is interesting discussion about both games, and some of us already sit in both channels. namida is happy with this separation, which is very important to me.

Current solution:

We're relaying this subset of all boards to #lix. We're relaying posts as notifications, not as messages.

Old first post:

Mindless's bot __ is relaying Lemmingsforums posts as follows: The Lix board is relayed to #lix, and everything else is relayed to #neolemmix.

Proxima wasn't happy about this change, because he relies on #lix for seeing new LF posts. On the other hand, I like the reduced bloat in the #lix channel logs, and Ramond is annoyed by any bot activity. What's your stance?

Furthermore, __ is now sending notifications, not messages. Messages are what people send when they type text and send it. IRC clients treat messages as more important than notifications. Notifications are about as important as joins/leaves of other users. Notifications aren't logged in the Nordicbots logs -- very good.

Alternatives for automatic notification about the Lix-unrelated content:
  • Use the forum's news feed (RSS, Atom).
  • Sit in both IRC channels, #lix and #neolemmix.
  • Ask Mindless to go back to relaying all posts to #lix, as notifications.
  • Ask Mindless to relay the Lix board, and all engine-independent boards, as notifications.
The forum's news feed needs a standalone program. [A modern browser is enough. >_>] If you don't use feeds for any other website, it's strange to install an extra tool to run in the background.

Since we have many posts per day, I've configured my feed reader to download the recent 60 posts every 20 minutes. You can configure the time in the program, and the number of posts in the feed URL:
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;limit=60

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:31:25 PM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: __ bot relays only Lix to #lix
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
Why would one need a seperate program? If I'm not mistaken, don't most browsers these days support RSS newsfeeds?

Anyway, for the record - my initial proposal was to relay topics from the Lix boards only to #lix, topics from the NeoLemmix boards (including the Bugs & Suggestions subforum) only to #neolemmix, and all other posts to both. This doesn't help those who only want to see notifications for the specific board, and not the general ones. (I don't think we need to account for those who don't want any notifications at all, as they can simply /ignore the bot.) Now, I'm not sure exactly what the best option is.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Very much possible that newer browsers do this for you. That's what I get for using 5-year-old technology. >_>

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
I don't know for sure about all browsers. Firefox supports it natively, while Chrome supports it via an extension. IE probably still doesn't even know not to freak out when it sees one.

Despite Firefox's native support, there are also Firefox addons relating to it. This may suggest that the native support is not optimal; or they may just pre-date it gaining native functionality for it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
IE probably still doesn't even know not to freak out when it sees one.

Unless you're using a very old version of IE, RSS feeds are supported even in IE.  Scroll to the bottom of any page in the forum.  Underneath the "SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines" text, you'll see 3 links listed one of which is "RSS".  Click on it.  If your version of IE supports RSS (the oldest I have at hand at the moment is IE 10 and it works there), it should offer you a "subscribe" link in addition to showing the feed itself.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »
<Ramond> main reason why I'm annoyed [...] it's only a bot telling there's a post to an uninteresting topic for me
<SimonN> yeah. What kind of posts are you interested in?
<Ramond> depends on the topic
<SimonN> yeah. What kinds of topic are you interested in?
<Ramond> no it really depends on the topic. i follow only a few certain ones, not a specific type of topics

-- Simon

Online mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »
<Ramond> main reason why I'm annoyed [...] it's only a bot telling there's a post to an uninteresting topic for me
<SimonN> yeah. What kind of posts are you interested in?
<Ramond> depends on the topic
<SimonN> yeah. What kinds of topic are you interested in?
<Ramond> no it really depends on the topic. i follow only a few certain ones, not a specific type of topics

-- Simon

is it really that difficult to ignore? While active on a chat you have to ignore everyone who's not currently talking about whatever it is your presently interested in as well. :-\
Not to mention all the other notifications that come up all the time like "Q left quakenet [split]"
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
It's problematic when he is not chatting. Ramond's client alerts about new messages. #lix doesn't have discussion 24/7, therefore that alert is reasonable.

I'd like to know how Ramond's client handles notifications instead of messages. Since yesterday, __ sends notifications, not messages.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:10 AM »
Relaying to #lix, this selection is independent from what's relayed to #neolemmix:

1. General Discussion
2. Lemmings Discussion
3. Lemmings Help
4. Lemmings Lab
5. Level Design
6. Fan Corner
8. Lix
14. Site Discussion

Not relaying to #lix:

7. Challenges
9. NeoLemmix
10. SuperLemmini
11. Other Projects
12. Non-Lemmings Gaming
13. Forum Games
15. Staff Board
16. Level Design Contests
17. Lemmings Reviews
18. NeoLemmix v2.00
19. NeoLemmix Bugs & Suggestions
20. NeoLemmix Closed Issues

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:33:15 PM by Simon »

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
is it really that difficult to ignore? While active on a chat you have to ignore everyone who's not currently talking about whatever it is your presently interested in as well. :-\
Not to mention all the other notifications that come up all the time like "Q left quakenet [split]"

My irc client handled ignore commands normally up until two months ago. Since then, I kept getting __ messages even after ignoring many instances of numbers of underscores (_, __, ___ etc.) plus the alternate name it sometimes had (^_, ^__, ^___). I've rechecked my ignore list a couple of times and it looks fine, all those usernames are on there. However I still keep getting messages.

From the most recent change, I no longer get any kinds of notifications from __, so all is well from my side.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »
Relaying

[..]

Not relaying

[..]

-- Simon

Is this what __ relays/(does not relay) to lix? Because that is an exactly perfect partition.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
Relaying

1. General Discussion
2. Lemmings Discussion
3. Lemmings Help
4. Lemmings Lab
5. Level Design
6. Fan Corner
14. Site Discussion

Are these boards being relayed to both channels or only to #lix?

I take it all of the ones on the "not" list (with the obvious exception of Staff Discussion) are being relayed to #neolemmix?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 06:24:13 PM »
The partition is what's relayed to #lix. There is no dependence between the #lix and #neolemmix relays.

Ramond has no problems with the bot notifications anymore, that's great. Thanks for clarification!

-- Simon