Author Topic: A note to anyone creating graphic sets for public use.  (Read 4107 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
A note to anyone creating graphic sets for public use.
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:24:04 AM »
When creating graphic sets you intend to publicly release - please give them useful, unique names. These guidelines (except the 16-character limit and the no spaces at start or end) are currently not enforced in any way by NeoLemmix itself, but this may change in the future. However, I won't add graphic sets to the auto-downloadable list if they don't comply with this, except for graphic sets that pre-date this convention and are widely used.

Remember, firstly, that graphic set names cannot currently exceed 16 characters, and cannot start or end with a space (but they may have spaces in the middle). The length limitation will change in the future, but it's how things are for now. For the record, this does not include the .DAT extension.

The recommended naming scheme is for the name to contain firstly the creator's username (or an abbreviated form of it), followed by an underscore, followed by the a descriptive name; all in lower-case. A pack name, in cases where the graphic set is strongly associated with a specific pack, is also acceptable instead of a creator's name.

For example, if I were creating a set called "pwnage", a good name for it would be "namida_pwnage". If it was for Lemmings Plus 100, then "lp100_pwnage" would also be acceptable. Just "pwnage" would not be in line with this convention, and just "graphicset5" would be worst of all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:17:00 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: A note to anyone creating graphic sets for public use.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
And here's my first comments (beyond "I plan to do X") on why this matters:

(From #lix chatlogs)
<namida42> so in other awesome news
<namida42> remember that Insanity In The Method level Nepster posted as a test case?
<namida42> well the level itself isn't important; what matters is that it uses one of the styles from an addon pack that's listed on the website, but not actually included in NeoLemmix itself
<namida42> anyway
<namida42> i just deleted the style from my NeoLemmix folder
<namida42> ran the level
<namida42> and it loaded perfectly
<GigaLem> oh nice
<namida42> how, you ask?
<namida42> i added a feature that will check online for missing styles and download them (only if the user has enabled it, of course)
<GigaLem> Dang
<namida42> currently, it only has support for the L2 / L3 styles as converted by IchoTolot, but i can very easily add styles to it at any time... i'm hoping to eventually automate it completely
<namida42> but right now, i have to manually add the styles to the list on the internet side (the player side requires no changes just to add a new style to the list)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
And here's my first comments (beyond "I plan to do X") on why this matters:

(From #lix chatlogs)
<namida42> so in other awesome news
<namida42> remember that Insanity In The Method level Nepster posted as a test case?
<namida42> well the level itself isn't important; what matters is that it uses one of the styles from an addon pack that's listed on the website, but not actually included in NeoLemmix itself
<namida42> anyway
<namida42> i just deleted the style from my NeoLemmix folder
<namida42> ran the level
<namida42> and it loaded perfectly
<GigaLem> oh nice
<namida42> how, you ask?
<namida42> i added a feature that will check online for missing styles and download them (only if the user has enabled it, of course)
<GigaLem> Dang
<namida42> currently, it only has support for the L2 / L3 styles as converted by IchoTolot, but i can very easily add styles to it at any time... i'm hoping to eventually automate it completely
<namida42> but right now, i have to manually add the styles to the list on the internet side (the player side requires no changes just to add a new style to the list)

That's pretty great! This should make downloading new packs and getting to playing a lot smoother!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »
That feature's been added with the V1.42n release. :) But there's a lot of room for improvement on in - especially on the server side of things (eg. actually allow direct submission of graphic sets, rather than me having to manually add them).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 02:48:43 AM »
Another important note:

Do not use the following object types. They are going to be removed, mostly due to being there for Cheapo compatibility (but some for other reasons).
- Exits with triggered animations (rather than constant)
- Secret level triggers.
- Two-way teleporters. (Use a teleporter and a receiver designed to look like a single object instead)
- Single-object teleporters. (Use a teleporter and receiver designed to look like a single object instead)
- Hints. (Not going to be removed as such; rather, they exist in the data, but are not supported in any way by the engine at this stage - and when they do become supported, chances are it won't be as objects)

Although splat pads and antisplat pads were also added for Cheapo compatibility, they are perfectly functional and have established themself as general NeoLemmix objects, so those will not be removed.

Some other object types I also intend to remove from objects and implement in other ways (eg. pre-placed lemmings, one way walls), but please continue implementing these as objects until such a time. I'll provide an easy way to convert them when that time comes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:53:57 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:05:16 AM »
Some other object types I also intend to remove from objects and implement in other ways (eg. pre-placed lemmings, one way walls), but please continue implementing these as objects until such a time. I'll provide an easy way to convert them when that time comes.

How will pre-placed lemmings and one-way walls be re-implemented? How will this graphics of the one-way walls like the flashing arrows in Psychedelic, the gigantic arrows in Clockwork and the (for want of a better word) "square-dancing" arrows in Abstract be affected?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 04:14:36 AM »
How will pre-placed lemmings and one-way walls be re-implemented? How will this graphics of the one-way walls like the flashing arrows in Psychedelic, the gigantic arrows in Clockwork and the (for want of a better word) "square-dancing" arrows in Abstract be affected?

The intention is for them to be standard, universal things, much like steel areas area (even if they're no longer used thanks to autosteel). In the case of one-way arrows, it will still be possible for a graphic set to specify custom graphics for them; with a default one in the case of graphic sets that don't do so (eg. the Sky set).

Pretty much, the intention is still to eventually move towards what was planned for the V2.00n project.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:20:36 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects