Author Topic: [PLAYER] [SUGGESTION] [ADDED] Determine regular / Xmas lemmings by graphic set  (Read 2180 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Status: This has been added. The design of implementing it has also been done in such a way that in future, users will be able to add more custom types of lemmings for their own packs, and link them to specific graphic sets.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:28:37 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [PLAYER] [SUGGESTION] Determine regular / Xmas lemmings by graphic set
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:18:55 AM »
Currently, whether a pack uses regular lemmings or the Xmas-y lemmings is determined by the pack as a whole, specifically which lemming graphics it contains.

I'm wondering how people feel about the idea of instead making this a per-graphic-set thing - this way, in a large pack, the Xmas levels could have the Xmas-y lemmings, while the normal levels have regular ones. It would also eliminate the need, where triggered objects (eg. teleporters, traps) are in use, to have two different versions of the graphic set depending on which one the pack uses.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
How about make it per-level rather than per graphic set?

Some graphic sets could be used for Christmas stuff, but maybe not always (like L2 Polar or Giga's snowy-rock tileset). Maybe I would like to use these for regular levels aswell as for Christmas themed ones ???
So a per-level decision would give the most customisation room as this way all levels regardless of the tileset can use the Xmas-y lemmings.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »
This problem depends on where the NL ship is sailing on the strategical level -- what are your main data structures going to be.

(Lemming style per graphic) may eventually run into this problem: From the view of a single level, there exist no graphic sets, there exist no packs. Graphic sets are trees of graphics. Packs are trees of levels. Is this still a design goal?

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
Some graphic sets could be used for Christmas stuff, but maybe not always (like L2 Polar or Giga's snowy-rock tileset). Maybe I would like to use these for regular levels aswell as for Christmas themed ones

I had thought about this, and was thinking that this could be overridden on a per-pack basis if the user so desires (in both directions - so one could choose between "determine from the graphic set", "always use normal lemmings" or "always use xmas lemmings"). Although with that being said, the different lemming graphics in traps would still need to be accounted for.

(Lemming style per graphic) may eventually run into this problem: From the view of a single level, there exist no graphic sets, there exist no packs. Graphic sets are trees of graphics. Packs are trees of levels. Is this still a design goal?

Although eventually I would like to move to more-generic formats, the intention has never been, and will never be, to go as far as Lix does, where the folders are literally nothing more than a method of organisation. It's probably better to think of the goal as being more like Lemmini's setup than Lix's, except with also allowing mixing-and-matching of graphic sets (but still having a "primary" one for each level).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:24:16 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects