Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] [ADDED] Remove SYSTEM.DAT Editor  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
[SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] [ADDED] Remove SYSTEM.DAT Editor
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Status: Added (or more accurately, removed) for the next update. I'll sort out the issue of what to do for vanilla Lemmix flexi packs if and when that arises.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:51:24 AM by namida »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] Remove SYSTEM.DAT Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
The system.dat editor is a relic of the old times when the FlexiToolkit was not yet flexible enough. Today, it is simply part of the wrong program having nothing to do with level editing itself. Furthermore most of its function are also available with the FlexiToolkit, and easier to reach there.
As far as I can see, only the following options are not yet selectable in the Toolkit:
  • Use X-Mas palette: Should be moved to an advanced option in the Toolkit.
  • LP III Style Skill Counts: Just remove this option altogether. What is so special here?
  • Timed Bombers/Stoners: Argh! I thought we had removed this option once and for all.
  • Unfix various L1 glitches: Please remove these options altogether. They are really not needed, even in the NeoLemmix version of L1.
Suggestion: Remove the SYSTEM.DAT Editor completely from the NeoLemmix editor. Less code for you, and an easier editor for us. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] Remove SYSTEM.DAT Editor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »
Use X-Mas palette: Should be moved to an advanced option in the Toolkit.
LP III Style Skill Counts: Just remove this option altogether. What is so special here?
Timed Bombers/Stoners: Argh! I thought we had removed this option once and for all.
Unfix various L1 glitches: Please remove these options altogether. They are really not needed, even in the NeoLemmix version of L1.

The Use Xmas Palette option and the L1 glitches options apply only to traditional Lemmix (keep in mind SYSTEM.DAT is used for the Flexi version of that too, although it's not too popular both to traditional Lemmix declining in popularity and its toolkit being much harder to use) - the former is because traditional Lemmix MAIN.DATs (and most other files, for that matter) are palette-based, whereas NeoLemmix's are RGB so don't need any palette switches; the latter is to allow users to have packs with whichever Orig, OhNo or Cust mechanics they prefer (or if they really want, combinations thereof). The Timed Bombers / Stoners option also only applies to traditional Lemmix now, as that option is ignored in NeoLemmix these days (hence why it's no longer selectable in the NeoLemmix-exclusive Flexi Toolkit).

The only one that is relevant to NeoLemmix is "LPIII Style Skill Counts". This option is more-accurately described in the toolkit as "Center Single-Digit Skill Counts".

That's also why it's still there - because it's the only way to edit a SYSTEM.DAT file for traditional. Though since no one seems to be using that (it's been used for a grand total of one level pack ever - cLemmings Ultimate Edition), maybe it's fine to ditch it... or alternatively, move it into a dedicated app of its own, remove the NeoLemmix-exclusive options, and add it to the traditional Lemmix Flexi Toolkit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:14:37 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)