Author Topic: Lemmings Revolution NOCD?  (Read 6259 times)

Offline hgdagon

• View Profile
Lemmings Revolution NOCD?
« on: January 21, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »
Hello. Since it's very healthy for a 15 ears old CD to spin each time I finish a level, I'd like to ask if there are any working NOCD's for the game?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Revolution NOCD?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:20:46 AM »
I dunno about actual No-CD patches; but have you considered ripping the CD to an ISO file, then mounting it as a virtual drive, using something like Daemon Tools? This way, you also don't have to worry about whether the crack may interfere with the game in other ways (or contain viruses; although I think the days of no-CDs being full of those are mostly over).

Just to be clear: I'm fine with the subject being discussed here; I just don't know the answer myself. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:26:15 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
There was at least one No-CD crack that even worked with the developers' patch. I don't have either.

-- Simon

Offline hgdagon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:16:58 AM »
I have found only 1 nocd on the net, a "loader". It contains the loader and crack, although the executable is DRM-Free. The crack won't even recognize the exe, and the loader itself simply doesn't work (with or without the Full Color patch). I tried copying the avi files and editing the registry, but the game says "invalid path for a CDROM". Couldn't we just HEX Edit the exe to read the videos from its directory, or like a "videos" subdirectory, I just have no idea what a CDROM request would look like in HEX. It's just strange for a year 2000 game to read files from its CD, while not having a DRM per se.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:18:36 AM »
That's generally how games worked back then - they'd check for a CD, and maybe load some of the larger data files directly from it, but beyond the CD check itself they'd have no DRM (except maybe a serial number), and a copied CD would work without issue. I remember Age of Empires 1 & 2 both working like this, too.

I would still recommend using the ISO and virtual disc method, since that doesn't involve any modifications to the game files (and for that reason, doesn't matter which exact version of the game you have); alternatively, you could try just making a copy of the CD itself if you have a burner and a blank disc, and use the copy (if the only thing you're worried about is wear and tear, rather than the inconvenience of needing to put a disc in).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »
It's just strange for a year 2000 game to read files from its CD, while not having a DRM per se.

That's true, I totally agree! But there are some versions/releases of LR that do have a DRM, safedisc -- But that is only from what other people have said else where on the internet that I've read. I personally have owned several copies of Lemmings Rev and never once came across one that was really protected by safedisc. :-\
Hunt the Nessie  :3