Author Topic: Backroute remakes  (Read 16889 times)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: Backroute remakes
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 11:16:25 AM »
Thanks, I must have had 'Out-of-date' Lemmus files.

I managed to pass 'The Great Lemming Caper' and it's repeat the same way, is that right?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 11:40:30 AM »
Can't be. What was your route?

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 11:45:36 AM »
Funny ISU pointed that out.  Although I didn't quite use the exact same way on both, now I looked back I realize the way I did the "Escapade" one works just as well for the "Caper".

Maybe you should consider removing the floater?

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 12:35:37 PM »
It is a known and uninteresting fact that Acrophobia can be solved with 100% saved without any direct-drop shenanigans, correct?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 12:45:20 PM »
Ah, the floater -- of course! Thanks for pointing that out........

I think I know your second 100% solution to Acrophobia -- does it involve building on the steps of one pyramid to make an unclimbable step? The question is just then whether that ought to be removed or not...... come to think of it, probably it should. Not difficult to do though.

I've updated the solutions page with yet another route on "If at first...". guest: did your route (allowing for the fact that the gap at the end has been enlarged to need two builders) use seven builders and a digger, or eight builders but no digger? If it used less than that it might be a backroute........

And to bring the number of solutions found to the original level up to eight, the same as "It's hero time", here's one that doesn't work on the Cheapo remake because the pillars are too far apart:

Send two atheletes over the first pillar. A1 bashes the second, A2 is turned round in the bash tunnel, and builds to the first pillar to the right point to mine to collect the crowd. A1 climbs the third pillar and builds to the exit. Release the crowd by bashing the third pillar.

- - -

EDIT: I have managed a floater solution on "Caper", but could you give me your _exact_ solution? I need to test it against the original game to check whether it _should_ be possible; maybe I need to lower the window instead.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 01:01:56 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1115385843/15#19 date=1115556320
I think I know your second 100% solution to Acrophobia -- does it involve building on the steps of one pyramid to make an unclimbable step?

Yep, you got it.  Though in case you are wondering, I did not apply the technique near the entrance area, as that would probably end up using more builders than I'd like.  (Though conceivably that could work too, I don't know.)

"If at first...". guest: did your route (allowing for the fact that the gap at the end has been enlarged to need two builders) use seven builders and a digger, or eight builders but no digger? If it used less than that it might be a backroute........

7 builders and a miner actually.  I didn't use diggers.

EDIT: I have managed a floater solution on "Caper", but could you give me your _exact_ solution? I need to test it against the original game to check whether it _should_ be possible; maybe I need to lower the window instead.

I'll e-mail.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »
OK, and thanks! Could you include your "If at first...." solution as well, since it seems to be one I don't have yet?

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 01:07:33 PM »
As for "Everyone is a Hard Nut", my solution doesn't seem to be any of the 3 you listed, although it seems closest to your 3rd solution mentioned on the website.

The thing of note though is that with my solution, everyone ends up taking basically the same, lower path to the exit.  There is no fuzzing with the one-way wall or any of the traps.  It does use up pretty much all the skills though.

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1115385843/15#20 date=1115557316
7 builders and a miner actually. &#A0;I didn't use diggers.

Sorry, miscount.  It's 2 miners not one.

Still want me to e-mail?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 01:13:33 PM »
Yes, please e-mail that and your "Everyone's a hard nut" solution, I'd like to know as many solutions as possible even if they're not backroutes.

I've fixed Acrophobia, btw. That solution doesn't matter on the first version (it's a nice touch that you can get 100%) but I do want the second to force the direct-drop backroute. I fixed it with metal blocks on the corners -- I can't see how it could be possible to do it with 100% other than by the backroute now.

(I'll send you the revised set as soon as I've finished with the other levels you've raised problems with.)

EDIT: OK, "Caper" is fixed as well now. Still not sure how I'm going to fix "If at first...." or "Dolly Dimple". And you didn't send your "Everyone's a hard nut" solution........

(I've also added another "Caper" solution to the outline solutions file.)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1115385843/15#17 date=1115552736
Maybe you should consider removing the floater?

Yeah  :agree:

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 03:06:45 PM »
I don't seem to see any difference between the two versions of "Everyone's a Hard Nut" in the set.  Other than the number of builders and climbers.

I probably just missed it, since I kinda ignored like 2/3 of the level.  Anyone care to point out where the differences are?

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 03:36:47 PM »
"Try Anything Once":  Has anyone tried this:  don't use the climber.  (Still saves only 49/50 though.)

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1115385843/15#26 date=1115564805
I don't seem to see any difference between the two versions of "Everyone's a Hard Nut" in the set. &#A0;Other than the number of builders and climbers.

Never mind, with the level preview, I see some steel was added for one version.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »
Yes -- the first time I passed "Try anything once" on the original level it was without the climber.