Author Topic: YOSHI'S WORLD  (Read 12274 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: YOSHI'S WORLD
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 06:35:40 PM »
Um.  

I'm afraid the minimum width you're allowed is 320.  

BUT this discussion has given me the idea of including one "special graphics" level in each difficulty rank in my own sets! Hey, I could have a lot of fun with this!!!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 11:11:59 PM »
Well, the terrain is 304 pixels wide. There'd be 8 pixels on either side of the level and you'd go down the level like such. And the level probably wouldn't be THAT hard compared to others, even in the first set of the four. I have an idea for a level design.

EDIT: Level is complete, with all its bad graphics glory. It even implements a few of the ISWorld level traps (The Yoshi trap, the lava pit, and the spinning blade). It isn't that hard, although I could, say, increase the save rate to 100% or something to make it harder? I'll post it soon.

EDIT2: Actually, thanks to a rather interesting timer coincidence, the level turned out to be a bit more of a puzzle than I expected. I think I can actually place it in the slot I wanted to place it: Set 3, level 4. (3-04 -- the width of every comic in pixels.)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 01:20:47 AM »
Double post, sorry. The level (And the revised ISWorld style -- I added a song to it for this level alone) can be downloaded HERE. Comment if you care to.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 08:37:46 AM »
Wow, I certainly didn't expect to get a level out of that off-hand comment this soon.  Cool.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »
This definitely is a pretty good level!  B)  It actually took me more retries to solve this than to solve "The Top Shelf" (not that the latter is easy in any sense, just that it's a different type of difficulty).  Amazing what a world of difference a short time limit makes.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 11:13:32 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1114653546/15#15 date=1115404540
BUT this discussion has given me the idea of including one "special graphics" level in each difficulty rank in my own sets!

That's exactly the same thing I was gonna do. Ya know what they say, great minds think alike!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 11:26:54 PM »
I just realised that I have a special graphics level in all but my 4th set now. The problem is, designing special graphics for a very difficult level will be quite difficult in itself.

I was quite surprised at the difficulty of this level -- It took me something like a dozen tries to pass: I wasn't expecting to have to use more than one...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 01:17:24 AM »
I just played this game, it's great! [Psychic map]

(please tell me if I spelled psychic wrong.)

--------------The comic is hilarious too.

|:|-, And if the green yoshi king hates blue so much then why is his throne room blue?
"IT'S TEAL NOT BLUE!!"

...hilarious....

EDIT:nice avatar Isu,

``~~~``

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 02:57:51 AM »
Almost forgot:

For those of you who don't "get" the level's joke, you'll need to have played Yoshi's Island to understand it.

In the game, there are things called "Fuzzies" -- they look like floating cotton balls with eyes. If Yoshi touches one, he "gets dizzy" according to the game. Actually, Yoshi sees a bunch of crazy colors and everything gets wavey and weird.

In the comic, Manny, after touching a "fuzzy," goes on a Yoshi equivalent of a really bad drug trip. The first four panels are a nightmare-ish scene, and the last two are when he snaps out of it, but sees his friend as a "neon box" -- I.E., the exit. (I needed to work the exit into there somehow...)

As for the comic, yes, I am still working on it. 2-2 is more like 50% done, not 0% done. I need to update that.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 07:37:23 PM »
I played your level, Very good (especially the music), the time limit seems a bit tight though

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:08:21 PM »
3:04 was an obvious choice for the time limit; I didn't think when I made it that it would be almost the exact amount of time required to pass the level. I hadn't planned on putting the level any later than the middle of set 1... then I noticed my time ran out about midway through panel #4 (Of 7) on my very first test run... The timer is what makes the player have to think a bit about the level's route. (There's still probably a few ways down the level...)

The music I got from a huge SNES MIDI site, but I can't find the author of the piece. The website? I'll post it soon.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 09:01:04 AM »
Hey, with the actual game, I'm now stuck at Caj.  I got the Beauty Spa card or whatever from the arcade, but it didn't seem to let me go inside that place.  Help?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »
I don't think the game's done quite yet, but Insane Steve says he's still working on it.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
Well, the last time I played the game before he updated it, you reach a point where you get an abrupt ending saying something along the lines of "you finish the demo, the real thing will be much bigger but is still being done".

So I'm kinda expecting that rather than getting stuck, the updated game would at least lead you to something similar.  Though I imagine it really is possible that Steve just posted whatever he got at the moment back then, ending or no ending.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »
There are multiple places the game could end, so there wasn't a good point to put an ending screen at.