Author Topic: YOSHI'S WORLD  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
YOSHI'S WORLD
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »
Who has played Yoshi's world?  Insane Steve made it, and because of that I didn't put it in the other games board.

Anyhow, this game is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.  Seriously.  You can find it on Insane Steve's website.  The comic that goes along with it is also great.

Oh, also, what language is that in Insane Steve?  Could you possibly give it to me or something so I could learn it?

Oh, and if you dropped that project, Insane Steve, then I encourage you to pick it up again.

I especially like the line

"Yes.  Let me go get my 5 million cubic foot tank and I will pick up the river."

Hilarious. :D

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: YOSHI'S WORLD
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:22:42 PM »
Yeah, Hilarious.  :mikelaugh:

Conway

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
I just read the cartoons. They're so gorgeous! X_X

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 06:35:55 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1114653546/0#1 date=1114701762
Yeah, Hilarious.

Sarcasm?

----------------

Does anyone know what language this game is written in?

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:59:13 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1114653546/0#3 date=1114713355
Does anyone know what language this game is written in?

I'm pretty sure that question was answered somewhere in Insanve Steve's website, and possibly in the game dialog.  I believe it is some sort program specifically for making adventure games.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:15:46 PM »
I think it's called "Adventure Games System" or something like that, judging from the "AGS" in the icon.

I wonder if the version I downloaded several months ago has been replaced by an update.  I should re-download it again.

I seem to recall from either an in-game comment or other sources that Insanve Steve found it to be a somewhat primitive system for making adventure games and was wishing for a bit more.  But then again, the game was more about humor than graphics, sound or storyline.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »
The page was supposedly updated April ninth, so your version could possibly be out of date.  The funny thing is that Insane Steve was on today, only he never found this topic, or he didn't post in it... O_o

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:02:24 AM »
Yes, it is definitely updated since December when I first downloaded it.  Cool!  B)

And Timballisto, don't you have XP on your computer?  On mine the file icon says very clearly

"Yoshi's World
Adventure Game Studio run-time engine
Chris Jones"

So we see that Insane Steve used this "Adventure Game Studio" thing to build the game, and Chris Jones is the person who made "Adventure Game Studio".  That should be good starting points for further Googling.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:26:29 AM »
I found it last night on google.  It was easy.  You just have to type in the name of the program.  Oh, and I post on a mac (ACK!) and I work on a 98 - It does what I want it to do already, so I see no point in getting XP.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1114653546/0#3 date=1114713355
Sarcasm?

Not really, I'll add a smiley.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 09:20:15 PM »
I somehow completely missed this thread somehow.

The game is written on "Adventure Game Studio" --  I can't remember the site.

Yes, the game is more humor-oriented. That said, adventure game plotlines and puzzles tend to be ridiculous. My artistic abilities are extremely limited, which is something I'm trying to fix but just can't for whatever reason despite practice. The music is the very last thing I'm adding.

No, I haven't dropped the project. I've been somewhat busy recently and haven't worked on it in a while. I have the plot and puzzles all complete; it's just programming the game. That's all. The point is, I'm trying to make a successful comic/game without any artistic talents whatsoever.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 09:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1114653546/0#10 date=1115155215
The point is, I'm trying to make a successful comic/game without any artistic talents whatsoever.

And it's working out quite well I'd say.  B) In fact, I think the bad art and music actually adds to the overall humor and irreverance of the comic/game.  I don't think it would work quite as well if you made the art look professional.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 08:25:49 PM »
I'm making a game in that program...actually, I'm using paint to do it.  The comuter I'm using doesn't have anything else.  It's still coming out quite well though, and I've taken to the 320x220 resolution.  I like to animate the cursors.  My walking cursor is an animation of foot steps.  The only thing I would still like to know how to do is script better and mess arouns with GUIs.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 08:46:22 PM »
Insane Steve, I just suddenly have this really wacky idea that you should make a Cheapo style based off of the bad graphics in your Yoshi's World comics and game.

...Okay, maybe I need to go easy on my medication.  :P  But who knows, it might work out well.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 11:05:50 PM »
I attempted to draw my own graphics set with "ISWorld" -- I'll let you figure out why I don't do my own styles. I'd have to try and make Yoshi lemmings, also. I have considered trying a Yoshi's World style.

I've considered making a "Yoshi's World: The Level" in Cheapo... Basically, a small comic strip pasted into a level. I just need to figure out a way to make an interesting level out of a strip -- I don't want it to be out of place like BeastII was.

Of course, it'd have to be a Vertical scroll level exactly 304 pixels in width...  ;P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 06:35:40 PM »
Um.  

I'm afraid the minimum width you're allowed is 320.  

BUT this discussion has given me the idea of including one "special graphics" level in each difficulty rank in my own sets! Hey, I could have a lot of fun with this!!!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 11:11:59 PM »
Well, the terrain is 304 pixels wide. There'd be 8 pixels on either side of the level and you'd go down the level like such. And the level probably wouldn't be THAT hard compared to others, even in the first set of the four. I have an idea for a level design.

EDIT: Level is complete, with all its bad graphics glory. It even implements a few of the ISWorld level traps (The Yoshi trap, the lava pit, and the spinning blade). It isn't that hard, although I could, say, increase the save rate to 100% or something to make it harder? I'll post it soon.

EDIT2: Actually, thanks to a rather interesting timer coincidence, the level turned out to be a bit more of a puzzle than I expected. I think I can actually place it in the slot I wanted to place it: Set 3, level 4. (3-04 -- the width of every comic in pixels.)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 01:20:47 AM »
Double post, sorry. The level (And the revised ISWorld style -- I added a song to it for this level alone) can be downloaded HERE. Comment if you care to.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 08:37:46 AM »
Wow, I certainly didn't expect to get a level out of that off-hand comment this soon.  Cool.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »
This definitely is a pretty good level!  B)  It actually took me more retries to solve this than to solve "The Top Shelf" (not that the latter is easy in any sense, just that it's a different type of difficulty).  Amazing what a world of difference a short time limit makes.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 11:13:32 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1114653546/15#15 date=1115404540
BUT this discussion has given me the idea of including one "special graphics" level in each difficulty rank in my own sets!

That's exactly the same thing I was gonna do. Ya know what they say, great minds think alike!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 11:26:54 PM »
I just realised that I have a special graphics level in all but my 4th set now. The problem is, designing special graphics for a very difficult level will be quite difficult in itself.

I was quite surprised at the difficulty of this level -- It took me something like a dozen tries to pass: I wasn't expecting to have to use more than one...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 01:17:24 AM »
I just played this game, it's great! [Psychic map]

(please tell me if I spelled psychic wrong.)

--------------The comic is hilarious too.

|:|-, And if the green yoshi king hates blue so much then why is his throne room blue?
"IT'S TEAL NOT BLUE!!"

...hilarious....

EDIT:nice avatar Isu,

``~~~``

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 02:57:51 AM »
Almost forgot:

For those of you who don't "get" the level's joke, you'll need to have played Yoshi's Island to understand it.

In the game, there are things called "Fuzzies" -- they look like floating cotton balls with eyes. If Yoshi touches one, he "gets dizzy" according to the game. Actually, Yoshi sees a bunch of crazy colors and everything gets wavey and weird.

In the comic, Manny, after touching a "fuzzy," goes on a Yoshi equivalent of a really bad drug trip. The first four panels are a nightmare-ish scene, and the last two are when he snaps out of it, but sees his friend as a "neon box" -- I.E., the exit. (I needed to work the exit into there somehow...)

As for the comic, yes, I am still working on it. 2-2 is more like 50% done, not 0% done. I need to update that.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 07:37:23 PM »
I played your level, Very good (especially the music), the time limit seems a bit tight though

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:08:21 PM »
3:04 was an obvious choice for the time limit; I didn't think when I made it that it would be almost the exact amount of time required to pass the level. I hadn't planned on putting the level any later than the middle of set 1... then I noticed my time ran out about midway through panel #4 (Of 7) on my very first test run... The timer is what makes the player have to think a bit about the level's route. (There's still probably a few ways down the level...)

The music I got from a huge SNES MIDI site, but I can't find the author of the piece. The website? I'll post it soon.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 09:01:04 AM »
Hey, with the actual game, I'm now stuck at Caj.  I got the Beauty Spa card or whatever from the arcade, but it didn't seem to let me go inside that place.  Help?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »
I don't think the game's done quite yet, but Insane Steve says he's still working on it.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
Well, the last time I played the game before he updated it, you reach a point where you get an abrupt ending saying something along the lines of "you finish the demo, the real thing will be much bigger but is still being done".

So I'm kinda expecting that rather than getting stuck, the updated game would at least lead you to something similar.  Though I imagine it really is possible that Steve just posted whatever he got at the moment back then, ending or no ending.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »
There are multiple places the game could end, so there wasn't a good point to put an ending screen at.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:01 PM »
In the demo, the "game" essentially "ends" once you get the card. The card has a purpose, but only in the full version of the game. Knocking the cans in the arcade over does something, that thing in the cave does something, a lot of things that do something in the full game are rather useless in the demo.

In the demo, the arcade is the only building that is accessable.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 11:30:44 PM »
Alright then, thanks, guess I'm done for now.  Still, it would be nice if your demos have a reasonable ending location.  For example, I don't mind if, when I try to enter the beauty shop, the game transitions to a shoddy ending screen or something.  Getting apparently stuck is not the greatest way to end a game demo, I'm sure you know.  ;)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 11:33:03 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1114653546/30#31 date=1116372644
Alright then, thanks, guess I'm done for now. &#A0;Still, it would be nice if your demos have a reasonable ending location. &#A0;For example, I don't mind if, when I try to enter the beauty shop, the game transitions to a shoddy ending screen or something. &#A0;Getting apparently stuck is not the greatest way to end a game demo, I'm sure you know. &#A0;;)

Good point. I think I'll end the demo right when you GET the card, using a downright ridiculous message device. Hold on a while.

The reason I re-uploaded the demo was to show the new menubar and cursors, to be honest.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »
How did you do that anyhow?  GUIs confuse me.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 10:16:52 PM »
GUIs are somewhat difficult. The first thing you need to do is upload pictures to the sprite manager that you want to use. Then, set up the pictures as buttons in your GUI. Then, use the script to explain what you what to do.

Here's an example of a GUI in my game. It is GUI #9 on my list.

The coding is as follows:

if (interface == 9) {
// They clicked a button on the death screen
if (button == 0) {
RestoreGameDialog();
}
if (button == 1) {
RestartGame();
}
if (button == 2) {
QuitGame(0);
}
}

Now, if button 0, the "Restore" button is clicked... the restore game dialog (The load function) shows up. If the middle button occurs, the game restarts. If the Quit button is pushed, the game quits without asking if you want to quit (Hence the 0 after "QuitGame").

I'll explain a bit more later. The help file can be quite useful for finding more advanced commands that I can't figure out.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:42 PM »
Cool!  Now this is new, the game hasn't quite yet let you kill yourself yet.  Can't wait to see what you have in store for the next update of the demo!  B)

And I bet I'll need to start using the "save/restore game" functions a bit more...... ;P