Author Topic: YOSHI'S WORLD  (Read 13600 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: YOSHI'S WORLD
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:01 PM »
In the demo, the "game" essentially "ends" once you get the card. The card has a purpose, but only in the full version of the game. Knocking the cans in the arcade over does something, that thing in the cave does something, a lot of things that do something in the full game are rather useless in the demo.

In the demo, the arcade is the only building that is accessable.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 11:30:44 PM »
Alright then, thanks, guess I'm done for now.  Still, it would be nice if your demos have a reasonable ending location.  For example, I don't mind if, when I try to enter the beauty shop, the game transitions to a shoddy ending screen or something.  Getting apparently stuck is not the greatest way to end a game demo, I'm sure you know.  ;)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 11:33:03 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1114653546/30#31 date=1116372644
Alright then, thanks, guess I'm done for now. &#A0;Still, it would be nice if your demos have a reasonable ending location. &#A0;For example, I don't mind if, when I try to enter the beauty shop, the game transitions to a shoddy ending screen or something. &#A0;Getting apparently stuck is not the greatest way to end a game demo, I'm sure you know. &#A0;;)

Good point. I think I'll end the demo right when you GET the card, using a downright ridiculous message device. Hold on a while.

The reason I re-uploaded the demo was to show the new menubar and cursors, to be honest.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »
How did you do that anyhow?  GUIs confuse me.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 10:16:52 PM »
GUIs are somewhat difficult. The first thing you need to do is upload pictures to the sprite manager that you want to use. Then, set up the pictures as buttons in your GUI. Then, use the script to explain what you what to do.

Here's an example of a GUI in my game. It is GUI #9 on my list.

The coding is as follows:

if (interface == 9) {
// They clicked a button on the death screen
if (button == 0) {
RestoreGameDialog();
}
if (button == 1) {
RestartGame();
}
if (button == 2) {
QuitGame(0);
}
}

Now, if button 0, the "Restore" button is clicked... the restore game dialog (The load function) shows up. If the middle button occurs, the game restarts. If the Quit button is pushed, the game quits without asking if you want to quit (Hence the 0 after "QuitGame").

I'll explain a bit more later. The help file can be quite useful for finding more advanced commands that I can't figure out.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:42 PM »
Cool!  Now this is new, the game hasn't quite yet let you kill yourself yet.  Can't wait to see what you have in store for the next update of the demo!  B)

And I bet I'll need to start using the "save/restore game" functions a bit more...... ;P