Poll

Would you like to see gamepads supported?

Yes, I'd like that
1 (16.7%)
No, I wouldn't use it
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: 2.00 Gamepad / etc support  (Read 6376 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
2.00 Gamepad / etc support
« on: September 22, 2015, 06:36:20 AM »
Final decision: No; not enough interest for it to be worthwhile.

So - while I'm sure the majority of users prefer to stick to a mouse - I'm wondering if there's any interest in having gamepad support as well? And if so, what suggestions you have for how it should work?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:35:12 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: 2.00 Gamepad / etc support
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
geoo has only rolled over in bed and said: "Gamepad? You can't play that with a gamepad. Maybe there are other games, but Lemmings? Seriously?"

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:22:40 AM »
Fans of the console versions may disagree. Personally, I couldn't see myself using it either these days; but my first experience with Lemmings was the Sega Master System version, and I had no problems with it back then (and this is a console where the Pause button is on the console itself, rather than the controller). To be honest, it's probably not the kind of thing I'll outright implement initially; but rather, if there's interest, I'll be sure to design it to allow for easily adding such an option at a later date.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »
Fans of the console versions may disagree.

Maybe, but I tend to think the gamepad isn't exactly the most endearing aspect of the console versions.  It's also worth mentioning that the PC version supports joysticks which is sort of like a gamepad (and it wouldn't surprise me if DOSBox has support to translate modern USB gamepad inputs into legacy joystick inputs).

While I feel like time spent on this probably can be better spent elsewhere with the game (plus, touch input feels more relevant these days), I suppose in the end it's mostly just another form of input not too different from mouse or keyboard.  You could even extend it into the input remapping system where functions can be mapped not only to keyboard and mouse, but also gamepad.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
From what I can gather, touch support on Windows works exactly the same as the mouse does. While some modifications may be needed to make it convenient, I don't get the feeling that any special treatment (other than not using right-click for any function) is nessecary to simply make it work.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
From what I can gather, touch support on Windows works exactly the same as the mouse does. While some modifications may be needed to make it convenient, I don't get the feeling that any special treatment (other than not using right-click for any function) is nessecary to simply make it work.

If you could some how make NeoLemmix into an Android app for my phone, then I would conceivably need/use the touch feature, which would be kind of cool to be honest. But otherwise I'm not interested in anything other than mouse+keyboard.

But with all the keyboard shortcuts and function in this game, it just doesn't seem like one very suitable for anything other than mouse and keyboard.

Actually; personally I would rather play with a controller than touch. At least with a controller you have multiple buttons to assign to for the various functions like save state and what-not. Well maybe this is because I'm not a big fan of touch controls yet.

there is one advantage with a  controller which I don't recall ever seeing anyone point out; if you have an unsteady hand like I do; it's easier to make precise movements with the controller D-pad. Not sure about a joystick or analog stick. but still, the disadvantages out-way that imo.

geoo has only rolled over in bed and said: "Gamepad? You can't play that with a gamepad. Maybe there are other games, but Lemmings? Seriously?"

-- Simon

I don't mean to pry, but what are you doing in bed with geoo?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:44:21 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »
If you could some how make NeoLemmix into an Android app for my phone,

Probably not going to happen, sadly. The graphics library I'm using barely works on Linux (it works, but very buggy); I doubt it'll work at all on Android. These are moot points given that it's a Windows app, but still.

I don't mean to pry, but what are you doing in bed with geoo?

Probably not literally in the same bed... more likely, something like seperate sleeping bags in the same room. They did mention having a sleepover, after all.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:30 AM »
Actually; personally I would rather play with a controller than touch. At least with a controller you have multiple buttons to assign to for the various functions like save state and what-not. Well maybe this is because I'm not a big fan of touch controls yet.

there is one advantage with a  controller which I don't recall ever seeing anyone point out; if you have an unsteady hand like I do; it's easier to make precise movements with the controller D-pad. Not sure about a joystick or analog stick. but still, the disadvantages out-way that imo.

Seems like touch would actually be comparatively better for unsteady hands in terms of cursor targeting, and keyboard gives you much more buttons to assign compare to the controller.  Ultimately, I think the inescapable conclusion is that keyboard and mouse works best overall, and also happens to be the input devices pretty much guaranteed to be available for almost everyone, unlike touch or controller.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 06:34:53 AM »
Seems like there's little interest in this, so it's probably not going to happen. Just to be on the safe side, I might take care to design it so that support can be added later, though.
My Lemmings projects