Poll

Lix multiplayer level contest?

Hell yes!
0 (0%)
No, not a good idea
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Results)  (Read 6731 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Level Design Contest #5 (Results)
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »
So, the 5th contest is over, and we have our two winners!

1st Place: Crane's "Tough Call"
Prize: US $12.50

2nd Place: IchoTolot's "Escape From Lemlab"
Prize: 1 month advertising (on hold)

Congratulations to our winners! Please contact me via private message to arrange for your prizes. If someone opts to choose the next contest's rules, the contest will go up shortly after they've been chosen, otherwise it'll start in a few days - I have a very interesting idea for the next one (of course, if one of the winners wants to choose the next one's rules, I'll just use my idea for the one after that).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:20:01 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Results)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
My congratulation to Crane! :thumbsup:

It really was the best level which made the best use of the special rule, together with a great solution and nice visuals! :thumbsup:
So it got also my own vote in the last round (little deja vu to the first contest :P).

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
The contest is over, here are the full results (qualifiers bolded):

Round 1, vote for (up to) 4 entries. Six people voted.

Lemming Mashed Potato Facility - 5
Tough Call - 4
Minefield - 1
Teleporters of doom - 0
Escape From Lemlab - 5
Electroshock - 5
Palmtree Pile-up v1.2 - 0

Round 2, vote for (up to) 2 entries. Five people voted.

Lemming Mashed Potato Facility - 0
Tough Call - 4
Escape From Lemlab - 3
Electroshock - 2

Round 3, vote for one entry. Five people voted.

Tough Call - 3
Escape From Lemlab - 2

This is what I wanted to see in every contest. Still no one has opinions on this? :P Clam agreed entirely with me in level voteoffs at least.

For example, we can see that Crane's Tough Call was placed 4th in the first round, but won the whole contest in the end. :) Congratulations Crane for another level design contest victory!  :thumbsup:

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »
Thank you everyone for voting!  I am curious as to what made my level stand out among the others.

I only voted for 3 levels in the first round, since I felt it wouldn't be right to vote for my own level and only 3 of the other levels really 'called' to me, although I'm not sure how many other people hold the same view.  If I had voted my own level it would have been a dead heat in the first round.

P.S. IchToLot was the closest to my intended solution, using the digger trenches to turn a group of lemmings around on that upper beam and sending them to the right of the level to buy time for the builder.  Who knows, maybe I can patch the level completely eventually.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:20:31 PM by Crane »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »
Regarding contest #6, I'm considering doing one that involves creating a Lix multiplayer level. There'd need to be some deviations from the usual setup in order to accomodate the unique needs for testing multiplayer. However, it could be an interesting idea. How do people feel about this?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
I don't know that much about Lix, so it will be a learning curve for me.  Speaking of that... Lemmings Multiplayer... *drools* (or Lix in this case) that's something I really need to start playing with someone.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
Oh yes, this was my intended solution.  Looking at it now with fresh eyes, I realise I have some improvements to make - for example, you can potentially save a lot more lemmings by not increasing the release rate until much later.  Heck, you don't really need to with the first digger, since you only need one lemming to survive the Ghostbusters trap.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
I've put up a poll regarding the idea of a Lix multiplayer design contest. Depending on the results, I might or might not go ahead with the idea.

I will state; it won't just be "design any multiplayer level", there'll still be specific criteria as always - I already have in mind what this will be. Should this idea go ahead, there probably won't be a distinct creation and playing phase as such, but they'll be combined into one large phase, due to the need for testing during development (and involving other people in this testing) etc.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
I had possible thoughts of future competitions like "single tool type" and "Builders only", which actually could be quite hard to make a level that's actually fun to play!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
Oh, wow. It seems that there's a strong feeling against the idea of a multiplayer Lix level contest, so I guess we'll go with a regular one for the next contest then. I'll put one up later today.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:12 AM »
I would have voted yes, but looks like I was too slow to do so (admittedly I didn't notice earlier).  Not that it would have made any difference.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
I would also be interested in a Lix multiplayer contest, but I didn't vote as I don't have much free time at the moment and probably wouldn't be able to enter anyway  :lix-sad:

(Seems there isn't a tearful Lix emoticon... I guess lix don't cry?)