Author Topic: Flexi Player - What would you like to see customizable?  (Read 5793 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Flexi Player - What would you like to see customizable?
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
So, I'm sure most of you have at least heard of the Flexi player. For those who haven't, it's basically a NeoLemmix player that's designed for use with custom level packs (the difference between it and NeoCustLemmix is that Flexi is designed for entire games, not just small packs that are essentially just a collection of a few levels); there's also a toolkit that allows creating an all-in-one EXE like the NeoLemmix players of official games and the Lemmings Plus series.

So at the moment, a fair few things can be customized, but I was wondering what else people would like to see added to its options? EG: At the moment, some of the texts cannot be customized, but they're also ones that when designing Flexi I felt were unlikely there'd be much interest in customizing, such as skill names etc. One thing that did come up in PMs a while back was more control over the configuration screen - currently, it's mostly pre-set, with just the ability to remove certain options such as LookForLVLFiles, challenge/timer modes, etc.

Just for the record, talismans are going to be supported in the next update, so no need to ask for those. :P

I also realise that a simpler method of using it - particularly for when it comes to building the all in one EXEs - would be quite desirable. It's on my to-do-eventually list. But, for now, what I'm more asking is what you'd like to be customizable, rather than how it's done. Feel free to throw any ideas, and those that have a lot of interest and seem reasonable I'll try and work into it at some point. (Obviously, things such as configuring game mechanics is unlikely, since ideally they should be consistent between all NeoLemmix packs; currently the only mechanics-related option in there (and even this I felt a bit uneasy about adding) is to revert the bombers back to being timed.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: Flexi Player - What would you like to see customizable?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »
A sprite editor - so we can safely edit sprites, And/or place sprites
(because i plan to use the Lemmings 2 back ground for GigaLems 2)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:22:09 AM »
I think the functionality you're talking about can already be customized, through either the graphic set editor or LemMain. Let me reiterate - this topic is about what should be customizable, not how you customize it. (And for the record, I do plan to make a more user-friendly replacement for LemMain, like I've done with the Graphic Set Tool to replace LemSet.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
Like placing & changing sprites with out the risk turning into a mess
for example the toolbar if your able to change in such a way with out hassle we need a way that we can do it
also why not make a lemmain sprite editor?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:19:30 PM »
If Flexi Player is the tool to create you own custon pack: As much details as possible should be customizable!
The more customizable it is, the more personal touch and unique style it gets.

But to get to the question directly, I care about:

1.) The addition of Custom Tilesets
2.) Music (Oh I have many ideas for this for my future reunion port, if I can finally use mp3 instead of mod :laugh:)
3.) A option to unlock all levels right from the start as standard not via cheat code (see my recent post in "codes vs save vs unlock-all")
4.) The texts (screens and menu) to attach an even bigger personal note

I'm sure most of it is supported right now (as I saw it in Lemmings Plus), but hey you asked and here is the stuff I care about :8():

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »
Lemmings Plus is compiled from source rather than using Flexi, but all of those things are supported. MP3 isn't, but OGG is, including looping OGGs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
I already converted a few mp3's to OGG in the past, so that should not be a problem. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »
Just for reference, NeoLemmix handles looping OGGs differently to how SuperLemmini does. SuperLemmini requires them to be split into two files; one for the intro and one for the looping section (I believe this is a limitation of the OGG library it uses). NeoLemmix, on the other hand, uses the "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH" metadata tags, which as far as I can tell is the more "standard" way of doing looping OGGs (although maybe it's not so much "standard" as just "used in several other apps too", since the library NeoLemmix uses doesn't natively support this but just supports everything needed to manually implement support for this).

This tutorial may help. It's intended for RPG Maker VX Ace, but exactly the same process will work for NeoLemmix. Alternatively, if you have your intended source music in VGM format, them BRSTM Convertor can convert those to looping OGGs. (I did at one point try to support VGM in (Neo)Lemmix directly, but had minimal luck doing so.)
My Lemmings projects