Author Topic: Important notice about old level format  (Read 3817 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Important notice about old level format
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:17:06 AM »
The NeoLemmix 2KB level format (the one based on the DOS format but with the unused bytes repurposed) is no longer supported from V1.33n of the player. Actual DOS / traditional Lemmix levels continue to be supported; and this old NeoLemmix format will for now continue to be supported by the editor. NeoLemmix features in these levels that were back-ported to traditional Lemmix (ie: custom music track selection and oddtabling) will also continue to be supported.

I don't think any levels still exist in this format, but if you have any, please upgrade them (by loading and saving in the editor, or re-dumping them from a player via the "Dump All Levels" option) to a newer format; the new variable-sized format is ideal, but the 10KB format is also remaining supported for the forseeable future.

The most obvious way to identify such a level would be if its filesize is 2KB rather than 10KB. Otherwise, assuming they haven't been upgraded since, levels are likely to be in this format if:
> They were made with NeoLemEdit
> They were made with a NeoLemmix Editor version prior to V1.16n-B
> They were made with a NeoLemmix Editor version prior to V1.25n-A and the "Extended Format" option was not selected

If they've been made or edited with NeoLemmix Editor V1.25n-A or newer, made or edited with NeoLemmix Editor V1.16n-B or newer and the "Extended Format" option was used, or mass-dumped from a NeoLemmix player V1.16n-B or later, they'll be in the 10KB format. This covers all NeoLemmix levels I've ever seen released, but in case anyone has any that they haven't released but want to keep, I'm making sure this is well known. As mentioned - the editor will continue to support such levels for now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:19:39 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: Important notice about old level format
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 02:32:34 AM »
This feels daunting does this mean i can't leave blank space
will you add a Crop/Resize feature? (if you haven't already)
Good thing the levels im making are V1.32n-b :sweatdrop:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
This feels daunting does this mean i can't leave blank space
will you add a Crop/Resize feature? (if you haven't already)
Good thing the levels im making are V1.32n-b :sweatdrop:

Why would it mean you can't have blank space? The 2KB format levels had a fixed size of 1584x160, yes; but there's no reason at all why a 10KB or variable-size level can't have a size of 1584x160 too; they just don't have to. Unless you have even-older NeoLemmix levels you haven't released, all your levels are in 10KB format that I've seen.

As for crop/resize; there's no automated feature for it, but there is a "Shift Level" feature that, together with manually changing the size of the level, will get it to the size you want.

To the best of my knowledge, the only released NeoLemmix levels that weren't in 10KB format were the Lemmings Plus III levels when they first came out, but these have LONG since been upgraded to the 10KB format anyway.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:41:11 AM »
that's a relief