Author Topic: Player V1.31n-B, Editor V1.31n-C Released  (Read 13025 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Player V1.31n-B, Editor V1.31n-C Released
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
Player update

Main notes:
- New graphic set format is supported. You can use the NeoLemmix Graphic Set Tool to create/modify graphic sets in this format; LemSet does not (and will not) support it.
- It should be noted that if a new-format and old-format graphic set are both available to the player (whether internal or external), the new one takes priority.
- Slight mechanics changes to blockers, bombers and zombies. These shouldn't matter for most levels (though you may have to re-create replays), but should be tested nonetheless.
- One new gimmick has been added, which makes all four sides of the level deadly. This gimmick was chosen by DynaLem, who won the opportunity to pick one as a level design contest prize.
- Several bugfixes, mostly relating to NeoCustLemmix.

Changelog
---------
* Adds support for a new, more flexible graphic set format. Graphic sets in this
  format can be created using the NeoLemmix Graphic Set Tool. A graphic set in this
  format can also be used as a VGASPEC, in which case everything other than the
  first terrain piece is ignored.
* All built-in graphic sets (and the copies provided with the Flexi Toolkit) are
  now in the new format. VGASPECs remain in the old format, as it's a single file
  per VGASPEC either way. The only exception is Copycat Lemmings, which still uses
  the old format for now for technical (/ laziness) reasons.
* All levels are now treated as unlocked while Cheat Mode is active.
* Added a new gimmick, "Deadly Sides". This gimmick causes all four sides of
  the level to act like fire objects. (There is no editor update which lists this
  gimmick yet; in current versions use the (Gim28) checkbox.)
* Made a lot of adjustments to improve symmetry of various skills. Most are only
  affected graphically, but blockers and bombers have slight mechanics differences.
* Moved water objects from the main trigger area map to their own seperate one,
  so that objects such as pickup skills can be placed within water (for swimmers
  to get them) without weird results.
* Fixed the bug where level preview texts would not show on secret levels when
  accessed via a secret level trigger.
* Fixed the bug where NeoCustLemmix would crash when mass-dumping levels or images
  if the secret level slots were empty.
* Fixed the bug where NeoCustLemmix had reverted to saving auto-named replays with
  the rank name and level number rather than using the level title.
* Fixed the bug where lemmings could get below the level in a No Gravity level and
  become unable to do anything other than walk back and forwards endlessly.
* Fixed the positioning of the exit in H94 Hail 3.

V1.31n-B
--------
* Fixed the fall distance in Cheapo Mode
* Supports graphic sets of non-standard resolutions
* Adds sound effects to some OhNo traps
* Fixed the bug where, upon first starting a player, if you don't change the rank
  you'll go to the first level, rather than the first unbeaten level

Download links:
DropBox
NeoLemmix Website: (Players | Cust | Flexi)

Editor Update

Main notes:
- Supports the new graphic set format. Note that the current auto-detection algorithm will not correctly detect new graphic sets if their filename starts with g_, v_ or x_, or if the name of the set (by filename) matches another graphic set (ie: if you have an old-format graphic set "g_blah.dat"/"v_blah.dat", and a new format graphic set "blah.dat", the new one won't be detected). I hope to improve this in future updates, but for now, there's little reason to use names like that anyway so it should do the trick.
- Graphic sets that aren't numbered can now have an "Order" parameter, so that they're in a specified order rather than defaulting to alphabetical.
- Please note that NeoLemmix-format levels saved with this version will generally be completely incompatible with NeoLemmix versions prior to V1.24n (though I doubt anyone is still using any version that old anyway). This is because it doesn't associate a graphic set number with new-format graphic sets, so all saved levels purely use a graphic set name only; NeoLemmix versions prior to V1.24n have no support for this.
- Unless you manually add the old-format graphic sets back in, NeoLemmix playtest mode will only work with V1.31n (or newer, when new versions come out) of NeoCustLemmix.

V1.31n-A
--------
> Supports the new NeoLemmix graphic set format.
> An order number can now be specified in styles.ini files to manually reorder styles that don't
  have an ID number.
> The "Deadly Sides" gimmick is now listed under it's proper name instead of (Gim28).
> "Rickroll" in the gimmicks list was changed to the more accurate name "Bait-and-switch".

V1.31n-B
--------
> Fixed the bug where NeoLemmix-specific options for terrains / objects / steel areas would be
  disabled, even while editing NeoLemmix levels, if a Lemmini / SuperLemmini level had been
  edited since starting up the editor
> Fixed the bug where regular Lemmix levels (and very old NeoLemmix levels) couldn't be loaded
  properly in NeoLemmix style, and had to be loaded in Lemmix style then converted
> Added a "Mass Conversion" tool, to facilitate quickly converting large numbers of levels
  between formats (note: conversion from newer engines (NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini) to older
  engines (Lemmix / Lemmini) is not recommended)
> Completely reworked the "Validate Level" menu, and improved support for issues specific to
  various level formats

V1.31n-C
--------
> Supports NeoLemmix new-format graphic sets with non-standard resolutions
> Fixed a bug relating to the fall distance in levels converted to Lemmini / SuperLemmini from
  Lemmix / NeoLemmix formats

Download:
DropBox
NeoLemmix Website
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:47:25 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.31n, Editor V1.31n-A Released
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
The accompanying editor update is now here. Added details to the first post.

Attached image: The same level as in an earlier screenshot, now shown in the editor, in full 24-bit color. :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:01:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
I definitely like the Candy land graphic theme. Maybe If I can find time I'll try to add to it myself.

I was hoping you'd fix the bug where the face left and other boxes aren't available when they should be. Seems to happen to me always when opening a Superlemmini level then converting it to NeoLemmix.

Maybe it's because I'm opening a level which was saved with old Lemmix?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
It's still a high priority on my to-do list. Generally, with the editor, new version numbers (eg: V1.30n -> V1.31n) are solely to add support for corresponding new player features (in this case, the graphic set), and the bugfixes tend to come in the -B, -C etc updates.

I don't think the fact that you used a different editor in the past will have anything to do with it, but the conversion between SuperLemmini / NeoLemmix is indeed a very likely possibility - since SuperLemmini mode disables these options, it's possible they're not switching over properly. (Although with that being said - SuperLemmini supports the face left option too, so it's weird that that one wouldn't be. The ones I'd expect to be likely to remain disabled, if anything, would be the S and L Values...)
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:42:47 AM »
I've been saying something wrong;
I've been opening OLD Lemmini levels and then converting to NeoLemmix. In case that matters, I wanted to clear that up, sorry.  It probably does since old Lemmini does not support the left facing entrances.
In any case; the flip and one way features are also disabled. It's always these same features [namely all the "new" ones. the stuff that wasn't present in old Lemmix]

EDIT:
I just did a quick check and it seems that either I haven't installed old Lemmini files yet or NeoLemmix doesn't support old Lemmini? Either way it seems to open the level up in SuperLemmini style even though these levels I'm referring to were saved in old Lemmix for old Lemmini.
I'm getting confused now :XD:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »
NeoLemmix Editor definitely supports old Lemmini, but you do need to install the Lemmini graphic sets manually. However, doing so is as simple as copying the contents of the Lemmini "styles" folder into the "Lemmini" subfolder of the editors "styles" folder.

The main reason why this is done instead of including them with the download is because of Lemmini / SuperLemmini's licence agreement. Although technically including them wouldn't violate it, as I'm distributing the graphic sets with an editor, not with Lemmini / SuperLemmini themself; that's kind of a loophole that isn't really adhering to the spirit of the agreement.

If you're opening them as SuperLemmini levels, this shouldn't matter at all. The editor doesn't even tell the two apart; it just won't recognize SuperLemmini-exclusive features when loading in regular Lemmini style. If you're loading in SuperLemmini style, then from the editor's point of view, Lemmini and SuperLemmini levels are the same thing.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
Although technically including them wouldn't violate it, as I'm distributing the graphic sets with an editor, not with Lemmini / SuperLemmini themself; that's kind of a loophole that isn't really adhering to the spirit of the agreement.

Actually, it would. If you read the "Legal Stuff" section of the Lemmini site, you'll find this bit:
Please note that also the distribution of the resources extracted by Lemmini is not allowed; neither with or without the Lemmini engine. If you need help to extract the resources from the WinLemm data for your own Lemmings port, just contact me or have a look at the source code.

It's not in the game's disclaimer, though, so I'll add it in the next version.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »
In that case, the potential loophole would be to write my own code to extract them in Lemmini format. Still, same thing about the spirit of it and all that applies (not to mention there's little proof that that's how I've done it, unless of course I included the extract functionality in the editor; which would be redundant for any reason other than proving that such has been done).

With that being said - would I be right to assume that this wouldn't cover content that isn't extracted, such as the Xmas graphic set and special level graphics? (Or are they indeed included but just not used in WinLemm's data? I'd especially be interested to know that about the latter, given that the levels that aren't in the Windows version, the LVL files for them are still there... SuperLemmini's versions of them do indeed seem to be higher resolution, but perhaps they come from the Mac version?)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
I've read the section on Legal stuff. This quote here:
Please note that also the distribution of the resources extracted by Lemmini is not allowed; neither with or without the Lemmini engine. If you need help to extract the resources from the WinLemm data for your own Lemmings port, just contact me or have a look at the source code.

...doesn't look like "I forbid you do distribute the extracted stuff." Rather, it reads like "the extracted stuff is copyrighted by third parties, and therefore you should not distribute it."

That interpretation is true general for anything coming from the Lemmings games.

Hypothetical people can ignore it and take their software from the net once they're cease-and-desisted by Sony, which will probably not happen unless it's becoming extremely popular. There is no reason why including things extracted from Lemmini makes it any more likely. I'm not a lawyer. Copyright monopoly laws suck.

Old post by me, explaining why I don't ship Lemmings graphics nonetheless with Lix

-- Simon
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:44:23 PM by Simon »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
The accompanying editor update is now here. Added details to the first post.

Attached image: The same level as in an earlier screenshot, now shown in the editor, in full 24-bit color. :D
From the looks of that photo do we see a possible Lemmings plus IV

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
I've been saying something wrong;
I've been opening OLD Lemmini levels and then converting to NeoLemmix. In case that matters, I wanted to clear that up, sorry.  It probably does since old Lemmini does not support the left facing entrances.
In any case; the flip and one way features are also disabled. It's always these same features [namely all the "new" ones. the stuff that wasn't present in old Lemmix]

Alright, I've looked at this a bit more, and it seems that this error, once triggered, persists until you restart the editor; it's triggered by converting a Lemmini level (whether regular or SuperLemmini) to NeoLemmix format; any other conversions don't seem to trigger it. Now, to look into why that happens...

EDIT: Found the cause. What happens is that the piece properties box checks first whether it's in a Lemmix-based mode or a Lemmini-based mode. If it's in a Lemmix based mode, it then checks whether it's NeoLemmix; if it's in a Lemmini-based mode, it checks whether it's SuperLemmini. What was going wrong is that it wasn't actually turning off the "I'm in Lemmini mode" flag; thus it would check if it was in SuperLemmini mode (which it wasn't), not if it's in NeoLemmix mode. Since the answer to this is "no", it therefore assumes it's in normal Lemmini mode, and will disable any options that aren't there. Other dialog boxes (gimmicks / stats / skillset) didn't have this flaw, so they worked as expected.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:43:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.31n, Editor V1.31n-B Released
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 05:09:47 AM »
Editor V1.31n-B update released.

V1.31n-B
--------
> Fixed the bug where NeoLemmix-specific options for terrains / objects / steel areas would be
  disabled, even while editing NeoLemmix levels, if a Lemmini / SuperLemmini level had been
  edited since starting up the editor
> Fixed the bug where regular Lemmix levels (and very old NeoLemmix levels) couldn't be loaded
  properly in NeoLemmix style, and had to be loaded in Lemmix style then converted
> Added a "Mass Conversion" tool, to facilitate quickly converting large numbers of levels
  between formats (note: conversion from newer engines (NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini) to older
  engines (Lemmix / Lemmini) is not recommended)
> Completely reworked the "Validate Level" menu, and improved support for issues specific to
  various level formats

DropBox
NeoLemmix Website

Note that cases should be VERY rare when you need to actually convert Lemmix / Lemmini levels to NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini ones respectively if you aren't also making any changes to them at the same time, since in both cases the new engine can use the old one's levels directly. The conversion is more useful for converting Lemmini/SuperLemmini to Lemmix/NeoLemmix and vice versa.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:16:02 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 12:23:16 AM »
Editor V1.31n-C update. Player V1.31n-B won't be far away either.

V1.31n-C
--------
> Supports NeoLemmix new-format graphic sets with non-standard resolutions
> Fixed a bug relating to the fall distance in levels converted to Lemmini / SuperLemmini from
  Lemmix / NeoLemmix formats

DropBox
NeoLemmix Website

Player update is here. Note that no updates are available for my fangames to V1.31n-B, as I'm going to go through and test them under the new mechanics etc and make official updates instead.

V1.31n-B
--------
* Supports graphic sets of non-standard resolutions
* Adds sound effects to some OhNo traps
* Fixed the bug where, upon first starting a player, if you don't change the rank
  you'll go to the first level, rather than the first unbeaten level

EDIT: Discovered a (very minor) graphical glitch relating to one-way walls in this version (and most likely V1.31n as well). Am reuploading a fixed version.
EDIT: All DropBox copies (including Cust and Flexi) have been reuploaded with the glitch fixed; NeoLemmix website copies are currently uploading now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:23:41 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 03:50:34 AM »
With that being said - would I be right to assume that this wouldn't cover content that isn't extracted, such as the Xmas graphic set and special level graphics?
I'm almost certain that you're correct there.

(Or are they indeed included but just not used in WinLemm's data? I'd especially be interested to know that about the latter, given that the levels that aren't in the Windows version, the LVL files for them are still there... SuperLemmini's versions of them do indeed seem to be higher resolution, but perhaps they come from the Mac version?)
The special graphics come from the Mac version, with the exception of Covox and Prima, which come from the DOS version. The Windows version doesn't have them in its data files (as far as I know), but it does include the level files.

As for the Xmas set, only the graphics that are specific to that set (terrain pieces 12, 13, and 30-36, and objects 10-12) aren't from the Windows version; all the other graphics of that set come from the Snow set.

I've read the section on Legal stuff. This quote here:

...doesn't look like "I forbid you do distribute the extracted stuff."
I'm not a lawyer either, but as I see it, that's exactly what it means; he just didn't refer to himself.

And I agree that the current copyright laws suck. And with copyright constantly being extended just to keep Mickey Mouse out of the public domain, I'm surprised that it's not already indefinite.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 03:53:37 AM »
What's the Cheapo fall distance now? Your level documentation still says that it's 80.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.31n-B, Editor V1.31n-C Released
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
I may have to re-investigate exactly what it translates to in terms of length of a survivable fall; what I do know for sure is that it now matches up with what's survivable in Copycat Lemmings / Cheapo. Mayhem 9 of Copycat Lemmings was used as the guinea pig to test this, as it contains an easily-accessible fall that's only very slightly over the maximum.

The actual number set (in the code) for the fall distance is 75 now, but that doesn't directly translate to a fall distance of 75 pixels, due to things such as the first few pixels being treated as just downwards movement due to the lemming's current action rather than actually falling. There's also cases where depending on what skill the lemming was performing before falling their initial fallen distance may be slightly lower or higher than zero, in order to ensure that ultimately the lemming can safely fall the same distance (in absolute pixel terms) regardless of what it was doing beforehand; you may recall that a lemming that was a walker prior to falling can survive a very slightly longer fall than one who was a miner in L1, that's one of these kind of cases that the adjustments apply to in NeoLemmix.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »
Just as a point of interest, I've now finished testing and updating all my level packs to this latest version (previous official version was V1.30n-B). V1.31n had the most major mechanics changes in quite a long time; about 20% of levels needed new replays (of which about 3-5% needed to be remade almost from scratch, while the others worked up to about half way at least - most worked until the last move or two) but were still completely possible; these percents are estimated, not actually calculated. Only about 0.18% of the levels actually needed to be modified to remain possible (or in other words, just one level out of the entire 560 levels of Lemmings Plus series and Doomsday Lemmings combined; Genius 19 of LPII).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 04:54:46 AM »
All I really need is the new difference between L1's fall distance and Cheapo's fall distance. That way, I can adjust SuperLemmini to use a more appropriate fall distance for levels that use the Cheapo gimmick.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:11 AM »
76 pixels = safe, 77 pixels = fatal, it'd seem (at (Neo)Lemmix resolution).

Another detail that should be implemented on those levels is that one-pixel diagonal gaps (ie: when corners are touching) can't be slipped through in Cheapo. "Cheapo Mode" also reflects this in NeoLemmix. This is absolutely crucial to some Cheapo levels; in Copycat Lemmings alone there are some that are rendered impossible and others that are rendered trivial by not implementing this difference.

The other major change of Cheapo mode relates to teleporters, which SuperLemmini doesn't support.

Currently, any converted Cheapo level will most likely rely on a VGASPEC file, which would then need to be manually converted to a PNG for SuperLemmini to use (or did you add VGASPEC support?). However, when I finally get around to updating CheapoCon (or replacing it with a more user-friendly tool) I'll make sure to add an option to export to a more SuperLemmini-friendly format, especially now that Cheapo graphic sets can be fairly easily converted to SuperLemmini with the graphic set tool.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »
In that case, you need to update the level documentation since it still says that that gimmick just changes the fall distance to 80 pixels.