Poll

Which type of level do you prefer?

Time limit levels
Infinite time levels
Both

Author Topic: Timed vs. Infinite Time levels  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Timed vs. Infinite Time levels
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
It used to be the tradition that lemmings levels have a time limit. Many levels in the earlier ranks have over 5 minutes to allow for the level to be open-ended and easy, while the later ranks usually only give a lower time (for example, you only get one minute in Mayhem 3 "It's hero time").

However, recent levels like those in Lix and Lemmings Plus Omega have started to use infinite time. namida's recent contest has also had us use either 99 minutes or infinite time depending on what engine we used.

What is your opinion? Do you prefer levels to have a time limit, or infinite time?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Timed vs. Infinite Time levels
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
If the time limit is just an extra annoyance that makes little difference to the level, then the level is better off without it. If the time limit adds to the puzzle in some way (eg. Mayhem 3) or is even the main focus of the puzzle (eg. Mayhem 16), then IMO it's a good thing.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:46 AM »
I can see the merits of timed levels iff the timer is an intentional challenge in the puzzle. I do like to do this on occasion.

It has also been suggested that some semblance of my likeness be used for the "ZTIMER RAGE!!!!1" image warning players of the occasional timed puzzles in Lix builds. I'm fine with this. *shades descend*  :lix-evil: :lix-evil:

That said, if you aren't intentionally designing your level around a specific time limit, use infinite time.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:49:17 AM »
It has also been suggested that some semblance of my likeness be used for the "ZTIMER RAGE!!!!1" image warning players of the occasional timed puzzles in Lix builds.

I consider not warning the player about a timed level, a bug (!) in Lix, not only a missing feature. Bugtracker entry. That, and the next-level button, are interesting development aims -- for when I feel like going back to C++ again. ;-)

I'm fine with this. *shades descend*  :lix-evil: :lix-evil:

Yes, people shall deal with it.

-- Simon