Author Topic: Editor V1.29n-A Features  (Read 9259 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Editor V1.29n-A Features
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
Okay, so here's a list of features for the V1.29n Editor, being added to the list as they're added to the editor. Obviously, some things that it goes without saying will be in there (such as compatibilty with V1.29n features), but haven't been added to this list yet because I haven't implemented them yet.

If there's anything you'd particularly like to see implemented ASAP, feel free to bring it up in this topic. That's not to say I guarantee it'll make it in, but I will make a note of it - and if it's fairly simple, it most likely will get into the release.

> The "Compile Styles" is a thing of the past; graphic sets will be used directly.
> Graphic set organisation has been made much tidier, and simpler to add to
> The NeoLemmixStyles.INI has been tidied up a little bit; some completely unused entries have been removed (such as Oddtable and MAIN.DAT references)
> Supports graphic sets with purely a name and no number
> Regular / Alternate paste mode options (the latter of which was added a few versions ago) can be configured from the in-editor Settings menu
> The test mode style (whether to display preview/postview screens) can be configured in the editor; this option only works with NeoCustLemmix and requires V1.29n-B or higher*
> The various types of steel areas in V1.29n are now all editable

* V1.29n-B hasn't been released yet. V1.29n was meant to support it, but it doesn't work due to an oversight in the coding.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:27:16 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Editor V1.29n-A Features
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
I'm currently working on making it MUCH more convenient to add new styles to the editor. It'll only be of limited help with traditional Lemmix levels, but it should make things virtually drag-n-drop for Lemmini, NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini. :)

Basically, the new setup will be that there's a "styles" folder, and the NeoLemmixStyles.ini file will be in there. But it doesn't have to have information about each graphic set; just about each collection of graphic sets (ie: you'd need the "NeoLemmix" entry, the "SuperLemmini" entry, etc; but you wouldn't need an entry for the Dirt style, an entry for the Fire style, etc). Each collection of sets is in its own subfolder in here. Within these can (but doesn't have to) be an INI file with further info.

For Lemmini styles and SuperLemmini styles, as well as NeoLemmix styles using the new "g_[name]"/"v_[name]"/"x_[name]" naming scheme, you can simply copy the styles into the respective folder and NeoLemmix Editor will automatically detect it next time you start up the editor. You can also do this for traditional Lemmix styles (and NeoLemmix styles using the older "ground#o"/"vgagr#"/"vgaspec#" naming scheme), but of course it can't magically pull a name out of thin air, so in-editor they'll simply be referred to as, eg, "VGAGR0" or "VGASPEC0". That's where the optional INI comes in - you can define names for these styles there.

The INI can also be used for (Super)Lemmini styles, or NeoLemmix styles with the newer scheme. This could be useful if, for example, you want to also assign a graphic set number to a (Super)Lemmini style, which of course could matter if you're saving the style directly to a Lemmix format. Or, if you want a tidier or different name than the style's internal name (for example, you might rather have "Dirt" than "dirt", or you might prefer "Christmas" to "xmas" or "Sunsoft Special" to "hebereke").

As far as actually implementing it (rather than just planning it) goes, I've so far only implemented it for (Neo)Lemmix styles, and haven't implemented support for the optional INI yet. It'll be implemented in full before the release, though. That aside, the only thing left to implement is support for the variable-sized one way areas that are used in Cheapo level conversions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:06:19 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
That would be an awesome feature!  :thumbsup:
In traditional Lemmix I only added all new Lemmini styles into the ini, so it wasn't a big problem there, but in the NeoLemmix editor it seems a bit tricky to copy all my gathered tilesets to SuperLemmini and other systems (I had lots of trouble with Christmas(how I named it) beeing now xmas; the different folders you have to create and manage and so on).
The idea (if I got it correctly) of having one style folder with the basic sets for all and simply just copy all the new tilesets for NeoLemmix, Lemmini....  in the dedicated folder without changing the ini every time would be a blessing  :laugh:
I stay with Lemmix for the rest of my pack (112/150 btw  ;)), but after that is done: With this feature it would be much easier to get into the NeoLemmix editor (together with the tutorial you are planning to do maybe)  :thumbsup:

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
Seeing IchoTolot's entries to the level contests and you working on easy access to new styles, I wonder how much work it would be to add support for L2 styles (or at least the Shadow and Egyptian style) in NeoLemmix levels?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:24:26 AM »
I don't know too much about the L2 styles, but from my understanding, they're tile-based rather than piece-based. This could make them quite fiddly to use.

Unless you're meaning "take the Lemmini conversions of these styles, and make them into NeoLemmix-compatible styles", in which case that shouldn't be too hard at all. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:16 AM »
The idea (if I got it correctly) of having one style folder with the basic sets for all and simply just copy all the new tilesets for NeoLemmix, Lemmini....  in the dedicated folder without changing the ini every time would be a blessing  :laugh:

Not quite. There's still a dedicated folder for each engine (or collection; as you might want to have one folder for Orig, one for OhNo, etc when working with Traditional Lemmix); these folders have to be listed in an INI (though of course, there'll already be entries by default for CustLemm, NeoLemmix, Lemmini and SuperLemmini). However, adding new styles to the folders will simply be a matter of copying the folder into the style, without having to modify the INI - although with traditional Lemmix (and NeoLemmix in the case of styles using the VGAGRx.DAT / GROUNDxO.DAT naming system), you'd probably want to modify an INI (but don't have to), if you don't want them to simply be named "vgagr0", "vgagr1" etc in the editor.

Also, the need for the "Compile Styles" option is no longer there; in fact the option itself will be removed. The editor can now load the styles directly. (I've already implemented the direct-load without compiling, I haven't removed the Compile Styles menu option yet but at the moment there's no point in using it.)

Once I'm closer to getting it fully implemented, I'll post some screenshots to better illustrate how it works.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 05:23:57 AM »
Unless you're meaning "take the Lemmini conversions of these styles, and make them into NeoLemmix-compatible styles", in which case that shouldn't be too hard at all. :)
Then I am saying precisely that ;).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 05:28:50 AM »
Alright, I'll look into it once I'm done with the editor update and touching up the Cheapo tools. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »
I remember you were going to try to convert NaOH's occult tileset to NeoLemmix (as seen in this post, the link to the tileset in this post.) How's the progress on this one so far?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
I had actually forgotten about that one. That's another thing I'll have to put on the todo list.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
Not quite. There's still a dedicated folder for each engine (or collection; as you might want to have one folder for Orig, one for OhNo, etc when working with Traditional Lemmix); these folders have to be listed in an INI (though of course, there'll already be entries by default for CustLemm, NeoLemmix, Lemmini and SuperLemmini). However, adding new styles to the folders will simply be a matter of copying the folder into the style, without having to modify the INI - although with traditional Lemmix (and NeoLemmix in the case of styles using the VGAGRx.DAT / GROUNDxO.DAT naming system), you'd probably want to modify an INI (but don't have to), if you don't want them to simply be named "vgagr0", "vgagr1" etc in the editor.

Sounds also very easy to handle, if you can show how to rename those tilesets (with just standard names I definately must write a list for which is which).

I don't know too much about the L2 styles, but from my understanding, they're tile-based rather than piece-based. This could make them quite fiddly to use.

Sounds perfect  :thumbsup:  You already got Egyptian and Shadow through my contest entrys, but on top of that I attach the Sports tileset to this post  ;)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
There's also Pieuw's Castle tileset, which comes with PimoLems.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
Alright, an update on this - it's now working for (Super)Lemmini styles as well. I still need to implement the optional INI file, but that's it. :)

I've also got it correctly sorting the graphic sets into order, instead of just having them in a semi-random order (specifically the order dictated by the filesystem, which is invisible to the average user). The sorting priority is (with the first point being highest priority):

1. Regular graphic sets before VGASPEC / specials (which won't usually matter anyway as they'll never be listed at the same time)
2. Lower IDs before higher IDs
3. Where all else is equal, they're sorted in alphabetical order by the name
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
New style system is fully functional now. I just need to make the changes that correspond to Player V1.29n's changes to steel areas, then I can release the update. :)

EDIT: So far, I've made it able to preserve these settings (though I still need to test that said code works properly, which I'll do within the next 10 minutes). I haven't yet added support for editing these settings.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:41:37 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects