Author Topic: The Crystal Maze  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
The Crystal Maze
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
Not sure where to put this as it's a TV game show.

Anyone ever seen this old but wonderful and adventurous game show? For those who don't remember (including myself for I don't completely remember the show), it involves six team members and the host traveling around a building of five areas, which are are Aztec, Future, Medieval, Industrial/Ocean (the latter being in later seasons), and the Crystal Dome. In each area are doors which have puzzles behind them. A team member must complete the puzzle to obtain a crystal, which is needed for the Crystal Dome. The team member must complete the puzzle in the alotted time; if they don't complete it, they get locked in the room by the host. In order to free the team member, the other members of the team need to obtain a key somewhere.

At the end is the Crystal Dome where team members must grab gold papers or something like that in the alotted time, the time being based on the number of crystals they collect.

Feel free to correct me if there's anything I got wrong.

Here is the Series 1 opening to refresh your memory.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystal Maze
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »
yuuup
was one of my favorite shows back in the day (was born in England)

Aztec was my favorite zone.

at the end of the zones, each crystal they had got throughout the puzzles would give them 5 seconds per crystal in the dome.
There was a 50/50 mix of silver and gold papers.   every gold they put into the slot would be 1 point, every silver would deduct 1 point.
So they had seconds to grab and try posting only the gold ones to get the 'good' prize

Good prizes were pretty shit anyway , like a parachute jump hehe.
Id rather have the losing prize (one of them crystals in a nice box)

(you can get some of the series on torrent)
anyone into puzzles etc should definitely watch it.  Its fun!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: The Crystal Maze
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Oh yes. Me too! Out of all the game shows around on the Challenge TV channel, Crystal Maze was definitely one of my favourites along with Gladiators and Robot Wars.

I do remember a few physical games where climbing, building, and digging were essential.

So, to correct, each crystal is worth 5 seconds of time inside the dome, 100 gold after the deduction of silver meant the big prize, contestants are allowed to come out without getting locked in if they fail to complete the challenge, and lastly freeing a locked-in contestant (whether they want to or not) comes at the price of one crystal, rather than a key.

As for my favourite zone, I'm split between Futuristic and Aztec.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3